Pros & Cons of recorded MOT on DVLA GOV website if car exempt

15 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

Don't let it be false reassure as the MOT only tests certain items and the testers are only permitted to do certain things to expose/identity corrosion.

A second pair of eyes but not a certificate of absolute roadworthiness.

That depends on the tester, the one I use is well versed in classics and I go through the cars with him and he will if required point out things that arent covered by the test or the fact that something will need doing in time. Also the new brake tests will pinpoint even slight anomalies that on follow up can show things like a cylinder not sliding properly in the back plate or pads wearing odd. You just have to know how to interpret these things.

Stuart.

I take my 250 for a MoT every spring. Usually no problems, however this year he did spot a small crack developing in an engine mount. Not a fail but it was repaired before it got worse. Had I not had the car MoT'd I would probably not have noticed.

2 hours ago, stuart said:

That depends on the tester, the one I use is well versed in classics and I go through the cars with him and he will if required point out things that arent covered by the test or the fact that something will need doing in time. Also the new brake tests will pinpoint even slight anomalies that on follow up can show things like a cylinder not sliding properly in the back plate or pads wearing odd. You just have to know how to interpret these things.

Stuart.

+1 

Iain

My local ‘classic friendly’ garage is 5 minutes away & I take the car there for an MOT. It also gives me the chance to take a look myself when up on the ramp & at the very least to spray some Waxoyl around! Never failed or had advisories but I get a little ‘peace of mind’ for a short while.

I think we had a discussion about this a couple of years ago.

In this man’s country the Contrôle Technique stations are totally independent and have nothing to do with the repair of anything. So there are no vested interests.

It is with pleasure that I take my 3A along to my local centre every two years to have it checked over - it has no special consideration/dispensation as a Classic/Historic vehicle (this is my choice). They are very good at informing me of the things I missed. 85€ well spent in my view
Like most of us I think, I fail to understand why Classic cars here only have to be tested every 5 years or at a change of ownership. I find it alarming to meet folk who have a nice car but don’t know the front end from the back, with all the consequences.

james

2 hours ago, roy53 said:

What were the powder coating issues

Roy

I suspect the usual ones with that process, you get a chip in the coating for whatever reason and so water gets in under the coating and quietly rusts away the metal unnoticed until all you have left is the shape of the item in powder coat but nothing underneath!

Stuart.

On 11/2/2023 at 10:36 AM, roy53 said:

What were the powder coating issues

Roy

Tie rod lever to vertical upright. Powder coat failed resulting in nyloc nut loose. So metal to metal with no powder coat in between. Lesson learnt years ago now.

Told my mate about it and when we checked his, just the same.

Regards Harry

All of the above, plus as I take three cars to the same place each time I get the tickets for £35, still in 2023!

Proof of good maintenance, and am I the only one still gets a sense of chuffedness that I'm doing an OK job with the cars, when they pass,  the TR especially?

John.

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

am I the only one still gets a sense of chuffedness that I'm doing an OK job with the cars, when they pass,  the TR especially?

John.

No you are not alone. Being and ameteur spanner man I alway tell my mot guy what I have done. Ie complete suspension up grades etc and he pays particular attention to these areas. 
I also get the chance to have a look underneath properly as he has a raised area for the mot’s

Votex in congleton if you are local

great for VAG group cars too.

B8BF0328-0E73-406A-8102-74C3B4CE42AA.jpeg

CA75C2F9-CC06-45CA-A927-04FE2FD9D2E8.jpeg