ST Spitfire Preservation.

Off topic a little but my recent Spitfire purchase that I bought from California where it was sold new is in an amazing condition.

The car is 54 years old and still sporting its same paint, neglected a little but starts on the key straight away, as there aren't a lot left in the UK (15 are registered)

I am unsure what to do with it, I have sent a mail to CAR magazine to see if they would be interested in an article for their mag before i get rid of the dirt on the paintwork.

Its a quandary wether to renovate it, or use it as is, one thing is for certain the british climate will take hold if some sort of protection isn't applied before winter.

under the boot floor is just ST paint and in perfect condition, amazing.

post-4234-0-77983300-1530952410_thumb.jpg

post-4234-0-74592700-1530952456_thumb.png

post-4234-0-73090900-1530952482_thumb.jpg

Lovely, Pete. My Ma had a '65 Mk.2 in BRG, back around 1971, and l have a soft spot for them, tho the handling l remember as a bit lairy, in certain conditions. If this were mine, l'd defo keep it 'oily rag' but, as you say, with application of some serious anti-corrosion treatment.

Best,

Tim.

I would keep it as it is and make it a reliable runner.

A friend has a Jaguar SS, 1936, similar treatment, no bling, very nice.

Waldi

That's the Mk1 only Alan - seems there are 17 still registered as such but there lots more registered under the various later marks, plus there are 1500 registered as just 'Triumph Spitfire' so maybe some of those are Mk1s also.

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=triumph+spitfire

That's the Mk1 only Alan - seems there are 17 still registered as such but there lots more registered under the various later marks, plus there are 1500 registered as just 'Triumph Spitfire' so maybe some of those are Mk1s also.

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=triumph+spitfire

Come on Rob you must behave!

First we had the DVLA won't recognise a TR250 so they call it a TR5.(trubbish)

now your suggesting that the old DVLA lump all spitfires in one basket?

If you go and google "how many left" the site gives the number of cars left by Marque, I found only 15 MK1 cars registered, soon to be 16 I hope.

Pete, you perfectly know what to do with this car : selling it to your French best friend, it will join my small fleet of 6 Spitfires (Mk2 to 1500FH) :P

As always the DVLA precision on what model a car is poor.

However the one data point they normally get right(ish) is date of manufacture and/or date of first registration

So a quick look at MK1 Spitfires shows that currently they have 22 Mk1 Spitfires first registered between 1962 and 1966 (there are also a few in 1969-1971 which we can regard as probably incorrectly recorded)

If we look again at the Spitfire Bucket group (i.e. those not recorded as MK1, Mk2, Mk3, MK4 or 1500) we find that currently they have the following number of cars first registered in 1962 = 1, 1963 = 55, 1964 = 57, 1965 =68 which I think it fairly safe to say most must be MK1's.

So at a rough ball park figure I think it means that Licenced and Sorned there must be about 200 MK1.

Alan

well lads it seems I have made a wrongful interpretation of the amounts of MK 1 Spitfires, and I bow to those who can assimilate figures far better than myself.

Apologies for my misconceptions, I must confess to being unable to find reverse gear this evening, It must have been an MG tech drawing man having a revenge moment.

well lads it seems I have made a wrongful interpretation of the amounts of MK 1 Spitfires, and I bow to those who can assimilate figures far better than myself.

Apologies for my misconceptions, I must confess to being unable to find reverse gear this evening, It must have been an MG tech drawing man having a revenge moment.

TRy pushing the Stick Down and into First for the selection of Reverse.

Are we sure there was even a MK1 Spitfire think its best known as a Spitfire 4 then came the MK2,MK3,MK4 1300 and to finish the MK4 1500.

Edited by TR NIALL

Hey no apologies required, most Statistics are dammed lies anyway and no guarantee that my interpretation is any better ;) And hey that's still a rare nice car, makes TR6's look as common as muck!

Alan

88.2% of statistics are made up on the spot. :lol: .

Niall is righ, same kind of gearbox as on Heralds, so reverse near the driver right knee on a LHD car. Only the single rail gearbox (1500 FH) as the reverse on top right.