Aluminium head - coolant

Hi All

I have just acquired a TR4 with a recently rebuilt engine incorporating a new aluminium cylinder head.

Moss say that you MUST use waterless coolant with their aluminium heads.

I'm not sure if this statement is issued by the technical director or the commercial director but I do not understand why this is considered this to be technically mandatory. I am more than willing to change the antifreeze/demin water mix every 12 months but I do not want the hassle or the cost of running with waterless coolant. I also do not know as yet which antifreeze to select but there are many suitable for aluminium engines.

Can I ask the view of those running alumium heads what in their view are the alternatives to running with waterless coolant

Thanks and regards

Rog

Hi Rog,

Moss refer to 100% summer coolant for the Mini head https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/aluminium-cylinder-heads-1275cc.html

Not sure what that means.

I would have thought a 50/50% of normal Blucol type antifreeze would do the trick - but keep an eye on it.

You could also flush the water ways with something like Alocrom1200. This applies a skin that is quite corrosion resistant - used extensively in aerospace.

If possible steer clear of the waterless stuff in my view.

Roger

Hi Rog ~

My 'E'-type has run with water/antifreeze for years without any problems.

Tom.

But does your E-Type have an alloy head or block?

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Moss are obviously desperate to try and avoid corrosion from water, trouble is the water free anti freeze doesn't have a good reputation for shifting heat. There's a number of rolling roads won't work on cars with it in, the overall head temperature is said to increase although the boiling point is lifted (no water).

Initially Stag owners were very interested in the product because of the idea that it stopped overheating which you don't want on aluminium heads, however I'm very happy running mine on old fashioned anti freeze, the thought of Stag heads reaching even higher temps than is current is unsettling.

Mick Richards

Moss USA say water antifreeze mix.

Now if there was anyone scared of litigation.......perhaps anyone in the land of the ambulance chasers.

https://mossmotors.com/cylinder-head-aluminum-alloy-with-valves-springs?assoc=53882

Many thanks all

I will go ahead and use a 2yr blue antifreeze mixed in the recommended ratio with de ionised water and ..... Keep my eye on it.

Best regards

Rog

Do it simple, as most of the modern cars have an engine w/ an aluminum head, why do not use a std modern coolant which include an inhibitor to avoid internal corrosion ? (Note: to change the fluid on a regular basis).

This is what I am doing since ’96 on my Stag TV8

Regards

Edited by Marc R

I remember we always used 'green' antifreeze for alluminium engines. No doubt the green was a colourant, but it did signify the correct inhibitor for alluminium

I know alluminium is particularly susceptible to corrosion, so the PH of the coolant has to be more alkaline, and green antifreeze had more phosphates / silicates in it to raise the PH.

Kevin

With an alloy head I’d go for something like Halfords advanced summer coolant. Suitable for mixed metals! Personally I’d also steer clear of waterless coolant.

You might want to jump to about 10 mins in

Alan

Thats why its banned for racing in the US.

Stuart.

In an under bonnet fire, mixed with burning petrol, plastics etc, the waterless coolant will burn in a much more excitable fashion than is demonstrated in Alan's video . . . . . . as if any under bonnet conflagration wasn't bad enough already ?

Cheers,

Alec

In 1981 a Japanese business man visited and went out in my freshly repainted TR250. He asked me " What is the block made of? " I said " Iron. " He said " Good! What is the head made of? " I said " Iron. " He said " Good! ". Knowing of Alfas, Ferraris, BMWs and E-Types with one or both in aluminium it took well into the next century for it to dawn on me why he thought so. An extensive article in Hemming's Sports and Classics featured a 250 GTE ( cheapest way to get a 3 litre V12 in a Ferrari ) detailing how the engine was rebuilt. The block was so corroded water poured out of the side. Can you imagine the heads? The only aluminium in my TRs' cooling system is the thermostat housing - and I'm !@#$! glad of it!

The engineers at the factory where we get the water cooled brakes we fence claim it takes 4X the flow of glycol as water to carry away the same amount of heat ;) . Moreover, corrosion inhibitors required in anti-freeze preparations are famous for expiring - after which the glycol corrodes nicely!

Cheers,

Tom