If you know anybody with a Halfords trade card, then you get a healthy discount on batteries with one. I measured the space took a tape measure and bought the biggest one that fitted. Sorted.

Mick

You guys across the water seem to have some good deals on batteries. Here in the colonies, a good battery is normally well over $100, and AGM batteries are closer to $200. Rolled construction AGMs are even more.

Ed

Consider the Halfords Battery with calcium 'HBC072' I think they have a four year guarantee.

I just replaced mine at 8 years old.

Roger

+1 for Roger. Mine is 6 years old and still going strong. The only other point is it likes the 18 ACR alternator which can kick out 45amps!

Bruce.

Crikey. What sort of load are you running then Bruce? If the battery is OK you should see a momentary peak of 20A or so charging current just after starting which will quickly drop back.

I remember back in the 80’s you could get a battery that came with a lifetime warranty. Replaced mine 2 x free of charge with a new warranty. Eventually sold the car and that meant the warranty lapsed. Samsonite I think ?

Crikey. What sort of load are you running then Bruce? If the battery is OK you should see a momentary peak of 20A or so charging current just after starting which will quickly drop back.

Hi Rob! The issue for me was that the 15 ACR alternator was not man enough for a TR6 as it was not much better than a C40 dynamo. If one had the lights on,+ heater blower+ wipers + indicators. The the pump played a tune in line with the rise and fall of the current and the indicator flashing slowed, especially when waiting at a junction to turn, with the 18ACR all that tune has gone and the indicators flash at normal speed.

Bruce.

Ah I see what you mean. I thought you meant it made a change to the way the battery was charged. Sounds like an original '6 really was on the edge.

If it's of use to anyone, my 15 ACR was changed to give a 45 amp output at very small cost decades ago - the auto electrician changed some of the standard Lucas components over during a rebuild.

As I recall he could have gone to much higher charging rates than 45 amps - but I wasn't game to put more than that through the 1969 wiring loom with it's ammeter.

+1 for Roger. Mine is 6 years old and still going strong. The only other point is it likes the 18 ACR alternator which can kick out 45amps!

Bruce.

+2 for Halfords calcium. I've had the 072 size on my car for 6 winters now and it never fails to start, even after a long lay up in cold weather.

Nigel