Lumpy acceleration - not timing...

TR6 CP PI 1972.

It was proving a bugger to start, but once going was running very nicely.

I got the RWC (equivalent to UK MOT) at the mechanics last Wednesday and am able to drive it for purposes of testing / maintenance on an unregistered vehicle permit until the appointment for reregistration with VicRoads next Tuesday.

Anyway, after the difficulty of starting, she was driving well. Yesterday I drove about 40kms at 90-100kmh in 30+ degree heat to ensure that all the cooling was working as advertised, which it was. Accelerated fairly hard at times.

In the afternoon, I did the same, but then accelerating out of one corner, she suddenly became very lumpy under load. No pinking and backfiring, just lumpy. Once up to speed it was OK, but just lumpy low down in the trq band.

I got home, pulled each injector and had a nice cone in each into a glass jar with engine running. No problems there (Bosch Fuel pump with separate relay too). I figured maybe the dizzy shifted slightly in some spirited acceleration so timing became my starting point.

(In the course of events, I have found why she was being difficult to start - I had one of those screw isolators on the neg terminal and it looks like that it has shorted (not been tight enough) and reducing the current. I replaced it for a normal brass battery terminal and she starts much better now, firing before the key is released! It wasn’t the earth lead in the end, but very closely related!).

Anyway today the timing I have adjusted the dizzy all over the place. I’ve tried setting 11° BTDC and setting the dizzy when the light just goes out. I’ve also then tried with the engine running where the RPM rises. Nothing cured it.

There’s a back road with two sidings about 500m apart near me so I have been able to go into each to readjust a smidgeon so can test multiple setting sin a short space of time.

I’m starting to think that it is something else now. I had recently replaced the capacitor, so put the old one back in. Rotor arm is DD. plugs dry and gaps 0.025. Biscuit colour ends. Points gap is checked at 0.015.

Any suggestions please of where to look next?

Edited by stallie

Have you had a look at the distributer cap, is there any sign of the spark tracking along cracks? Another option could be a sticky advance/retard mechanism. Another thought, I had a similar problem a while back and the new contact breakers were sticking and not opening/closing properly.

Good luck

DaveN - It was cool in the afternoon and today. Problem persists, thus it's not heat related.

John L - I replaced the dizzy cap with the older one. No change. Contacts are unchanged (as I bought the wrong ones in the last Moss order grr...)

Graeme - Not an area that I have yet investigated.

Your refer to lumpy under load, is that just low revs?

My Pi has was very poor at pulling away at low revs from either a stand still or slow corner but OK when above 1500'ish revs. That was throttle synchronisation and needed an air flow meter (£40'ish) to balance the inlets.

Had to see why that would suddenly come on if the car was running well. Have you checked that the inlet manifold bolts are tight against the head? They can work loose and allow air in.

Does the engine stall at tickover if you screw the idle speed air screw fully in? If the engine keeps going it points to an air leak somewhere. (Manifold, brake servo etc.) or unbalanced throttle linkages.

Alan

Edited by barkerwilliams

Mike,

Yep, new plugs a month ago. Gap OK and biscuity brown colour.

What would suddenly " let go" that would cause this. As I mentioned, it was working just fine with relatively enthusiastic driving. Then there was a quiet slow stretch (50) for 3 kms through a town and accelerating onto the main road that it started.

Edited by stallie

Stallie,

Are you saying that the running gets rough as you come out of corners? OK otherwise?

How much fuel in the tank? An injection system cannot tolerate air in the fuel line, unlike carburettors where the air is excluded in the float chamber. If your tank is near empty, then slosh in the corner can expose the pickup and the bubbles will go all the way to the injectors, where the fuel will dry up until more comes along.

My Pi would not accelerate beyond 3-4K just after I installed it. Turned out to be that the choke cable was jammed, and was holding the lever slightly open. So slightly that it took ages to spot. Worth a check?

JOhn

Edited by john.r.davies

If it's only happening under load and the plugs look OK it's probably related to fuel supply. I know the plugs look OK but check for fuel weeping from under the MU- fuelling diaphragm failure gives a rapid onset of rich running. If a nitrile diaphragm was used when your MU was rebuilt it will only last a few hours on Australian high octane unleaded. However I should note that if this happens the plugs generally carbon up fairly quickly .

A few years ago I had intermittent, lumpy acceleration issues which I think I pinned down to a failing coil. Might be worth you testing yours.

Cheers, Darren

+1 for the coil beginning to fail under load, sounds very similar to my friends problem CP which we fixed last year.

Good luck,

John

Yes had the same thing happen on the way to goodwood this year.

Cheers

Tim

A Bosch coil is a bit over $40 at Supercheap. Much as I hate swapping over electrical parts to check if they're faulty this may be the cheapest & fastest way out of a coil problem. Christmas is coming and the weather is warm and sunny- not a good time to be stuck in the garage.

Thanks for the replies all. I focussed on the coil and did as you suggested Mike and grabbed one on the way home. I replaced both it and the LT wire to the coil.

I've taken it for a run through some back roads here in perfect afternoon temperatures after a hot day and it now appears to run just fine...

If it's the coil I'll be peeved as it's brand new from Moss (the gold sport coil). I'll test it when I get a chance. It could also be the wire.

In Aus think about a Bosch coil GT40 type for pre '73 non ballast,

<< http://www.myshopping.com.au/PT--171_Auto_Parts_Bosch_Ignition_Coils__fs_15234_54057_e__

GT40 coil type << https://www.sparesbox.com.au/ignition-coil-gt40-bosch-gt40?utm_source=CommissionFactory&utm_medium=14626&utm_campaign=Sparesbox

" Coils came up in TR2-3 recently:- from another thread on this forum"

My research says this is the blue coil that will do a TR.

Bosch Ignition Coil Pt No 0221 119 027 K

spec https://au.bosch-aut...coil-0221119027

More info http://360.haubits.n...ition Coils.pdf

This book says SU12 is standard coil (with screwed terminals!), GT40 is performance and GT40T is racing type (all 12 volt)

For TR6 with ballast resistor - Add R suffix - SU12R is standard etc.

Thanks for the replies all. I focussed on the coil and did as you suggested Mike and grabbed one on the way home. I replaced both it and the LT wire to the coil.

I've taken it for a run through some back roads here in perfect afternoon temperatures after a hot day and it now appears to run just fine...

If it's the coil I'll be peeved as it's brand new from Moss (the gold sport coil). I'll test it when I get a chance. It could also be the wire.

Simple check - Is the LT wiring the correct way round on the coil top?

- ve terminal connected to the distributor LT terminal (white with black trace originally) and + ve the feed from the loom?

If not the car will run like a bag of poo when under load....

Peter W

I had hoped to get the Bosch, but ended up with some other brand (unballasted) from Repco as Bosch was sold out of there and SuperCheap. No time to source anything else after work, and I if it didn't run tonight, I would forfeit the registration appointment fee tomorrow which at $50 is more than a Bosch coil...

Anyway it's running, and I might change the coil down the track.

Peter - thanks, yes the LT wiring was correct, I did check that.

Cheers. Dan