I must be particularly thick this morning Rog but I can't follow that.

Mick Richards

I must be particularly thick this morning Rog but I can't follow that.

Mick Richards

Mick I think it might be this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39561822but lets face it BP have not exactly covered themselves in Glory recently either (Deepwater horizon)

Thanks for that guys, I now follow the drift.

Regards BP and it's actions in the Gulf it would come as no surprise that all corporates are strong in their statements of support for the environment but singularly fail in their actions where by so doing would cost an extra cent. Combine this with other firms involvement in the disaster and it could be argued that BP received a bad press on it because of it's national identity.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Ok so we would rather it did not happen but at the sake of tarring everyone with the same brush, what company in any African state operates totally ethically?

Which African nation uses foreign revenues from selling its resources to benefit it's people and does not enrich their presidents (dictators)?

To generalise, my view is that the treatment of the peoples of Africa by it's own leaders is a disgrace.

Alan

Edited by barkerwilliams

Ok so we would rather it did not happen but at the sake of tarring everyone with the same brush, what company in any African state operates totally ethically?

Which African nation uses foreign revenues from selling its resources to benefit it's people and does not enrich their presidents (dictators)?

To generalise, my view is that the treatment of the peoples of Africa by it's own leaders is a disgrace.

Alan

It's not only Africa Transparency International shows that corruption in Africa is mirrored across most of Eastern Europe and Asia.

BP feel the force of the US Gov't but Union Carbide get away scot free after murdering hundreds/thousands in India.

Roger

Union Carbide didn't do much more than required post Bhopal, IIRC, and not much was required by Indian law at the time. But in the end, it cost the company its existence -- Union Carbide no longer exists as an independent entity. It's a name within Dow Chemical.

I guess the bigger theme of this thread is our willingness as consumers to do business with companies that show poor corporate ethics and values. We all tend to have short memories for things that happen to other people, unfortunately. Now when it happens to us on the other hand, we have memories like elephants.

I guess the bigger theme of this thread is our willingness as consumers to do business with companies that show poor corporate ethics and values. We all tend to have short memories for things that happen to other people, unfortunately. Now when it happens to us on the other hand, we have memories like elephants.

Hi guys,

Whilst I fully appreciate the scale of corporate greed and inappropriate conduct is not limited to oil companies per se, I do find it frustrating to think that I should (as commonly recommended) be filling the 6 with Shell V+. Does anyone have an alternative decent fuel suggestion please?

Regards

Roger

Hi guys,

Whilst I fully appreciate the scale of corporate greed and inappropriate conduct is not limited to oil companies per se, I do find it frustrating to think that I should (as commonly recommended) be filling the 6 with Shell V+. Does anyone have an alternative decent fuel suggestion please?

Regards

Roger

Is there really any difference between major fuel brands in Britain? There isn't much over here in the US, at least for those classified as "top tier". HERE'S a recent consumer report. I'd guess that for a nearly fifty year old car the differences are even less important.

Hi Rog,

any of the 97RON fuels work well.

To get the best out of any fuel the engine needs to be tuned to accommodate it. Otherwise it is just another fuel.

The better fuels burn smoother and have a cleaning effect within the carb, so may feel as tho' it is working beter.

I use a lot of Sainsbury's but am happy with ESSO, BP, Texaco etc.

Roger

My car runs massively better on fresh fuel and Shell V seems to stay fresher longer.

Rgds Ian

PS Union Carbide may have done all that was required under Indian law but but their response was morally repugnant and after the way the US Government pulled out the big stick on BP, a US Company won't get away with anything like that in future.

off topic - ..and another US company attempting to ride rough shod over India - 'the real thing' company.

http://www.righttowater.info/rights-in-practice/legal-approach-case-studies/case-against-coca-cola-kerala-state-india/

Peter W