Halfords 20/50 Classic Oil

Reply today from Halfords, stating that "the attached Safety Data Sheet which holds all the information regarding the product". However it only gives the zinc content as <1%, so not much help.

I pointed out that the SDS didn't answer my question, their reply was that that was all they know!

Now to try Comma Oils.

Pete

I pointed out that the SDS didn't answer my question, their reply was that that was all they know!

Now to try Comma Oils.

Pete

Pete I think the Halfords Classic is produced by Comma, (comma 20/50 classic) same oil same price.

Paul

The Halfords stuff is made by Comma, who also make the same stuff for Wilkinsons (which always charges £15 and the tin is the nicest of the three!). Zinc content is 0.7pc (700ppm).

As an earlier post stated there was a thread a while back and it was mysteriously completely removed...does anyone know why? I didn't imagine there would be intrusive censorship on this forum but apparently I was wrong but I can't imagine what was said in the thread that could have caused its removal.

Morris Golden Film is 700ppm. Castrol Classic is approx 800ppm (recently uprated to API SF from SE). The Comma/Halfords/Wilkos stuff is API SE, as is Carlube Classic 20W/50. Duckhams Q had been API SF for years before its withdrawal.

Given that you can pay the same or only slightly more for higher spec oils with higher zinc content I don't know why anyone would use the Halfords stuff.

This debate always intrigues me. The engine components which need ZDDP are hard to get at when you have made a mess of them... the time and trouble/labour and parts charges to repair will be significant, so why skimp on your oil? Am I missing something?

Iain

Hi Folks,

back in the 50's & 60's what did TRiumph recommend for the engines and what was the ZDDP level then.

This discussion about ZDDP is very good but how relevant compared to what was the original standard.?

Roger

Hi Roger

I was thinking the same when I wrote the above....

Summer Grades were as follows from the Workshop manual Tr2/3

Shell X-100 30

Essolube 30

Duckhams NOL "Thirty"

Mobiloil A

Castrol XL

Energol SAE 30

So there's a research project for someone :D

Iain

Edited by iain

Well to balance every bodies views and "square the circle" why not use Classic Heritage 20w50 mineral oil which has ZDDP at 1300 ppm and only costs £15.50 plus VAT...

There the costs are the same as Halfords whilst the ZDDP are up where recommended plus it's not a synthetic and so unlikely to help your bores to glaze, and I don't have to research 5 different oils no longer available to find ZDDP content which may not be even mentioned. Can we now get on and moan about the International weekend costs...that's what we do.

Mick Richards

Hi Folks,

back in the 50's & 60's what did TRiumph recommend for the engines and what was the ZDDP level then.

This discussion about ZDDP is very good but how relevant compared to what was the original standard.?

That's a bit like going to the Doctors today with something serious, and he says yes we can treat that easily with today's drugs, but according to my 1960's medical reference its usually fatal and the only thing I can do is give you some pain killers.

Things advance and improve, and for those of you who believe that because something was the best in 1960 it still must be, will you please take the discussion off line and continue via post and the letter pages of TR Action :)

Alan

will you please take the discussion off line and continue via post and the letter pages of TR Action :)

...written with a quill pen I trust...lol.

Mick Richards

ZDDP goes back decades - its 1940s technology - and has not been bettered by modern antiscuff agents. Its demise is not because a better antiscuff has been discovered, it's because it kills catalytic convertors. Diesel oils still use ZDDP.

Peter

I looked at a datasheet from Valvoline VR1Racing 20W50, and it claimed a zink/phosphor content, but no ZDDP level?

It was only valid for USA/Canada.

Some otther suppliers list the Zn level in the data sheet but not the ZDDP level ( which then should be higher I guess).

Other fora discuss Zn-levels in oil, not ZDDP.

Confusing.

If it is so important, why is it not clearly indicated on rhe datasheet?

Waldi

I looked at a datasheet from Valvoline VR1Racing 20W50, and it claimed a zink/phosphor content, but no ZDDP level?

It was only valid for USA/Canada.

Some otther suppliers list the Zn level in the data sheet but not the ZDDP level ( which then should be higher I guess).

Other fora discuss Zn-levels in oil, not ZDDP.

Confusing.

If it is so important, why is it not clearly indicated on rhe datasheet?

Waldi

Because we suspect that firms aren't too happy that you find out that their oil is formulated with low ZDDP and therefore won't use it, or it at least reduces their sales because owners have to "self medicate" with ZDDP additive to get the protection required. Half of the firms won't have given any consideration to specially formulate to suit older cars, especially if costs them a cent more. They just like to jump on bandwagons and pick up the cash, so they don't make it easy to find out info.

Micky

Well to balance every bodies views and "square the circle" why not use Classic Heritage 20w50 mineral oil which has ZDDP at 1300 ppm and only costs £15.50 plus VAT...

There the costs are the same as Halfords whilst the ZDDP are up where recommended plus it's not a synthetic and so unlikely to help your bores to glaze, and I don't have to research 5 different oils no longer available to find ZDDP content which may not be even mentioned. Can we now get on and moan about the International weekend costs...that's what we do.

Mick Richards

Indeed Mick.... a very strong choice - not sure why it is seemly ignored by many

Mick Richards

Well done Mick, first I'd heard of that one and seems the ideal purchase, (after much ado).

End of.

Paul

I used t,use the stuff, well Commas, as it wer in me Local parts store

butt, along wid ..other oils, of a certain type

it dont hold onto its spec very welll

OP dropped 10-15 PSI after a few 1000 miles

and it wer,nt just me seen this, quite a few ont CT site said same thing

it just wer,nt thickening up as it should ev done

{no as bad as their Sonic thou, that was just dire, all the right points, but totally Useless. unless its fer yer grass moa }

And, I fun oot it went black v v fast,compared to the other stuff I started t,use

begins with a L, and it held OP very well indeed

Got to admit that the P FS R20 /50 or 60 is just spot on in my mind

same too for the gear oils, dont go blak an end up like thin pish after 1000miles of high temp work outs as does the C stuff did / does

M

Edited by GT6M