Better motorway cruising

My experience has always been that ear plugs make the whole long distance travelling experience much less tiresome.

Tim

I agree with earplugs for roof up driving, dont need them for roof down.

Steve

Once read an interesting article by Alan de Cadenet. He is now pretty much deaf and was interested to find out how it had happened. So with some acoustics experts he looked at noise levels in the various cars he raced along side some of his open top sports cars. Interestingly the levels of white noise he found in open top sports cars were pretty high (above 100dB). His conclusion was that given that he used to spend a lot of time thrashing across country in these cars compared to the short stints in racing cars that certainly the sports cars were a contributor to his deafness. His parting comment was a suggestion that you should wear ear plugs..

And since then I have where practical.. And it has a number of benefits

1) you do feel a lot less fatigued on long runs

2) you spend less time worrying about that strange noise and more time enjoying the ca

3) you have a pseudo-medical reason for ignoring your passenger

generally I only wear them on motorways where the white noise is the worst (interestingly you don't conciously notice it as much as a booming exhaust note but it is no less damaging). I usually use the "bud" type foam plugs but in occasions have worn ear defenders.. Strangely I get lot of "thumbs up" signs when I wear my orange ear defenders. I don't generally wear them for blatts on A and B roads as the White noise is less and I light to hear the exhaust notes.

Just my thoughts..

Cheers

Tim

+1 for ear plugs on long journeys. As the volume of everything is reduced, you can still hear perfectly what's going on around you. And on a motorway, just crank the radio up to 11. Those toadstool/bluebell-shaped ones are comfortable - and have the best attenuation.

Cheers, Richard

28% O/D fitted to mine, much more relaxed cruising on M/way, also ALWAYS wear plugs for long motorway blasts. MUCH more relaxing, it also means you enjoy the exhaust note more when you take them out on the slower roads. Spent too long riding m/cycles without earplugs when younger to risk any further hearing loss now.

Simon

The evidence suggests even relatively short exposure to high noise levels is more likely to induce hearing loss than moderate levels of exposure over longer duration. The dB is a logarithmic scale so few more dB is significantly more in terms of the energy acting on your ears.

100dB is pretty high and would be flagged up as way over acceptable exposure levels in the workplace.

Steve

To me it means sports cars in general terms by their very nature make noise, that's what they are supposed to do by design.

The exhaust note of current high performance cars are designed to give that very special sound & invest huge amounts of cash in achieving that signature.

TR6's are no exception the soundtrack/ music of the exhaust is part of their magic or am I missing something?

If anyone converted a TR6 to full electric power it just would not be anywhere the same?

How many miles does the average TR6 driver do in a year, in particular long motorway blasts?

If the nanny state said anyone driving a noisy convertible must wear ear plugs to protect their hearing you would be up in arms!

Many members have been driving TR's for decades & yet to met a deaf one.

Cheers

Mike

Sorry can't hear you Peter :lol::lol::lol:

Please shout louder :ph34r:

Cheers

Mike B)

.MIke...what you saying ?

Agree with you - the exhaust note is pure music.....heel and toeing....

I doubt exhaust or wind has much to do with my hearing loss. I drove the TR daily for ten years and didnt suffer worsening hearing back then. Never had tinnitus after driving the TR. More likely mine is inherited. And also age-related, which is very common.

We should be recording TR exhaust songs for play back in the self-driving 'leccy cars of the future.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Ear plugs? Maybe its our nose we should plug:

https://theconversation.com/how-we-discovered-a-possible-link-between-car-exhausts-and-alzheimers-64779

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Yes. Rather concerning.

Tim

Different people will be more or less susceptible to hearing loss from a given level of noise. But you don't know until one day your realise something's wrong - look at George Martin! I'm not going to risk it on long motorway journeys so I use earplugs. The plugs don't cut out the sound, they reduce the volume - of everything - equally (not quite true but more or less). I can still hear the engine etc. - the "sound track". I use the same earplugs when going to live music events. Yes, I've listened to Pink Floyd, Genesis, Jethro Tull and many others through earplugs - and still enjoyed the show! My hearing is "suppressed" for a period of time afterwards if I forget them. What you all do with your hearing is your business. Maybe I'm just being over cautious with mine. (It used to be my job years ago)

Here endeth the my final lecture on this topic.

Cheers, Richard

Yes. Rather concerning.

Tim

Tim, I recall a seminar 25 years ago reporting brain plaque injury spreading in from the olfactory bulb and blamed upon an unknown virus. But nanomagnetite could well fit the bill. Indeed there is a corellation with Az:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18334756

And the oxygen radicals provide the injury mechanism.

The problem the researchers will now have is finding a control population free from pollutant magnetite particles. Finding positive controls with high levels will be easier.

One of the authors avoids kerb-side walking:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2104655-top-tips-to-avoid-getting-metal-pollution-in-your-brain?cmpid=ILC|NSNS|2016-GLOBAL-inlinelink&utm_medium=ILC&utm_source=NSNS&utm_campaign=inlinelink

http://europe.newsweek.com/potentially-toxic-magnetic-nanoparticle-pollution-human-brains-495950?rm=eu

".......the effect of particulate pollution on the brains of Mexico City residents. Her research has shown that some residents of the city exposed to high levels of particulates present in the air can have Alzheimer-like changes in the brain, as young as the teenage years."

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold