Better motorway cruising

I had two evnts where ear plugs might not have been a good idea. A front wheel bearing started to whine on a motorway trip, and then screeched as I slowed down. Also a 'flapping' sound from the rear indicated a tyre gradually deflating: gave me time to move though traffic from fast lane to hard shoulder.

Peter

Hi Bakes,

According to Uncle Bentley, a factory P.I. setup with A-type O/D gives 2702 rpm @ 70 MPH. Since the 195/65 tyres are smaller in diameter than the 165-15 originals you're probably doing 2800 rpm @ 70. ( This is what I have on my '250 in fact, 3.45:1 diff and all ).

I use earplugs on long journeys too, over 100 miles without stops. They don't eliminate all sound, just reduce the volume.

Now for something new ( to most of you, I reckon ): Keep your ears warm. They don't like the cold, and years of exposure will do them in as well as high noise levels. I wear a headband when going round topless under 60 degrees.

Cheers,

Tom

Just come back from flying in a two seater Spitfire and surprisingly enough the noise from the Merlin inside the cockpit was a tad quieter then the sound track we hear at flying days. Mind you after the acrobatics I have been compressed to three foot!.

Regards Harry.

Peter,

Saw a load of projects a few years back regarding such particles and Az. Not sure what the outcome was but I bet the researchers have reopened their projects.

Tim

Peter,

Know what you are saying about the trade off between saving hearing using ear plugs and being able to hear if things are amiss with the car. Have always said that you need all senses working well when riding in a car. Even smell is important... The sweet odour of brakes have saved me on a number of occasions. But I guess the challenge is that if I don't protect me hearing now I won't be able to hear the issues in the future when my hearing has degraded. I actually think that the overall reduction in volume caused by ear plugs allows me to concentrate better on long runs with the top down so perhaps that is a balancing benefit?

Tim

Peter,

Saw a load of projects a few years back regarding such particles and Az. Not sure what the outcome was but I bet the researchers have reopened their projects.

Tim

Tim, I'd seen stuff on 'soot' particle and attempts to link their induction of inflammation to Az. So iron particles were a suprise to me. Production of reactive oxygen species presents a more plausible pathogenic mechanism. Should be possible to image ROS in brain slices and work on from there. Yes, doubtless a big 'push' on nanomagnetite coming.

I wonder what brains look like from dwellers near roads in countries that use ferrocene as an octane booster in pump fuel??

Peter

Andy,

That would be kinda interesting.

unfortunately mine is in for a respray.

Tim

Peter,

Yes lots to talk about but probably a tad off the topic of this thread.

Cheers Tim