Grease gun recommendations?

Hi all,

I've been thinking for a while I should visit all the grease points on my TR4a, as having had for it 18 months, I don't know the last time it was done.

I'll have to purchase a grease gun and grease, is there a preferred style or a particular one that's favoured?

I'm presuming something with a flexible tube?

Thanks in advance.

I have three. One with LM grease, one with CV joint grease (trunnions for the use of) and one with water pump grease. The LM one has a flex tube for UJs.

Edited by peejay4A

Definitely time to grease the beast - old cars need at least annual attention.

Castrol LM will suffice for ALL grease points - see the Castrol lubrication chart, which is available in laminated form from the TR Register' online Shop (and probably at the IWE as well - worth ringing the Office to make sure).

A flexible tube may be desirable but is not strictly necessary - I've been greasing TRs for some 54 years with a rigid tube (and an Austin 7 Special before then).

Ian Cornish

Hi Steve,

visit ebay and get a Wanner (£20-30). I find the rigid tube better; easier to push on.

Don't consider anything else as you will end up with a Wanner anyway.

Castol LM is a popular grease but can be a bit thick/sticky for some areas

I am using 'AeroShell 7' - off ebay. This is slightly less sticky and tolerates the cold very well and is good at normal high temps.

Windscreen wiper cable would benefit with Aeroshell 7.

Roger

As an example, I have 2 non-wanners and so far as i can tell, they have never injected grease into any nipple, they just find the point of lowest resistance and squirt over your clothing - which can be annoying when your grease is a radioactive blue colour !

Neither would get a gold badge from me, or is it silver, or, platanium

Steve

Don´t know about U.K. grease guns but I use Molydisulphide grease in all grease points, and have been using this since my days of a very early Morris Mini Minor and my Austin Seven Ruby Saloon my first car, turned into a fibreglass special.

Dave

I have used a Molybdenum Disulphide grease for years as opposed to LM. The MS2 provides a surface film which resists high contact pressures.

In my days as a civil engineer launching bridge structures with metal on metal contact surfaces supporting hundreds of tons we used a grease with a very high MS2 content (but very expensive) because experience had shown it to be the most effective.

Rgds Ian

Edited by Ian Vincent

Ive had a wanner for the past 30+years and its as good ad the day i bought it

Never had a problem with it...first class piece if kit!

Tony

Thanks chaps, looks like a Wanner is the way to go.

I only do a couple of thousand miles a year and I don't drive too quickly (i have other cars for that). So it would seem LM grease would suffice. I have the lubrication chart so that will ensure I get around everything and not miss anything out.

Thanks again,

Steve.

I too have a Wanner and used it today after not being used for some time. Bled it and worked perfectly.

I have another classic accessory in the form of an old 1970's Castrol LM grease tin fortunately with the hole in the middle and in excellent condition, which I refill from the modern plastic version.

I note at autojumbles now, the prices of classic tin oil cans in various capacities and grease pots are rushing sharply.

That's handy to know. Need to watch nobody puts in back the the CD player again though.

Mind you the Grease album is not bad music, Summer Nights and all that!

Very funny :P