resilvering rear lamp housings

the plastic housings on the rear lamps are shot and dull.

This affects the luminosity of the side and brake lamps, I bought some chrome spray paint, but it didn't do what it said on the tin.

I read today that if a small piece of alloy wire is connected across the housing?

then put the unit in some sort of vacuum tank, and connect the 2 ends of the wire to your arc welder, a dead short will then occur

and the wire will be immediately atomised and blown to buggery and will favourably then coat the inner housing, making it bright again.

has anyone any further details of this Heath Robinson experiment?

Hmmm... there are some essential elements missing from the industrial process, but sounds exciting! You'll either be able to come back to us and say how it worked or we will hear from the evening news.

Meanwhile you could always press a piece of foil into the housings as a temporary [to permanent] fix. I found the ones on Mr Kipling tarts to be just about the right size and rigidity. They lasted several years till I replaced the housings.

MIke

I'm with Roger. I've had good results in the past by glueing aluminium foil to the reflector and polishing it flat before the glue dries. A final going over with metal polish gave surprisingly good results.

Andrew W

Pete, You could try these beads sprinkled onto white paint when sticky

http://www.phosphorescentpaint.co.uk/retroreflective-paint-/485-reflective-glass-microbeads.html

I used a lab-grade reflective white paint years ago, and its fine.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

I had heard of the foil adornment which I thought would be a 60 ish % improvment.

But the glass beads really interest me, after all the yorkshire tyke made squillions when he put them in the middle of the road, thanks Peter.

Christ I hope that comment doesnt attract the "I love yorkshire" bin man currently doing penance in the sarf somewhere.

Edited by pfenlon

You experiment sounds possible...many optical films are made this way (vacuum evaporation).

But why not consider white instead of silver...Titanium Dioxide (the white in almost everything including emulsion paint) has excellent reflectivity....not as good as Silver....but better than crumpled foil or exploded welding rod i bet...So, just paint it with white paint...ideally gloss....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_coating

To get a passable chrome effect you need to use black first. Perhaps this is why chrome back light is usually black plastic.

Flat the chrome area required to be coated.

Stick the item to be coated in the dish washer to get it clean.

Coat with black.

leave to dry

Coat with silver/chrome effect/

You will get a better result although in my view not as good as chrome.

Check out Utube as there are some videos on chrome spray painting.

Pete

I have a roll of silver foil with an adhesive backing with a paper backing , ideal for cutting to shape prior to sticking in position.

If you are interested in this stuff pm your address and I'll send you some.

Mark

Edited by Mark69

Hi Peter,

which lamp housing are we talking about.?

Roger

De Tomaso Roger, they were fitted to Alfa Romeo cars of the same era in the 1970's, but If new ones were available, I doubt that I could afford them.

I put copper grease on some battery terminals on a mini a while ago. When next I looked there was a lovely thin plating of copper over the battery well. Not sure what happened, but it has some interesting possibilities. Maybe a battery, some chromium grease (?), and your light fittings connected to earth?

Sounds good!

Pete

I have a roll of silver foil with an adhesive backing with a paper backing , ideal for cutting to shape prior to sticking in position.

If you are interested in this stuff pm your address and I'll send you some.

Markattachicon.gif20151003_094041.jpg

The foil arrived today, thank you very much for your efforts Mark.

It looks pretty good stuff too

thanks and best regards Pete

Glad to assist, hope it does the trick.

Best

Mark

It will. It's the same stuff I used. bought from B&Q i think - it's the tape used to stick foil insulation together. Once stuck it doesn't come off very easily.

I've used it to 're-chrome the side indicator surrounds on my '6' as nowadays they're all supplied in plain orange.

Mike

I'll have a chat with my plating guy.

Printed circuit-board manufacturers have an "electoless-copper" process for putting a copper layer down drilled holes to make through contacts. This is some kind of cream that is pushed down the holes with a squeegee rubber.

The layer is thin and gets built up by electro-deposition. Chrome on copper is the usual way.

But much of the "sparkle" with chromed parts comes from the polishing of the surface. If you have a rough surface they look more like aluminium of paint might do.

The "oval ring" round the lights is a fibre-glass moulding with chrome paint:

14800527745_1d62fbb37c_b.jpg

Edited by AlanT