Roger I might be wrong ( and according to liz I'm always wrong) but think Eddie is referring to "mole Grips" not soft jaws if this is the case then Eddie yes I know your pain having Cr@p tools is sometimes worse than not having them at all, as you start a job thinking you have the tools only to get to the point of no return and then your tools fail( and as a gentleman of a certain age I know how that feels!) anyway if my understanding is correct the

n personally I would recommend "Mole Grips and 'Vice Grips" I have both and they have both served me well.

Vice grips are one of the best tools made for rounding off fasteners, and conveniently the cheap ones do it as well as the nice ones (like originals from DeWitt in Nebraska). I have a pair of my father's from the early 1940s and they'll strip a bolt head as well as any modern pair.

As an added bonus, they'll mar the surface of anything you work on as well or better than any traditional clamp, too.

Don would have to agree with you on this one ! very much a tool of last resort if using them on a nut/bolt of any sort

Genuine 'Mole' grips are fine when used appropriately (i.e not as a way of avoiding finding the correct size spanner). It's also important to use the right size and the relevant jaw shape (curved or straight). Most cheap 'mole' grip copies are nowhere near as good as the real thing although I seem to have a lot of them as they are useful for emergency bodge jobs but not for serious work. As with all tools, it pays to buy the best, but easy to pick up cheap 'bargains' when you see them.

I have about 30 pairs that I use to hold panels together for fabrication etc and I always buy the proper "Vise Grip" US made ones. They are more expensive but they grip properly and if you buy the correct shape for the job they are by far the best. I have every shape through "C" shape to flat and curved jaws and narrow crocodile types.

Stuart.

Only one of mine has a maker's name on it, but the "Michael Mouse' ones are still working as well as the name brand one. (and I'm not Irish.)

Ended up with a collection to hold panels together for welding. Modified one to act as a heat sink.

IMG_2182.jpg

Edited by littlejim

If it's marked "Newport, Mon."[mouthshire] it's a good'un.

"Newport - The Home of the Mole Wrench": http://www.delcampe.net/page/item/id,105483651,var,GB-1968-SHIP-THROUGH-NEWPORT-HOME-OF-THE-MOLE-WRENCH-SLOGAN-POSTMARK-f,language,E.html

John

I have about 30 pairs that I use to hold panels together for fabrication etc and I always buy the proper "Vise Grip" US made ones. They are more expensive but they grip properly and if you buy the correct shape for the job they are by far the best. I have every shape through "C" shape to flat and curved jaws and narrow crocodile types.

Stuart.

Stuart, Vise Grips, like so many other tools over here, have been a victim of offshoring, I believe. The orignals -- especially the ones marked Petersen Mfg. Co., DeWitt Nebraska, USA are considered the best over here, too. That may be faint praise to be the best Vise Grip, IMO, but I gotta admit it's tool that has its place. There are probably a dozen or two around here. These DeWitt, Nebr, USA ones are easily found in garage sales, eBay, and sometimes store dead stock.

Original Petersen DeWitt Vise Grips

i-V8jqmxr-X2.jpg

WW2-era Petersen Vise Grips, before the release lever was added to the design.

i-MF4H38L-X2.jpg

i-ccvSwr4-X2.jpg

Edited by Don H.

" How did they get moles out of the ground before wrench's were invented :blink: "

A threepenny cannon, stuff down the hole, light blue touch paper and put a brick over the hole sharpish.

Scan immediate area for low flying mole involuntarily attempting to attain orbiting altitude . . . .

Cheers

Alec

Stuart, Vise Grips, like so many other tools over here, have been a victim of offshoring, I believe. The orignals -- especially the ones marked Petersen Mfg. Co., DeWitt Nebraska, USA are considered the best over here, too. That may be faint praise to be the best Vise Grip, IMO, but I gotta admit it's tool that has its place. There are probably a dozen or two around here. These DeWitt, Nebr, USA ones are easily found in garage sales, eBay, and sometimes store dead stock.

Original Petersen DeWitt Vise Grips

i-V8jqmxr-X2.jpg

WW2-era Petersen Vise Grips, before the release lever was added to the design.

i-MF4H38L-X2.jpg

i-ccvSwr4-X2.jpg

Thats mostly the type that I have as I bought them about 25 to 30 odd years ago and for what I do with panel work they are an essential tool for the job. I very rarely use them for anything else!

Stuart.

My favourite was an ELMO (yes, really) 'self-grip wrench, Birmingham, England', with no release lever and straight jaws. I think it was second-hand when I got it about 40 years ago, and only replaced when the jaws lost their edge. I kept it for sentimental reasons, and in memory of all those times when it was the 'tool of last resort' that got me out of trouble! It was replaced with a pair of 'Vise grips' with curved jaws, which I don't like as much.

My choice of supplier for quality tools, sockets, spanners etc is the second-hand tool stall on my local market... "they don't make 'em like that anymore" !

Graham

Hi Have an older version of these http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pincers/0549331/

REally good for parallel holding - sheet etc. and the cutters work well on heavy stuff

Roger

Bernard pliers. I have my grandfather's pair in my toolbox, a connection to a guy I never got to meet.

http://www.sargenttools.com/About/Our-History/

Hi Have an older version of these http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pincers/0549331/

REally good for parallel holding - sheet etc. and the cutters work well on heavy stuff

Roger

Hey - I also have a pair of those (not RS but again - a fair bit older) very hard metal so great cutters even for SS & piano wire.

Bob.