.... appear to be very good vfm

are they exactly the same as MWS ?

thanks

I am assuming that MWS do not have old ladies in the back street of coventry lashing wheels together, instead they buy dunlop via india ?

"Nothing negative about them."

Except that they're wire wheels, and should have been consigned to the dustbin of history long ago, simply because they don't do a proper job.

Yes OK, they look nice and traditional. They just don't work very well. Skip fodder.

Fine if you like them, just don't corner too hard, and stick to painted or stainless and abjure chrome . . . . .

Cheers

Alec

One could probably say our TRs should have been consigned to history's dustbin too, Alec. And IMHO, the original steel disk wheels don't work that well either for that matter.

I like having painted wire wheels on my car. Something I debated hard about during the restoration (my TR3B was built with disk wheels), but ultimately a decision I'm quite satisfied with. They lead an easy life.

Kids make comments all the time about them -- always positive. There are apparently multiple generations that have never seen wire-spoked wheels on a car. Doin' our little part to keep the flame alive...

Well if wires were up to the task in this tussle then I figure they are good enough for my driving!

Cheers

Dan

FullSizeRender-6_zpsqlzf7tkx.jpg

P.S. Sorry to divert the thread - I just like this photo from Reydellet's book

Edited by 2long

I'm now on my 2nd set of wires and they are not perfect and have a life. My 1st set lasted about 30k, before 1 or 2 of them started to go out of true. It was cheaper and easier to buy a new set, rather than trying to get them trued up again. The other thing I learnt, was to double check the new wheels for trueness before fitting as they do vary quite a lot. You need to get the supplier to do this while you watch which is not easy, but necessary if you want to be sure before you buy. On the 5, that I'm re-building, I'm re-using the original steel wheels. I've had them straightened - 3 have turned out well, the 4th a good improvement, the 5th is for the skip. The main thing I learnt, was that the wheels become buckled over a period of time between the centre part and the rim and it's almost impossible to rectify if the buckling has become too pronounced. The only other alternative is to go with the alloys, but the choice of style is limited to the mini lights type which don't excite me that much.

best Bill

these steely things that you are referring to seem to be made of that unobtanium in 4.5" widths - sounds like they would be expensive

In Madras

in the street of a Thousand Spokers.....

http://www.wheelsindia.com/

I'm in Madras at this very moment, there's a chap outside cutting up 8x4ft sheets of inch thick steel, he's not wearing goggles and he has the very latest in safety flip flops, I know we complain about health and safety gone mad, here it's gone missing. I wonder if he's building a rocket for their space program?

Steve

Alec is probably right about wire wheels being somewhat ancient technology and not being as good as some other alternatives.

Having said that, I tend towards "entertaining" driving and use wires without any dramas. My recommendations would be to get the 72-spoke version (painted) and keep to nice skinny tyres (165/80) - even then these are significantly more grippy than those available in period. I also tend to swap tyres at least once a year and get to check the state of the wheels at the same time - I would certainly recommend testing them annually for sound spokes and trueness.

Everything about our cars is massively outdated, but that's partly why we love them.

"...Everything about our cars is massively outdated....."

Particularly the nut that holds the steering wheel !

Edited by McMuttley

I am assuming that MWS do not have old ladies in the back street of coventry lashing wheels together, instead they buy dunlop via india ?

I wanted to keep the wire wheels on our 2 because they were modified and mentioned in the road test of the car by John Bolster. So I took them up to the original MWS works ( not in Slough) and it was fascinating. Would make a great article for TRAction. They did a great job and strangely enough I've just had the first flat. Would you believe caused by a sticky label on the inner tube eating it's way into the rubber. After so many years you can't complain. JJC