Engine Overheating

Hi All,

I have noticed that over the past month the temp gauge has steadily been getting warmer, it now sits between one mark before the end of scale and way off in the red. I have a brand new radiator, new water pump, completely restored engine, new Revotec fan (which I mounted the grill side of the radiator - flipping the polarity as the original fan mount was in the way and I was using that to get the spanner on to tweak the engine timing at the time). I've filled it with Evans waterless coolant and although I know the fan may not be as efficient mounted the wrong side of the radiator it does seems to be pushing a lot of air through. Having read a lot of threads on overheating the fan shouldn't make as much difference as i'm noticing.. even on cool days i'm way into the red. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to try?

Many thanks,
Chris

Duff thermostat. Test it in a pan of water with a thermometer.

If you try two or three at once you will probably see quite a difference.

Many are slow to open or just don't open enough.

Jerry

Yeah Dump the Evans!

Water and Antfreeze all year round is the way....My TR runs so cool I have to blank part the Rad off !

At first I thought it must be the Gauge or Sender, changed em both...made no differance, even in this summer tempreture, it has the original constant plastic fan too!

Yep

Dump the Evans coolant.

+1

Chris,

The waterless stuff hinders heat transfer form the cylinders to the water jacket, and from the water to the air in radiator.

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/44837-waterless-coolant/

Hotter combustion chambers are not necessarily a bad thing for a lightly loaded engine - a bit better feul economy. But I'd worry about whats happening during hard and fast running. Not for me.

The coolant wont boil easily so you dont need to worry about that, it will run well into the red on the gauge, and maybe beyond - without boiling.Nor will it blow hoses off.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Check that the sensor and gauge are functioning correctly.

One way is to buy some temperature tabs, sticky labels that change colour to show the highest temp reached

For example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cylinder-head-Engine-block-heat-tab-temperature-stickers-x10-/261510190021?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3ce338d3c5#ht_1285wt_721

A remote infrared thermometer is usfeul - take the temp of any part while the engine runs!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=infra+red&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1311.R1.TR11.TRC1.A0.H1&_nkw=infrared+thermometer&_sacat=0

Or else to take out the sensor, run it on a long lead to a work bench and pop it ina a pan of water over a camping stove. Observe the gauge reading as you heat the water. This will show you what the sensor/guage rig reads at 100C. Although the engine will run at more that that as it's under pressure you can see the way the curve is going.

You have a rebuilt engine etc. I'll bet the sensor is new too, and new sensors, like so many pattern parts, are badly made. Try an old sensor, they can last forever!

John

Hi Chris,

as stated above the Evans, although boil proof, will actually increase your engine temp.

Have you got the correct sensor - I believe they are colour coded.

You could pop a summer thermostat in the engine (76' for summer and 84 for winter).

If you use an infra red sensor to measure your engine temp paint the sensing area with matt black paint. Colour variation will effect the temp reading.

The pusher fan is not the problem - it will work.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Had this with a new sensor, went back to the old one and gauge now working correctly..which came with the engine which hadn't been run for 10 yrs ++.

Edited by RobinTR6

It could be that the voltage stabilizer is bad. It should put 10 volts on the gauge. it will also make the fuel gauge read high also. It is mounted on the back of the speedometer on the TR6. Must have a good ground to the mounting tab.

Dean T.

Most DC motors will happily run in the opposite direction with a polarity change, but is the blade aerofoil able to move air when reversed?

Some of the fans I have lying around have assymetric blades and move very little air when reversed.

Mike.

Only permanent magnet motors or some electronically commutated motors will run backwards on a polarity change. Wound field motors like wiper and heater fan motors will run in the same direction regardless of supply polarity.

Edited by peejay4A

Work from the basic premise that the cooling system on the TR6 is more than ample when in good nick as our fellow drivers in the USA and Australia will no doubt confirm.

If it is overheating then something is likely to be wrong with the cooling system (assuming the gauge and sensor is ok).

Waterless coolant isn't going to adversely affect heat transfer in UK temperatures enough to render a healthy cooling system so much less efficient as to run hot in the UK.

Then you have to work out if your engine is producing too much heat - lean mix, retarded, head gasket failure or cracked head/block or whether if is a lack of cooling capacity - silted up rad, water pump failure, leaks or electric fan problem (the fan is irrelevant once you are moving at more than a few mph) so if it overheats on a run you probably have to look beyond your fan.

Check that the sensor and gauge are functioning correctly.

One way is to buy some temperature tabs, sticky labels that change colour to show the highest temp reached

For example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cylinder-head-Engine-block-heat-tab-temperature-stickers-x10-/261510190021?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3ce338d3c5#ht_1285wt_721

A remote infrared thermometer is usfeul - take the temp of any part while the engine runs!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=infra+red&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1311.R1.TR11.TRC1.A0.H1&_nkw=infra

red+thermometer&_sacat=0

Or else to take out the sensor, run it on a long lead to a work bench and pop it ina a pan of water over a camping stove. Observe the gauge reading as you heat the water. This will show you what the sensor/guage rig reads at 100C. Although the engine will run at more that that as it's under pressure you can see the way the curve is going.

You have a rebuilt engine etc. I'll bet the sensor is new too, and new sensors, like so many pattern parts, are badly made. Try an old sensor, they can last forever!

John

Hi john good link about the temp sensor for a tenner however looks like they are fronts for gear from china and never arrived been there done that

anyone bought one of these that got delivered and worked

Cheers

David

David,

Maybe from China originally, but the address is Farnham and the seller has 2250 sales and a red star for good conduct.

Quality GoK, but delivery assured, I wouwld think.

These are from America (but probably Made in Chinam and beware inport duty to UK)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Factory-Effex-Engine-Temp-Temperature-Stickers-3-Pack-/231112477675

Or same thing as first, from UK, single stickers at same price:

http://www.ldsengineering.co.uk/Cylinder_head_engine_block_temperature_sticker_17mm/p340129_3771498.aspx

OR, in ?Netherlands? EU anaywya, so no import duty:

http://www.tqc.eu/en/products/article/temperature-indication-stickers

OR, if you want the widest range of products and temperatures, THE company, and in the UK:

http://temperature-indicators.co.uk/acatalog/industrial_adhesive_indicator_strips_and_labels.html

JOhn

Excellent john

Thanks for the help

Any of the hand held units recommended

Some said didn't work we're **** etc

I know what do you get for a tenner these days but would rather pay more and get it to work

David

Edited by dblenk

OK so I took the front cowling off and found the remains of the old overflow bottle bracket... sans bottle. It's probably lying by the side of the road out in the dales somewhere! The coolant was overflowing through the pipe at the top of the rad and onto the road.. I put a new bottle in, topped up the coolant ( put a summer thermostat in - thanks Roger) and now it's sitting about halfway, it's scorching hot today and i've been out for a couple of hours without it creeping over so hopefully that should be that.. I am a little concerned about my choice of coolant after reading all of your comments though. Maybe I should switch..

Many thanks for the advice!

Chris

I am a little concerned about my choice of coolant after reading all of your comments though. Maybe I should switch..

Many thanks for the advice!

Chris

Chris, I would not worry - now you've found the cure. Waterless wont shift heat anywhere near as fast as water, but ordinary road driving makes very liitle heat compared with a TR6 at sustained max power. And your cooling system with the new thermosat can cope with the poor heat transfer, as the gauge shows.

Peter