Vredestein seem to be quite popular, so I tried a set on my tr6, really like them.

Modest price, excellent wet and dry grip.

Steve

Yokohama C drive, very good all round tyre and good price..24psi front 26psi rears.

Stuart.

Second for the Avons, £200 for four and fitted ;)

I had vrederstiens on the car when I first bought it they were good, but also were over 20years old :unsure:

Second for the Avons, £200 for four and fitted ;)

I had vrederstiens on the car when I first bought it they were good, but also were over 20years old :unsure:

Which Avons are you using please?

ta

bob

Were all the above HR rated?

And why do we need tyres rated above 113mph anyway!...What idiot would drive above that speed on the public highway anyway, even if in the unlikely event that a 40 year old car could 'now' even reach the manufacturers claimed top speed !

My Michelin XZX's are far superior to and have far more grip than the original Dunlop SP Sport...in fact they produce far more grip than the chassis was designed to handle!

Edited by Denis

Avons for me, just fitted and much better than the Firestones that I had previously.

Given the variety of responses there are a lot of good tyres out there!

Peter

The tyres need to be matched with the car/suspension etc.

A good tyre on one car may be iffy on another.

On my 4A the Firestone F560 worked really well, far better than the Conti contax I used when the F560 stopped being made.

I'm now on Toyo 330 and they are similar to the F560.

Vredstein have a couple of choices - not sure which is the superior tyre.

Roger

The tyres need to be matched with the car/suspension etc.

A good tyre on one car may be iffy on another.

Roger

A good point, but this presumably entails trial and error, accommodation for personal prejudices and foibles, allowance for all the variations from stock, etc... I can already smell an excel spreadsheet emerging somewhere...

But is there any means other than asking around and stabbing in the (relative) dark to arrive at an educated and informed decision? When I replaced the summer tyres on the Audi last year, I was able to access comparison tests for a decent range of appropriately-sized tyres and make a decision that I'm satisfied with (I chose Yokohamas, by the way, which tramline a little on our crapulous urban macadam but have stonking grip in wet and dry), but this is not an option for TRs.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Paul

I've been well pleased with 196 65 15 Yokohama C Drives on my TR5 in both wet and dry.

Dave McD

Snap! Good tyres. ;)

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a set of Blockley 185 VR 15" on mine, these are superb. I replaced Avon's on the front and Dunlop's on the rear - these were pre-DOT marked, so at least 20+ years old!

The drive on Blockley's is much more responsive, they grip extremely well (although I avoid the rain!, so can't vouch for wet weather handling)

They also look pretty good, with a high profile, so they fill out the arches nicely.

Andy

post-11209-0-23775200-1401460030_thumb.jpg

Edited by AndyN