Just wondered what type of jack people carried in their TR's. I don't fancy the original side jack and bottle jacks are a bit tall. So is the scissor jack the answer or maybe a racing trolley?

Alan.

The correct sissor jack will go under a TR with a flat tyre.

saddle is useless, weld up a frame that engages the chassis,

Cut the eye off, and weld up a nut so you can use with a ratchet and extension, and chuck away the crappy

handles they come with.

Pictures if you want.

John.

The correct sissor jack will go under a TR with a flat tyre.

saddle is useless, weld up a frame that engages the chassis,

Cut the eye off, and weld up a nut so you can use with a ratchet and extension, and chuck away the crappy

handles they come with.

Pictures if you want.

John.

I forgot the lowered suspension on mine. Ground clearance 4 1/4 inch, less with a flat.

Peter

Ali "racing" trolley jack that has low clearance. Simple, fast, not too heavy. Plus, you can use it to do just about anything.

A bit bigger than others, but not enough (in my opinion) to outweigh the huge advantages.

Edited by TorontoTim

This thread got me thinking - will my hyraulic bottle jack actually be any use if I have a flat tyre ?

Well having checked ground clearances, & deducted 4" for a flat tyre - the answer is NO !

I recon I needed a jack wich would go down to 4" (rear is worse than front)

This is assuming that you use not the chassis to jack onto, but the bottom of the suspension - which is not as low as the chassis will be.

So, Have just ordered from ebay a new 1 ton scissor jack which goes down to 85mm (3.4") That should do the trick. :o)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390736033622?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2035wt_2209

Bob.

What vehicle did that come from originally, Menno?

From a local motorfactors' store.

Originally, it's this one, but I've altered the top end:

101136_1310568419_0613002.jpg

I will dig up some more pics. As you can see on the pic of my previous posting, there's now a hole in the center of the jack. I made an U-shaped part (can't remember how it's called in English...) with a pin under the horizontal part of the U and rubber inlay. The pin fits the hole. The U shaped part fits around the chassis leg under the door! So from the bottom up:

1. scissor jack on the ground
  2. U shaped device on top of the jack, pin located inside the center hole
  3. Whole contraption offered up under the chassis rail
  4. Lift the jack with the U shape

Menno

EDIT: forgot to mention: my car's jack fits under the chassis rail with a flat tyre; I used the TR's original steel wheels with the old tyres for a test. As you see, the jack is extremely low when folded.

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij 2

Menno

Doesn´t the scissor jack go into the spare wheel well, next to the tyre or even in the upturned wheel? that way the boot is not compromised, after all you have to go into the wheel well to get the spare out anyway.

I have never needed to use the original jack and spanner, so I don´t know it´s shortfall (if any), I keep it in a wooden round ring 33 mm thick, routed out to their shapes and fitted inside the spare wheel rim. That way I keep my safety triangles in there along with the spare fan belt, hoses and if on a long run like Switzerland a spare inner tube.

Dave

I have a Menno-like scissors, from an old SIMCA 1000. I'm not really enthusiast as it tends to kink under load.

I plan to find a Freelander scissor jack which comes in a specific pouch. Very nice. If it can raise 1.7 ton, it will do for the TR4.

Matter of fact, any Land Rover SJ will do.

Badfrog

I have a Menno-like scissors, from an old SIMCA 1000. I'm not really enthusiast as it tends to kink under load.

I plan to find a Freelander scissor jack which comes in a specific pouch. Very nice. If it can raise 1.7 ton, it will do for the TR4.

Matter of fact, any Land Rover SJ will do.

Badfrog

But will it go under your car when the tyre is flat?

The orig dark green scissor jack for TR4A-6 is a tiddly item that went very low and works OK. I have both the orig pillar jack for the TR3 and the later IRS scissor jack in the spare wheel compartment of the TR3. Along with enough 'stuff' I have now forgotten what it was for....

When I have used the orig pillar jack I have found it to be quite adequate for the task in hand. The only reservation is that the car needs to be chocked to stop it rolling when being raised. I carry two metal chocks from a Datsun Violet, which are just bent metal so nest with each other, taking little space.

Those were the days when you just 'popped' to the breakers and collected the things you fancied.

Peter W

PS Wrap it all up in a big rag with a pair of disposable rubber gloves. You will need them all if changing a tyre and it stops it rattling.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

On this, can some one remind me of the jacking points for a 3A, Tony Schreach showed me at IWE and Ive since forgotten.

Thanks

The original jacking points for a 2 - 3A are round holes in the floor in front of the seats.

Remove rubber (or steel for early cars) blanking disc's, & locate the jack on the chassis through the hole.

If you have the original jack, it's fairly obvious where to attach it, if not, go for a scissor type, & push it under the rear spring, or under the lower front spring plate.

Bob.

... there's now a hole in the center of the jack. I made an U-shaped part (can't remember how it's called in English...) with a pin under the horizontal part of the U and rubber inlay. The pin fits the hole. The U shaped part fits around the chassis leg under the door! So from the bottom up...

Thanks, Menno. We would probably call the piece you made a "saddle".

Hello, I also carry a foot pump, I have only ever had one flat, tried the scissor jack, nigh on impossible so I pumped the tyre up, put the scissor jack underneath and completed the job, cheers, Andrew

The Vitesse is so low (at the front, anyway, and with the tyre inflated) that even a 'racing' trolley jack is too high, so I have a pair of caravan levelling wedges. See pic.

The corrugations on the tilted face allow two to lock together, making them easy to pack away, and they can double as chocks, too, using the back end. Try your local caravan or campervan dealer.

John

For some years I've carried an inflatable jack which is fine for wheel changing. It connects to the exhaust pipe via a one-way valve and running the engine will inflate it pretty quickly.

Good points -

It will fit into the smallest space between the ground and the chassis.

It's good for soft ground.

It's very strong (the idea originally came from tank rescue) but I do use a spare rubber mat to give extra protection form the bag being punctured.

Downsides -

You need to be aware of the safety aspect (I usually put the spare wheel under the chassis in case of a puncture to the bag).

It's a little bulky when folded.

You need to expel the exhaust fumes after use or your car will stink.

I don't know whether they are still available but mine has helped me out several times including the time when a wheel came off (don't ask!) and the space available for a jack was nearly zero.

Rob Briggs