Nice Irish Longdoor.

Some pictures of a nice freshly restored longdoor TR2 in Ireland kindly sent to me by Niall.

Stuart.

photo3_zpsf347682e.jpg

photo4_zpsc544e1c3.jpg

photo2_zps5a2c199e.jpg

photo1_zpsc13e3c88.jpg

Too fiddly to use and set up, too expensive as they are chrome on brass castings. Also the little locking screws didnt last the course.

Stuart.

Thanks for Posting the Pics Stuart.

This is the Car that was discussed here last Year that had the Running issues,all now sorted and On the Road.

The Car above is an Early Long Door Original Irish Registered Car similar toTS2 but has remained in Ireland all its Life,sorry don't know the Comm Number.

This Car was subject to a 15yr rebuild and is now being Enjoyed by its Owner.

There were all kinds of weird bars, brackets, tubes, and trim available in period through the American aftermarket for dressing up cars like sidescreeen TRs. Many different producers. A look through the back pages of 50s-60s car magazines will show various examples. They are often questionable in both aesthetics and function.

One of the more common designs seen is a tube that extends from the rear overrider bracket to the outside -- around the corner of the car. It wouldn't be surprising to learn that was part of the kit that included these center bars here.

There was some of this stuff available in the UK, too, wasn't there? ISTR similar ads in rhe Earls Court issues of the Autocar.

Looks like he has had a few problems getting the side screens to fit to the windscreen , i've spent days adjusting the sods of things so i know it's not a walk in the park.

Graham

This took me back to the pic with the s/screens. On the pic I noticed the double row vent holes in the plinth on the bonnet. I always thought that there were 4 vent holes on a TR2 (my TR3a has two). I think that this double is a neat feature to help lowering the under bonnet temp.

Menno

Nice car indeed , but even though I'm not an addict of wire wheels, in this case (a dark coloured bodywork) they should suit better than disc wheels.

On the other side, TS 2, with white wheels looks much more elegant.

Just my humble opinion, and of course, I don't talk about originality B)

Guy

Edited by somefrenchTr3guy

My 3A came with wires, but I changed to steel because that's what it was sold with and I think they look better. Personal preference.

What I don't like about modern restorations, and it's unavoidable, is matt finish leather and pleats made with foam rubber. Both look wrong. Leather was always glossy in the old days and pleats were round, not square because they were individually stuffed with a rolled up cotton wool type stuff. I'm not sure what the solution to the leather is, but polishing with Connolleys helps.

Having said all that, I really love the car and that more and more sidescreens seem to be being resurrected. They were after all an important bit of history and a genuine competition car.

Menno

Looks like a reflection to me, theres not enough room for 2 rows above eachother

Later tr2's have 2 slots , like mine.

The two 1955 Tr2's I have owned both had 4 slots (still have both bonnets). I thought all TR2s had 4 slot bonnets but stand corrected.

Ashley's point about glossy leather is interesting, I needed to be reminded about that, but at what point did glossy leather give way to the matt stuff, I think the matt leather is much better to sit on, we all know what vinyl is like to sit on and the glossy leather was just as sticky on a hot day, I would not want gloss leather.

The point about wadding to stuff the pleats is also correct in that era, although I have never seen how original TR2 seats were made, mine were virtually just dust!!

John

Four slots in bonnet for early cars with no vent flap. Two slots in bonnet for all cars after, with vent flap. That's how I understood it anyway.

Cheers John

Edited by John390

IMHO I think that a car like John Worthing's says it all about the discussion about Steels over Wires.

I prefer a sidescreen car on wires, particularly Black or dark/light green cars (57 shades of BRG).

For interest I haven't found many if any cars in competition used steels instead of wires. If not why not you might expect a steel wheel to be stronger but the wire has more flexibility.

rgds

Rod

The early cars did have four slots; mine has four. It's aluminum too...The inner two slots may have been deleted on account of water getting in and landing on the top of the battery creating acid splash - or it could simply have been done to avoid cost. I used a Jag mark 2 battery cover on my 3A even though it had two slots to reduce the chance of damage to the underside of the bonnet from vapor exiting through the'vintage' battery caps. Will on the TR2 also at least for transport and use. A new trick over here is to put dry cell batteries in vintage style Lucas cases - no muss, no fuss.

Our cars can stay cool with two but four is certainly better....

Four slots in bonnet for early cars with no vent flap. Two slots in bonnet for all cars after, with vent flap. That's how I understood it anyway.

Cheers John

somewhere around TS61xx.

Your comment made me doubt my bonnet and.. i have 4 too (own the car for 9 years now... duhhh )

some details you seem to forget..

• 3 weeks later...

From the owner of the TR2, lot’s of interesting comments. The bars between the rear overriders are Amco original 1950’s items, and correctly spotted; there are also continuations that fix to the other side of the overrider and from there around to the rear wing, where it is bolted through, did not have the nerve to fit them!

As regards the luminescence or lack thereof of the leather, this is original Connolly leather, which took me two years to track down some old stock, I actually bought two full hides, and posted them to my trimmer. I work with leather at microscopic levels, and can tell you much of what is out there is a form of re-constituted skins made of off-cuts and grained-up under pressure and heat shiny or not.

The misaligned side screens have been sorted with some strong arm tactics, I am sure they are no more water proof than before my ‘bending’

Steel wheels, wire wheels, no more than personal choice, you cannot be right or wrong here as to which looks better, so I went with what was on the car when sold.

There is a good chance the car will be at Malvern, although I will not, and guess what it is for sale if you are interested!

John