Holidaying with aero screens

hi three'ers

I am going to take the three on holiday with me with aero screens and have a couple of questions,

how do mi keep my sat nav dry and were do i locate it

were can i buy waterproof mats that also fit onto the transmission tunnel

any advise welcome on any other things that need to be addressed

thanks pink

Pink,

I have travelled many times in the rain on aeroscreens, but 2006 was the worst when I drove to CLM and got a good soaking in a massive thunderstorm!

A few pointers:

• Carry a golf umbrella so that Tors can put it up in stationary traffic.

• Waterproof mats are available from Moss – the original type.

• If you have so much luggage behind the seats that you are unable to tuck the tonneau behind them you will need to sit on it (as we did) – if so, make sure you have good waterproof (Gortex) trousers as the resulting waterfall running down behind you and forming pools in the seats is not nice.

• In any event, decent waterproofs are a must as are waterproof gloves.

• Rain hitting your face at anything over 50 mph stings like hell (it’s even worse at 80 mph!), particularly if you’re not wearing decent eye protection. To keep in period, maybe try to find a couple of the 50s style open face crash helmets and fit a wrap round visor (or a modern full-face if you’re not fussed?) - this will prevent a free, but painful, exfoliation!

• Fit your satnav to the aeroscreen and use a short lanyard to secure it if it falls off – particularly going round corners! Or, depending on how it secures and the sucker size fit it to a gauge or the rev counter; although for the latter fix, if the satnav body is too large it may obstruct to your hand on the wheel. Alternatively, make up a bracket - probably the best solution.

• You’ll find the satnav won’t get too wet whilst driving in anything short of torrential rain, but in stationary traffic it will do – see 1 above.

Welcome to wet weather aeroscreen driving!

Have fun.

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Waterproof mats are available from Moss – the original type.

Not for the transmission tunnel (or have I missed something?).

Unfortunately I am matrimonially prevented from enjoying (???) the experience of aeroscreens, but we do regularly find ourselves driving very long distances topless (steady!!) in heavy rain. The gearbox tunnel carpet has never get wet, but the floor carpets get soaked, so rubber mats is probably a good idea (although I never swap them for the woollen carpets plus overmats, even though I have a pair). Propshaft tunnel carpet is easily protected or removed. Sat-nav - haven't got one although we could do with a plastic road atlas. Rear carpet is usually covered by luggage. Biggest problem is water running down the inside of the windscreen, but then that is one advantage of aeroscreens (wonder if I can use that as a persuader with SWMBO? OK, I know the answer "Go by yourself!!")

Hello Pink,

Dunno about aeroscreens - but I was with Andrew on "that" CLM trip. He does not exaggerate and we could only watch in sympathy as he and Baldrick got an epic soaking.

I took TS2 to the 2010 CLM and the speedo did 0-120 mph every two seconds and was plainly unfit for purpose. I stuck my Garmin GPS to the speedo glass which gave me MPH in England and Kms/Hr in France. It fitted comfortably inside the original steering wheel's diameter and was never in the way.

I reckon you'll look the bizz in a flying helmet, Snoopy goggles and a white scarf!

Have a good trip,

Willie

'59 TR3A

'72 TR6

Willie,

It wasn't Baldrick in 2006, it was my mate 'Little Dave' and he hid in the footwell when the heavens opened up – luckily he didn’t drown with all the water down there too!

Baldrick came in 2008 and pleaded with me to put the screen on, take the roof and sidescreens - it was just as well too, as we had two days of almost constant rain on the way down from Calais – but at least it stayed dry for CLM.

Pink,

I do hope you have taken full advantage of the IOW weather this weekend and have been out testing various weatherproofing options (he laughs!) in your 3A given the ideal weather conditions! :D:D

Cheers

Andrew

Nice thread. Especially when I remember the guy who left the Dutch Concours d'Elegance for a trip to Antwerp (150 mils) yesterday afternoon in the pouring rain, driving a... Bugatti Type 13. This one.

And oh, without the modern style helmet: only a leather flying cap and goggles...

The man is my hero!

Menno

BC006.JPG

Easiest answer with aeroscreens is to simply dispense with the carpets, as in leave them at home in the garage, then make sure there's a low point in the floor each side (apply large hammer to floor) and drill a hole in said low point for the water to drain out of.

And a decent set of waterproofs apiece.

Cheers,

Alec

How about a military type poncho. Fit some fasteners round the outside and get someone to clip you in. Sew two together if you have a passenger... Plus you can get them in clear so you can still see the sat nav.:)

The Poncho also can be used as a make shift shelter and can fold into a small 8" x 4" packet at the cost of £10 . I may try to make one for the TR at the weekend.... This time next year we will be millionaires...:) lol

If your car is a 3A it did not have floor carpets - just rubber mats.

I guess the Sat Nav is not orig either.

Yes get goggles at least or you get peppered painfully with rain on your face and in the eyes.

Enjoy the experience.

Cheers

Peter W

PS You can get the sceen in the boot if you take the stanchions off......

hi three'ers

I am going to take the three on holiday with me with aero screens and have a couple of questions,

how do mi keep my sat nav dry and were do i locate it

were can i buy waterproof mats that also fit onto the transmission tunnel

any advise welcome on any other things that need to be addressed

thanks pink

"Sat Nav??? We aint got no stinkin' Sat Navs!" Strictly seat of the pants!

Blue Ridge Parkway, Tennessee - North Carolina, USA

BR_Parkway_DSC_1998.jpg

Edited by angelfj

The problem driving top-down in pouring rain is that you would need wipers on the inner side of the windscreen..... :angry: So aeroscreen might be a better option

Has anybody seen the original aeroscreens made by Triumph for competion. They were sold as speed equipment package including a hard tonneau, Jabbeke car style.

If you buy a sheet of 3mm Lexan you can make a protection protection. Lexan can be perfectly shaped by applying heat and will never brake. I used it to make the sliding windows on the sidescreens, look like originals. You just have to be careful to prevent it from scratching as it's rather soft

thank you gentlemen

for your comments i have taken them on board

i have decided to------------

purchase a plastic wallet for the sat nav with a see through screen fitted, on e bay

water prof carpet for the tunnel

rubber mats for the foot well

gortex light weight coats for me and tors

water proof trousers that come up above your waist

good quality goggles

motor bike gloves with a felt forefinger fitted for wiping your goggles

sailing gloves with the thump and forefinger removed for grip

a leather flying hat so you can take the piss

Harley Davidson wing mirrors left and right

luggage rack

wish me luck, she is a real old girl that needs some love,i bought for a retirement project , a challenge to be sure

up to the international , a week in wales with the lads, ending up at the t s s c international :D:D:D

pink