Tyre Size..................again!!!

Ok, not quite what some may think. Vredestein Sprint Classic seems to be a good choice for the TR6 running on standard rims..........however on the Vredestein site they only list a 165/R15 86H (at £87 each inc a bargain!) but will they fit as normally the tyre size would be 165/80 R15 or whatever? Any help gratefully recieved as always. Steve.

165 and 165/80 are the same thing . . . . originally the first radial tyres had a nominal aspect ration of 80-82, in other words vertical height of the tyre being 80-82% of its horizontal width. Only the width was specified, as in 165, not the aspect ratio as in 80. Crossply tyres, in contrast, generally offered a 100% aspect ratio, nominal height and width being equal, but again aspect ratio was not normally specified.

Latterly low profile tyres appeared, reducing height and expanding width, hence aspect ratios of anything from 75% down to 35% nowadays. Once low profiles appeared, it became necessary to specify their aspect ratio, which was the major selling feature. It's really only necessary to specify the aspect ratio if it's less than the original standard, hence many manufacturers simply state 165 rather than 165/80.

Cheers,

Alec

Edited by Alec Pringle

I met the President of the East German Porche Club and he recommended Fulda which he used for his annual trip to the N Ring.I have fitted Fulda 195/65 to my 6 and they are the dogs b£&&/cks. :)

I have fitted Fulda 195/65

Once you go to 195/65 the world is your lobster as this is a standard tyre size from almost all the manufacturers. It's finding 165/175 in 15" that you realise your choice is severely limited.

Edited to add, the three most useful sites I have found for sizing up are:

Wheel & Tyre Compare-o-rama (Minty Lamb already mentioned on this site)

Yokohama Aspect Ratio Tyre & Rim Size comparisons

Camskill tyre shop - Good prices and fast way to see what sizes are generally available

Edited by TR Mitch

Dunlop SP Sport radials 195/65 fitted 3 years ago. Very grippy and good in the wet too.

Dunlop SP Sport radials 195/65 fitted 3 years ago. Very grippy and good in the wet too.

I have the same tyres Dunlop Sport Sp 01 on my six, and agree with Davids comments, i was however advised that they are

not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

Not that a drive in those conditions in Jersey they were fine for me. I have just replaced the fronts, and the local fitter advised that they

are now hard to get hold of as they are being replaced, i know not why.

Cheers

Guy

Guy, In those conditions, I'll stay in the wife's Mini Cooper Diesel! At my age, heroic power slides on ice are inappropriate!!

I note David & Guy's positive comments about Dunlop SP Sport tyres.However, I also found on the tyre-shopper.com website that 195/65R15 91H AVON ZV3 tyres were rated slightly higher than the SP Sport. I am thinking of trying a set of these Avons so would appreciate feedback from anyone with experience of them on a TR ?

I'd take all internet reviews with a pinch of salt. A mate is director of a company that makes a commonly used domestic product. He has a team of 12 (yep twelve) people who sit all day everyday signing up a variety of usernames and writing glorious reviews for his products or slagging off the competition across all the usual review sites.

I note David & Guy's positive comments about Dunlop SP Sport tyres.However, I also found on the tyre-shopper.com website that 195/65R15 91H AVON ZV3 tyres were rated slightly higher than the SP Sport. I am thinking of trying a set of these Avons so would appreciate feedback from anyone with experience of them on a TR ?

Hi CRO

I am now on my second set of these tyres & must say really pleased, even work well in snow during 2010 winter :rolleyes::rolleyes: . I do drive them hard & always feel in control of the car.

Cheers

Mike B)

All I know is that 'modern' tyres have transformed the grip (TR's don't have handling) of my 6 from the 'wooden' things they originally were sold with as original equipment!

My original Dunlop SP Sports Radials (they had the cheek to call them 'Sports') back in the early 70's were absoloutly lethal in the wet! :o

Curiously enough my wife's Mini cooper is now fitted with 225/45 Avons in place of the original Continental run flats. Much less harsh ride but the same grip in the dry and better in the wet.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the guidance everyone. After long and hard thinking, I went for 5.5 inch Minilites with 165/80 Vredestein classics.

Here are some comparisons for anyone else thinking about a swap. The old wheels were 6" Minators with 195/65s.

minf1.jpg

Old

minif1.jpg

New

tyres_side2.jpg

Side by side

tyres_side.jpg

Side by side

front_ot.jpg

Old

front_nt.jpg

New

Only driven a few miles this evening and the feel of the car is completely different, the steering extremely responsive compared to the tramlining of the 195/65 tyres. I'm glad I listened!

• 3 years later...

As I said before on tyre threads the original 165 is correct equipment for a classic TR6 and as Mitch above has proven looks correct too!

I assume people who have fitted wider tyres for some reason have informed their insurance companies as surely it's considered a 'Modification' ? as it makes the car harder to steer and is an extra strain on all the (aging) components!

• 2 years later...

I'm planning to reinstate the steels on my TR6 early next year, current set up is 6 x 15 wolfrace with 205/60 15. I've been searching for pictures of 6's wearing 165's but that's not been as easy to find as I thought, it seems a LOT of them have wider and lower profile tyres, so it's harder to see a 6 with such 'thin' tyres to know it'll still look good. 

The pictures in this thread certainly look really good with the correct size fitted and have made me decide over the 185/70 alternative to go for the original UK size...now to decide what brand?

Gareth

10 minutes ago, Fireman049 said:

Hi Kev ~

A very wise choice of tyres in my opinion (XAs).

Tom.

Hi Tom, I’ve been very happy with them and they were a lot better than the Vredestein Sprint Classics but to be fair they were a bit old.