TR6 engine on a stand-safety question

I need to attach a TR6 engine to an engine stand for inspection/stripdown.

The thing is, the bolts that hold the plate on the rear engine plate on don't look nearly man enough to support the weight of the whole engine (I mean longer bolts of the same thread rather than the actual bolts that hold the plate on)

The last thing I want is the engine to drop off the stand.

Anyone tried it? is it safe?

Simon

Simon, I`ve rebuilt two Triumph "sixes" mounted on stands. Like you I didn`t really trust the bolts and ended up mounting both engines on the side where the engine mounts bolt on. The only downside is it gets a bit heavy to rotate but if someone can give you a hand to steady it there are no issues. Piccie attached. Hope this helps, Steve.

I've had a couple on stands ( at different times) mounted where the back plate goes . I agree the bolts don't look man enough but the block never fell off . TBH I found it a PITA to turn round as it seemed quite badly balanced . The last rebuild I did on the bench and manhandled it about .

I use an old back plate to bolt to the stand. I can use much bigger bolts than will fit into the block, and the block can be easily positioned, using the adustment that the stand provides, to place its CofG near the axis of rotation.

Only two probs.

A/ you can't fit the rear crankshaft oilseal housing while on the stand with the back plate in place. Solution: cut a bigger hole in the back plate.

B/ you may not have a "spare back plate"! Solution: buy some 1/8" mild steel plate, drill it to take the block bolts (use a back plate as a pattern) and also for the stand bolts.

See pic: Old Back Plate painted red to remind me NEVER to leave it on an engine after it comes off the stand!

If you go to this thread: http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=22706&st=0&p=162508&&do=findComment&comment=162508 you can see the pic (post 11) and that'll save me using up more of the pitiful graphics allowance we get here!

John

You can mount the side of the engine on the stand. I can't work out how to post a picture on the new forum. Basically you put two bolts into the lug onto which the engine mounting bolts and then one bolt through the water drain hole on the side of the block. This gives a relatively well balanced three point fixation.

Davidpost-7365-0-23657900-1315781529_thumb.jpg

post-7365-0-23657900-1315781529_thumb.jpg

Edited by WWT338J

Hi Simon

I used a modified (cut away) back plate as I didn't trust the weight of a fully built 6 engine on 4 x 5/16 unf bolts. I bolted the backplate to the block (with all of the correct bolts) and then bolted the backplate to the engine stand with 4 big bolts:

DSCF0130.jpg

Tony

You can mount the side of the engine on the stand. I can't work out how to post a picture on the new forum. Basically you put two bolts into the lug onto which the engine mounting bolts and then one bolt through the water drain hole on the side of the block. This gives a relatively well balanced three point fixation.

Davidpost-7365-0-23657900-1315781529_thumb.jpg

David

;) That's the way to do it imho

Recently rebuilt my engine using the 4 smallish bolts into the block after asking the same of others who wound up setting the engine up the same way. Surprisingly held the engine just fine, but does inspire some reservations.

• 5 years later...

Hi

I want to try out the side mounting set up that is pictured in this thread ( ie two of the engine mount holes and the water plug)

Can anyone tells what the threads are so I can source suitable boots? I think they may be UNF?

Also has anyone else tried it as I'm aware this is a relatively old post.

Thanks

Hi Mark

I bought 2 upright engine stands - both with straight vertical uprights (not the angled type) from ebay - from memory about £49 each. Then joined them together and modified the face plates a little to fit the engine mounting points. Worked really well. You can see some pictures of it being used on my owners blog, About half way down the list of pictures. Here's the link

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/rebuilders-diary/2016/02/0055/TR5-Patience-Rebuild

Hope that helps

Best Bill

Thanks all for the quick responses. Can anyone tell me though what thread the engine mount bolts are and also the one to the left ( which I think is a water plug) as I need to buy some bolts. (Bill I have already bought an engine stand so am going to go with the option suggested by David above).

Regards

David,

I also like the idea of doing it the way that you did using the engine mount and block drain tap holes. Apart from the bolts needed to go into the block, are all the other plates, spacers etc part of the engine stand kit?

Tks

Paul

Shear strength of a 6 inch nail is 4 tons. 4 X 5/16 bolts is

shear strength of a 5/16" bolt is?

I think we've already established that they are wusses.

Mick Richards

I want to try out the side mounting set up that is pictured in this thread ( ie two of the engine mount holes and the water plug)

Can anyone tells what the threads are so I can source suitable boots? I think they may be UNF?

I used side mounting this year and liked it, as for bolt size I just used the ones that bolt the engine mount to the block!