Dashboard ideas..non purist

:blink:

Hi All,

I have a spare wooden dash, the veneer doesnt match on the glove box door and is a bit of a mess, really could do re veering........

But my existing dash is fine, so i was thinking of doing something radical to it, as an experiment

First thought , cover it in leather ethier black or red :blink: or ally. :blink:

Has anybody seen anything other than the standard wood finish? Any ideas. ;)

Regards

Guy

Does this qualify as non-purist? It's one-of-a-kind in any case. By Prestige Autowood in California, last of the veneer of this flavo(u)r:

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp84/im...15L9-6-8010.jpg

Goes with the polished alloy top:

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp84/im...15L9-6-8029.jpg

Maybe you could do the dash in polished alloy and go for a striking wood patterned hardtop :P

Does this qualify as non-purist? It's one-of-a-kind in any case. By Prestige Autowood in California, last of the veneer of this flavo(u)r:

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp84/im...15L9-6-8010.jpg

Goes with the polished alloy top:

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp84/im...15L9-6-8029.jpg

Maybe you could do the dash in polished alloy and go for a striking wood patterned hardtop :P

The only problem with a polished alloy dash is reflections. Would a wood pattern hardtop make it a "Woody" :lol:

Stuart.

:blink:

Hi All,

I have a spare wooden dash, the veneer doesnt match on the glove box door and is a bit of a mess, really could do re veering........

But my existing dash is fine, so i was thinking of doing something radical to it, as an experiment

First thought , cover it in leather ethier black or red :blink: or ally. :blink:

Has anybody seen anything other than the standard wood finish? Any ideas. ;)

Regards

Guy

why not paint it in black crackle finish.

or would that make it into a mgb :(

richard

Not polished alloy, but 'turned' alloy.

Any clean piece of alloy sheet can be given this finish.

Use a wire brush with a flat end, mounted in a drill press.

Mark out the piece at centres a little nearer together than the brush is wide.

Lower the brush onto the work, centered on a mark, briefly and move on to the next in line.

Then do the next line.

Best done on a larger sheet that you then cut to face the dash.

I did this for pratical reasons - I needed to mount a number of switches etc on a dash that was merely a sheet of marine ply.

Black matt for the ply, large holes cut in it, faced with alloy sheet as above, screwed to the ply with cross-cut head self-tappers.

Looks very 'meant', IMHO.

I know, it's not a TR! But still!

John

Yes, lacquered 'engine turning' as John describes, was often seen on quality sports cars of the 20s, and could look good, plus the turns minimize the problem of reflection.

Might show to best advantage with black-bezelled instruments.

And then there's planished copper, or anodising in infinite colours....

Leather, well, been looking idly at a lot of Darts, I like them best in ye olde brown, otherwise reminds me of a half-baked Corvette.

If I were looking for different treatments, I might also visit the Custom Car world, if there's an option I guess they've been there done it. :P

Ivor

There was a rather twee TR7, automatic, in the white, in Brighton c1979-80. It belonged to a restaurateur of my acquaintance, a chap of dubious taste.

Said owner considering the red tartan and black interior rather macho, converted it to grey/pink tartan with a pink-flocked dash, at not inconsiderable expense - even the hood was pink. The stylist who achieved this transformation having been flown in from California . . . does it survive I wonder ?

It was one heck of a crowd-puller, albeit not the sort of crowd I'd have wished to pull ;)

I can't help wondering what that sort of colour scheme might look like on a real TR !

Cheers,

Alec

Guy,

I used a solid piece of maple, had it planed and then finished it with oil. I decided not to cut a glovebox and also not to varnish it. Instead, I have been using beeswax as used on fine furniture. I really like the look. As far as durability... I have had the dash on my car for over 3 years and it still looks just as nice as when I first put it on.

As far as aluminium... That opens up another range completely. You could make a dash from a sheet of aluminium and have it powdercoated. The result would be quite stunning...

BTW, CLICK HERE for more info and pics of my dash...

joe

Phone Classic Dash, ask for his ideas, did me a lovely "one-off" for my last 6, black veneer of some sort, with matched steering wheel. I was very pleased, and no more expensive than standard wood dash.

Rob.

Tastefully done. It has that 'expensive' look about it...well done

Tony

Depends on your perspective I guess!!! :blink:

Is it just me? Am I so much of a dinosaur that I just cant understand why people want to make their TR's into Jensen lookalikes (interiors that is) or dare I say it MGB's or Jaguars. Why dont they just buy Jensens or Jaguars to begin with?

When you see a genuine patina finish on an original dash then thats something else not some shiny Burl Ives........sorry burled and swirled Mickey Mouse recreation that is sold by dealers today along with enough bling items to make your TR6 look like an MX5 on heat !!!!

Sorry just dont want the hairdresser look in a TR of any kind. :huh:

Alan

Guy,

if you want to bring it into the 21 century, why not use thin carbon fibre sheet, or (cheaper) carbon look plastic laminate now available?

john

Not wanting to appear too much tongue in cheek but what about Draylon covered Formica maybe??? :P

Alan

Well said Alan,

It's a TR, not a TVR or a Jag thank heavens.

Save the weight and just paint the metal . . .

Or go really daft, there's even Fablon for that authentic 1960s look ? Many of us must have owned cars with Fablon-covered dashes in the dim and distant past . . . :lol:

No worse than pink flock, and even that's better than several surplus kilos of overpolished bling.

Cheers,

Alec

Pink flock??...what are you thinking Alec.. :lol:

I reckon Rob put an enormous amount of time and effort into his interior and the results justify this (my opinion). So much so, that I also will be having a Burr walnut dash, it certainly looks better than the plank of teak I had previously. Mind you, the pink flock is growing on me.. ;) Wouldn't it be boring if all the TR6's were the same?

Tony

Pink flock??...what are you thinking Alec.. :lol:

I reckon Rob put an enormous amount of time and effort into his interior and the results justify this (my opinion). So much so, that I also will be having a Burr walnut dash, it certainly looks better than the plank of teak I had previously. Mind you, the pink flock is growing on me.. ;) Wouldn't it be boring if all the TR6's were the same?

Tony

Tony I have a great suggestion........maybe you could get your dash top and lower padded dash sections covered in long fluffy pink stuff (seen in Stinky and Crutch in the 70's) and some 18" chrome dubs (ask your kids if you dont know what dubs are) and a matching Mohair hood :lol:

You most certainly would stand out from the rest of the TR6 brigade then and you would never be called boring......maybe lots of other unkind names but never boring !!

My main point Tony was that why must some people be compelled into making the TR range into something it never was and frankly never will be !! I blame the dealers who know they can sell as much blingy bits and glitzy sh+t as they can because they are scared to remake the original parts because they are more difficult to get right and there is more mark up on the (Aviators required) chromey chinzy parts. :huh:

Ok enough said from me.

Huggy Bear ( oh well Alan then)

Not polished alloy, but 'turned' alloy.

Any clean piece of alloy sheet can be given this finish.

Use a wire brush with a flat end, mounted in a drill press.

Mark out the piece at centres a little nearer together than the brush is wide.

Lower the brush onto the work, centered on a mark, briefly and move on to the next in line.

Then do the next line.

Best done on a larger sheet that you then cut to face the dash.

I did this for pratical reasons - I needed to mount a number of switches etc on a dash that was merely a sheet of marine ply.

Black matt for the ply, large holes cut in it, faced with alloy sheet as above, screwed to the ply with cross-cut head self-tappers.

Looks very 'meant', IMHO.

I know, it's not a TR! But still!

John

Hello Guy,

I'd definately agree with John to go for something a bit different this could have a great effect. Why not try and create the Mercedes Avantgarde look. Could be cool. ;)

Hey Guy,

Thought about this very thing some time ago. Decided on an American white oak dash. Then rebate around the center four gauges and (in my case) starter button to a depth of about 1.5mm. Fill the rebate with polished stainless profile. Plotted out the five hole profile and Emailed it to the laser cutters. got the profile back OK, but scaled down in size by about 2mm ????????????. Haven't had time to look at it since.