Radically Improving TR6 Fuel Economy - The Future

Hi Tom, I don't know if it is 1.15 or 1.2, blame it on TR6 Poor! In an Imperial Pint there's 20 fluid ounces of water - what's in a US pint? - 16 as ounces in a pound? if that's the case, there's 454 mls to a US pint, which would be 3.635 Litres in a US Gallon.

Hi Jon,

Well, there are 16 fluid ounces/U.S. pint. Using the numbers on a San Pelligrino bottle containing 25.3 fl. oz. = 750 mL gives 474 mL/ pint. How many liters in an Imperial gallon? That would nail the matter... ;) Anyway, the mileage in Imperial gallons for my TR is getting better and better! :P

Fair enough Jon, but not every body wants to drive around in circles and be limited to a distance of 50 miles :D
Have a big tank - think we might get close to 100;)

Trust me once you have experienced it! It is the only way to drive your TR's. Revving to 7-7.5 in the gears does hurt the mpg a tad........ (did I mention 3 Phat 45's;)).

Tom

There are 4.54 litres in a 'Proper' Gallon :) and as I understand it 4 litres to a US gall...

Brgds

Actually, there are less than 4 litres to the U.S. gallon - 3.8 is more like it ( ref: San Pelligrino bottle on my desk 25.3 oz = 750 mL ). Using 4.54 L to the Imperial gallon does make it equal to 1.2 U.S. gallons.

So my overall fuel economy in the ~ 150 BHP triple-Webered TR250 is 24 mpg ( Imperial ) and 30+ highway. Not too bad considering 19 for the TR5 tested in its day by the motoring press ;)

And not forgetting Chains and Furlongs! :lol:

Stuart.

Errrrrrrrr, been there Stuart! Whereabouts in Grampound Road are you, I had a quick look round the small industrial estate on A394 side when I passed through earlier today but didn't find you.

Errrrrrrrr, been there Stuart! Whereabouts in Grampound Road are you, I had a quick look round the small industrial estate on A394 side when I passed through earlier today but didn't find you.

Jon I am the opposite side of Grampound road village heading for Fraddon. Just look for the sign that says "Cornish Pork" on the left turn in there and then turn up into the livery yard on the right.

Stuart.

Hi Chris, there are 4.544 Litres to an Imperial Gallon 8 pints (568ml to a pint) = 1 Gallon, and if there are 1.2 US Gallons to an Imp. Gall., 3.787Litres to US Gall..

1000 metres is, near as damn it, 0.625 (5/8ths or furlongs) of a mile (1,760 yds - 8 furlongs). There are 22 yards to a chain, 10 chains to a furlong, 80 chains to a Statute mile. A Nautical Mile is longer again, and a speed of 1 nautical mile per hour is 1 knot!

Guess what ? I have now a terrible headache :blink:

30 Miles/Gallon, not so bad ;) ...

Edited by Chris59

Has anybody yet had the opportunity to setup the MU with the Innovate wide band oxygen sensor kit.

If so has been able to make any real big improvements, What it was and what they have been aboe to set it up to. I still have to do this exercise on my PI 5, Just wondered if it will make that much of an improvement.

I know my speedo isnt correct so its difficult to get a real useful figure or reading.

Regards John

Well, what can I say? Thanks for all your comments. Some TR6 fans don't seem to be interested in fuel economy too much, but with over 1000 views and 40 blogs or so, my initial points have possibly meant something to most. I am a bit lost with John L's comments about an oxygen sensor and the MU - I presume a different MU to the original mechanical lucas? Regarding DIY kits, I read somewhere that Vauxhall/Opel Senator/Omega 2.5 EFI units could be adapted to suit the TR6. I think we all have a responsibility to be approaching 40 UK MPG on a run some how !!??

Well, what can I say? Thanks for all your comments. Some TR6 fans don't seem to be interested in fuel economy too much, but with over 1000 views and 40 blogs or so, my initial points have possibly meant something to most. I am a bit lost with John L's comments about an oxygen sensor and the MU - I presume a different MU to the original mechanical lucas? Regarding DIY kits, I read somewhere that Vauxhall/Opel Senator/Omega 2.5 EFI units could be adapted to suit the TR6. I think we all have a responsibility to be approaching 40 UK MPG on a run some how !!??

Tr6 jci

I dont know about 40 mpg but as you know its 40mph (legally :rolleyes::lol: ) on the rock, so at 40 mph whats our mpg?

Cheers

Guy

Nb at what speed is the average Tr most economical?

Edited by Jersey Royal

:P

I know i am getting a bit of a reputation on here for being outspoken but bloody hell if you can't afford to run it then don't

in the words of a scottish F1 man LIVE LIFE LOVE LIFE !

:lol:

Thought this might be of help to others, I have just brought this digital Air fuel ratio guage off ebay for £25

Together with a narrow band sensor which I have located in the exhaust near the manifold I hope to be able to put my mind at ease to see if I am running lean at high speed motoring!

I know it runs rich around town but am concerned with motorway driving as I achieved 32mpg on the last trip to the lakes !

Unable to test it however due to other problems at the moment.

http://www.turbobits.co.uk/acatalog/dynotu...atio_gauge.html

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/L...lRatioGuage.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/L...10/Scan0006.jpg

Cheers

Mark

Hi

I have a Bosch L-Jetronic injection on my TR6, with a 125 HP CR engine , the injection comes from an Opel Senator 2,5

On highway driving in overdrive the best I have measured is 0,9 liter on 10 kilometres.

That is 1,4481 liters on ten miles.

Distance on an Imperial gallon 4,544 liters /1,4481=3,137*10

That is 31,37 miles on an Imperial gallon.

I belive I should be able to get 35-40 miles per gallon if I have new injectors,new sparkplugs and the injection system optimally tuned.

Oystein

"Some TR6 fans don't seem to be interested in fuel economy too much" . . . damn right :rolleyes:

"I think we all have a responsibility to be approaching 40 UK MPG on a run some how !!??" . . . er, why exactly ? :unsure:

If it's the daily driver, fair enough - within reason. The majority of us in the UK and Europe have at least some degree of concern for our pockets, and to a lesser extent the environment. If the media on this side of the Atlantic are to be believed, both those concerns are of somewhat lesser priority in North America. No doubt those who reside in the land of the Hummer and the Viper can offer a more experienced opinion from their side of the Pond.

However, for most of us a TR isn't the daily driver, whichever side of the Pond we're based. It's a hobby car, an indulgence, which takes up a lot of time, effort and money. And it's a sports car for crying out loud, it's a hooligan machine by definition, driving for enjoyment and the hell of it, not because we have to get to work or go to the shops.

If you're going to get all worked up about fuel consumption, stone chips on the spoiler, or brake dust on the wheels - then surely you're driving the wrong car ? Maybe the shrink would prescribe a customised hybrid Prius with a carbra on the nose ?

Sure, domestic politicians in search of a vote might have a lot to say about responsibility, and what we old car nuts should be doing to save the planet. Well, bollocks to the lot of them. Scurrilous parasites. The impact of classic cars on the environment is somewhere between not-a-lot and bugger-all - certainly in comparison to the average coal-fired power station, or what we gleefully throw about the developing world in munitions, let alone the average volcanic eruption.

Perhaps we ought to make more efforts towards concentrating the mindset of the average politico. As in lay off the motorist, pal, and work on something useful - like human rights in China, Mugabe in Zimbabwe, Aids and heroin everywhere, or sorting out the balls-ups in Afghanistan, the Balkans, Ethiopia, Iraq or Sudan. You know, it's not like they're short of potential targets to focus on. They could actually try doing something useful for a change ? ;)

Meanwhile, enjoy it while it lasts, pedal to the metal, and head for the horizon whilst you still can. They've got the guns, we've got the numbers - but we're in terminal danger of becoming such a bunch of ruddy baabaas that the unrighteous will have us all on our pushbikes before we know it. Then it'll be too late.

Cheers,

Alec

Well, to own a Viper or the big Hummer, one has to be well off over here, average people can't afford them, only the rich. To get rich over here, basically there are 2 ways in my opinion, you can inherit money, or, you will have to steal it. That said, there are many "legal" ways to steal it. Many will disagree, but, America has become a place where one person steals from another to make a living, a place where most do exactly opposite of what they say they are going to do, where nobody can prove anything, nobody is accountable, and everyone maintains "deny ablilty". I don't have much of a chance at either of the income "products" mentioned above, so, I don't have a Viper, or the large Hummer. The money I have spent on parts from the UK, I would hope someone over there is driving an Aston Martin, or Rolls Royce, or most certainly a Bentley. Unlike a Viper or Hummer, they do get good gas milege don't they? I would suspect it is the same just about everywhere in the world. Cheers

Yes, very well said, these days greed is ruling the world. Just recently saw one of the yachts of the vice president of Micros*** :(:( It was in the dock for refurbishment, according to the guide just 30 million dollars, so what who cares about fuel prices. Anyhow these people fill up tax free :) often from floating filling station in international waters.

I must say I don't care that much about 5 pounds more or less, but nowaday you can't refill anymore outside your country in weekends without holding a local bank card, and high fuel consumption seriously does shorten the range of your car. I just did 2500km in France with daily refueling and once off the motorway and away from cities, fuel pumps are rather scarce. If you rely on your sat-nav POI to find a station you will notice that about 3/4 of the stations displayed have been closed. So be warned if driving scenic routes in France ;) especially on weekends

Fuel economy versus classic car passion is an emotive subject it would appear!

BMW M5's have a switch to programme the ECU between sport and economy settings. I don't know if any of the DIY ECU hardware and software can take a switch to change between an economy and sport setting. This would be ideal, because whatever various other members have to say about not trying to save fuel, surely everyone agrees that getting optimal economy on a run (ie. fast roads or motorways) is a good idea?

Even those who like to "head for the horizon pedal to the metal" might stand half a chance of making it there before they run out of petrol!

I don't think there is a valid arguement not to try and improve fuel economy in certain conditions, i.e. on a long run.