Radically Improving TR6 Fuel Economy - The Future

With petrol prices soaring and not much good news about the economy, it seems that the classic car world may be under threat.

Let's face it, 20 mpg ish is set to become a thing of the past for regular motoring unless you're crazy.

Some have put EFI's on their TR6's and claim 28-35 mpg is possible.

They don't weigh much really, surely 40 mpg ought to be possible somehow.

Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe with a "tame" cam shaft, electric fan, water pump, and careful efi fuel mapping, 40mpg might be attainable.....?

Or is this totally unrealistic?

If you are using it every day - 10k or so a year then yes economy may become important . Buy a Smart car and garage the 6 . A modern economy engine in a 6 will ruin it and probably make it unsellable (if there is such a word) . If like most, the car doesnt go that far every year then I for one am not concerned . My old XJS only got 11mpg - that got sore in the pocket !!

With petrol prices soaring and not much good news about the economy, it seems that the classic car world may be under threat.

Let's face it, 20 mpg ish is set to become a thing of the past for regular motoring unless you're crazy.

Some have put EFI's on their TR6's and claim 28-35 mpg is possible.

They don't weigh much really, surely 40 mpg ought to be possible somehow.

Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe with a "tame" cam shaft, electric fan, water pump, and careful efi fuel mapping, 40mpg might be attainable.....?

Or is this totally unrealistic?

Interesting problem: Even us tractor boys are feeling the pinch <_< . We are already good for 30mpg all day and at 50mph cruise we can tickle up to 40mpg. With efi fitted to the four BUT with normal power retained (efi would normally be fitted for more power!) all of the saving would be in MPG, 45+ should be doable..................

However, as Revington want £3000 to S/F it it would take some time to get your money back if all you are gaining is 5mpg....................... :lol:

"Or is this totally unrealistic?"

Damn right it is.

Try shooting a few commodity speculators instead, pour encourager les autres . . .

If you're that worried, buy a Spitfire or a Spridget.

Or better still, a V8 whilst you still can :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Alec

"Or better still, a V8 whilst you still can :rolleyes:

Hear hear.

You think it's expensive now? In a year it will be over £6/gallon.

And more speed (theft) cameras.

Just drive the thing, and buy some oil company or mining shares to offset the cost.

Ivor

If someone can get 30 -40 mpg out of a TR6, then, I think the major automakers would start making them again. Let's face it, they aren't getting that with modern technology, so how are we going to get it with a 30+ year old technology? I also belive the ones who claim upwards of 30 mpg, they better check they speedo calibration, or their math. Cheers

On an economy run,one of our members (NLG) on his own, produced EFI managed 40 mpg.I must add that he uses his TR5 around plenty of race tracks on track days,Nuremberg ring being one of his favourites.So it can be done.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter. :rolleyes:

I for one believes that once the speculators move on to pastures new, China cut subsdies on fuel (which they are now beginning to do), and the dollar gets stronger, oil will come down again. I'm sick and tired of the people who keep telling me it will be £10 per gallon next year. My opinion only and I may be totally wrong. If it will get to £10 per gallon, god help all of us.

Wyn

p.s. I hope all this happens soon as my 2500 ltr oil tank is nearly empty

I also belive the ones who claim upwards of 30 mpg, they better check they speedo calibration, or their math.

On a few occasions, steady motorway runs at around 70 - 75mph I have achieved just over 30mpg out of the 5... Generally (and without 'thrashing things') I can regularly return 25mpg... I have checked the speedo with Sat Nav and my neighbour's 'Road Angel' and all seems to be in order... Once it gets returned from its '40th Birthday Makeover' (due back with me immediately prior to the International - can't wait :rolleyes: !) I shall be embarking on a long 'tour' and intend maintaining a record of how the old girl performs... I shall post the results!!!

Brgds

A few reference points to add:

1. A TR2 managed to achieve 71 mpg in a fuel economy contest back in the '50s, according to Graham Robson's TRIUMPH TRs.

2. A TR250 or U.S. TR6 with overdrive will deliver 34 mpg U.S. ( = ~39 mpg Imp. ) on the highway, with the 10/50/50/10 early cam.

3. My Acura TSX ( aka Honda Accord in the RoW ) with its 2.4l 205 HP 4-cyl just returned 24.8 mpg U.S.

Seems to me the option is available if fuel economy is paramount, and with original fitment too ;)

Assuming an annual mileage of 5,000 miles, an increase in price from £1 per litre to £1.30 equates to approximately £270 per year increase. Doubt there is anything you could do that is economical based on the limited mileage (LPG maybe!!!). This amount is small compared to the investment most of us forum users put into our cars.

Wyn

Just curious how many of you use a 6 as daily transport?

My 6 [currently US spec CF] returns about 25 mpg; I have owned a ton of them and have never surpassed this level of fuel economy; however, I dont use it for anything more than fun now so I really don't care.

Also owned are a volvo v70 [19-25 mpg], Ford van [18-22 mpg], Chevrolet small truck V6 [15-22 mpg] a jet boat and jet ski [dont even ask how much petrol they burn] and my last 2 vehicles were 73 stag and 85 xjs...the xjs makes me appreciate the 6's economy, lol.

On the US side, regular unleaded is around $4 US gallon this week; unfortunately, most of us have to drive a considerable distance to jobs, grocery stores, etc. There is no such thing as decent mass transit in the City where I live (1 million people in the SMSA). It was refreshing to see the Chinese raise the floor on petrolium products--now if we can get serious about hydrogen fuel cells, there will be plenty of petrol left for our 6s.

Best

The TR2 which returned 71 mpg on the Mobil Economy Run in the 1950s was driven in an "interesting" fashion: inflate tyres above normal pressure, use highest gear possible, accelerate quickly then coast - repeat ad nauseam, cut engine when on descents etc. The TR2 is a very torquey beast and could get up hills in top when other cars had to go as low as second and could stop at the end of a descent because the car is comparatively light and its drum brakes quite large (remember what most "modern" cars were like then - gutless and useless brakes!).

A good TR2 (such as the old heap which I owned from 1963-1969), driven hard in the 1960s (i.e. normal cruising at 100 mph) would consistently return in excess of 30 mpg - absolutely amazing. Equally, it would pull overdrive top on a 3.7 axle from 800 rpm up a gentle incline from Wandsworth to Wimbledon Common - few saloon cars could do that.

Ian Cornish

I have not long since had my engine rebuil, stage 2 head, extractor manifold, lightened and balanced, cam and set up by Malcom at prestige (genius) etc, etc and have driven to le mans and back.

I put fuel in to the brim when I left liverpool and then drove to Newhaven, filling up at the end of the motorway (M56, M6, M6 Toll, M42, M40, M25,M23). I was expecting bad news but it worked out at 33.4 mpg.

I kept a fairly steady 65 - 70 mph. The car ran like a dream.

I have to say that when I push it you can almost see the needle move and returns about 16 mpg.

Geoff

Well, lets put it this way. To think any car built in the early 70's, could approach a modern car, of the same size and weight, and similar horsepower, in fuel economy, doesn't work for me, it just isn't going to happen. Technology wins every time, and don't argue with the engineers. Discussing MPG is like talking about politics, religion, type of oil to use, you shouldn't do it with friends. Also, it appears, an Imperial gallon is 1.2 US gallons. Cheers

Well, well, well.....

I just have to find how to convert Mpg (British or American's :lol: ) in L/100 km (liters per 100km) :rolleyes: ...

Never check on my TR's but my 2500 PI use to do 9.25L/100 km, thanks to a Malcolm (P&D) metering unit.

Hi Chris, there are 4.544 Litres to an Imperial Gallon 8 pints (568ml to a pint) = 1 Gallon, and if there are 1.2 US Gallons to an Imp. Gall., 3.787Litres to US Gall..

1000 metres is, near as damn it, 0.625 (5/8ths or furlongs) of a mile (1,760 yds - 8 furlongs). There are 22 yards to a chain, 10 chains to a furlong, 80 chains to a Statute mile. A Nautical Mile is longer again, and a speed of 1 nautical mile per hour is 1 knot!

Well, lets put it this way. To think any car built in the early 70's, could approach a modern car, of the same size and weight, and similar horsepower, in fuel economy, doesn't work for me, it just isn't going to happen. Technology wins every time, and don't argue with the engineers.

The modern cars have VTEC and closed-loop sensing systems to optimize fuel economy while still making power available ( make no mistake: if the power is used, the fuel will be consumed just the same as on our TRs ).

If an Imperial gallon makes 1.2 U.S. ( I was using 1.15 ) then the TR250 and early carb TR6 will give that 40 mpg ( Imperial ) which began this topic. Since no VTEC though, power is not available to these. I am sceptical that EFI can give major fuel economy advantage to our cars vs. a well set up original P.I. or :P Webers. To have the cake and eat it both I'm afraid requires VTEC <_<

Has anyone fitted a viable fi or efi fuel injection system from another vehicle ? Is there is a system like that will fit with some modification? Hopefully from a scrapped doner car as otherwise the costs of going down that route wont be worth it even with the present cost of fuel.

I was thinking of the bosch jetronic metering with the original throttle bodies and plenem - possible or not ?

Thoughts and details please !

Mark

If an Imperial gallon makes 1.2 U.S. ( I was using 1.15 ) then the TR250 and early carb TR6 will give that 40 mpg ( Imperial ) which began this topic.

Hi Tom, I don't know if it is 1.15 or 1.2, blame it on TR6 Poor! In an Imperial Pint there's 20 fluid ounces of water - what's in a US pint? - 16 as ounces in a pound? if that's the case, there's 454 mls to a US pint, which would be 3.635 Litres in a US Gallon.