Single speed wipers

Since owning my car the wipers have only worked on one speed - fast. Before I start investigating while off the road for a new clutch just wondered if this was a common problem to get me started looking somewhere

Hi Peelie,

My '74 CR is two speed. It's the same switch used on the MK1V Spitfire I used to own and probably other Leyland misfits. I think it is fairly common for this switch to fail with age. It is also pretty common for it to just be a loose or corroded wire at the wiper motor connector block end. I sufferred both at various stages with both Spitfire and TR. It should be easy to diagnose whether the fault is with the switch or the wiring etc.

N.B. I have to run mine on fast anyway as my rack is now so slow it can't overcome the friction on 'slow' speed! :wacko:

Good luck,

Michael.

If you are interested send me private message with an E=mail address. I will mail you a PDF concerning wiper operation and problem solving , 9 pages. :rolleyes:

Jean, I could use one of those please - but mine is a CF - I assume that they are the same(?) PM sent.

Cheers,

Austin

Hi Jean, I am interested by your "PDF concerning wiper operation and problem solving , 9 pages" and I shall send a PM.

Thanks' in advance

Regards

Check the wires on the switch are in the correct positions, otherwise you will only get either slow or fast speed not both, if the wipers don't stop its the little plastic switch inside the motor that is stuck. For frictions probs take the motor off grease the flexi cable turn the wiper splines 1/4 turn and re insert. Andy

And don't bother buying a aftermarket one from moss. They are absolute rubbish!

Should be two speed Denis.

Really, what even an old Aug 69 car? Hmmm...Maybe it's because it hasn't been out in the rain for at least 30 years, and I've just forgotten, at the MOT they only do a couple of wipes!

Really, what even an old Aug 69 car? Hmmm...Maybe it's because it hasn't been out in the rain for at least 30 years, and I've just forgotten, at the MOT they only do a couple of wipes!

Denis,

Since 1965 all TR4A, TR5/250 and TR6 should have two speed wipers.

Cheers

Graeme

Edited by graeme

Hi Denis,

Yup, I have a 1969 CP TR6 and have 2 speed wipers. Switch 'up' is off. Middle position (so switch is flat to dash) is speed 1 and 'down' is speed 2.

We learn a bit each day..!!

Cheers, J.

You drive yours in the rain!!!

Last time I tried that was about 30 years ago, they slide all over the place! Understeer then snap oversteer, horrid...perhaps it was the slow Wipers all along?

You drive yours in the rain!!!

Last time I tried that was about 30 years ago, they slide all over the place! Understeer then snap oversteer, horrid...perhaps it was the slow Wipers all along?

What? Mines totally predictable in the rain - drives just fine and inspires total confidence! Must be the modern 195's! (Sorry Denis - couldn't resist)

Regards,

Michael.

Hi Denis,

well I don't plan to drive it in the rain, but I guess on average it probably gets wet around 3 times a year. (mostly just a shower which can then dry off as I continue to drive...)

As others have said, not found handling a problem in the rain. 'Course I ease off the right foot a little, but on 195 tyres all seems predictable.! ^_^:D

Cheers,

J.

Sorry for the thread deviation but do those of you who avoid rain then cancel any pre planned trip if the forecast is iffy? Presumably you don't do any long distance trips. Each to his own I suppose but I prefer to get the most out of Eric, rain or shine.

Sorry for the thread deviation but do those of you who avoid rain then cancel any pre planned trip if the forecast is iffy? Presumably you don't do any long distance trips. Each to his own I suppose but I prefer to get the most out of Eric, rain or shine.

That's why Numbers were down for the 2007 International(No Smilies in on an iPad)

That's why Numbers were down for the 2007 International(No Smilies in on an iPad)

We was there! :)

Stuart.

I remember one IWE at Malvern when I cocked the dates up and ended up at a dog show. D'oh.

There were a few years when the preceding show was a dog related one.

Stuart.