Gearbox drain plug/filler plug

2 hours ago, lindatr4 said:

Looking to replace the drain plug on the gearbox with a magnetic type and a few questions have arisen.

Am I correct in that the threads need to be tapered? 

Is the drain plug and filler plug interchangeable?

I have found the cheapest plug to be this one

https://www.overdrive-repairs.co.uk/product/magnetic-oil-drain-plug/

That is the plug in my gearbox

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2024 at 9:49 AM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

That is the plug in my gearbox

Does your plug tighten down to the shoulder? I was half tempted to fit a washer of some description but then found it would not tighten fully because of the taper.

My magnetic gearbox drain plug is taper thread and has no sealing washer.  
The gearbox screw in fill and drain plugs have the same thread and are interchangeable 

The big brass plug that covers the filter and magnet in the overdrive has a fibre sealing washer.

9 hours ago, Lebro said:

Use ptfe tape on the taper threads.

Bob

Or Slic-tite ptfe paste.   That stops the chance of excess stray tape dropping into the gearbox.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/LA-CO-Slic-Tite-Heavy-Duty-Pipe-Thread-Compound-Sealant-with-PTFE---240ml/p/227184

12 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Or Slic-tite ptfe paste.   That stops the chance of excess stray tape dropping into the gearbox.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/LA-CO-Slic-Tite-Heavy-Duty-Pipe-Thread-Compound-Sealant-with-PTFE---240ml/p/227184

I prefer the liquid ones as its easier to apply a litte to the threads.

Stuart.

If a socket set with 1/2" drive is available, select a 19/32" socket and pack it with tissue onto the wrench, then use the 1/2"  square end of the socket  to remove/tighten the plug in the gearbox, sump, or axle.

Crude, but it works !

Ian Cornish

• 2 weeks later...

Too many of these get over tightened and need a hex welding on them to get them off (unless you have the square socket)

Personally I use prefer PTFE tape on the threads- helps the sealing as well as making it easier to remove next time. 

It needs to be tight enough but not gorilla tight. You simply don’t need the torque generated by a silver back hanging by one arm.

On 6/22/2024 at 3:34 PM, john weedon said:

Hi

Did you want the snapon socket if not Ian will have it

Regards

John

Thanks John, I will let Ian have it.

I use PTFE tape on any taper pipe thread

Bob

I know a lot of folk use a hex socket for these square drain plugs and I’ve searched in the past for a uk source for square 3/8 or 1/2 inch socket to fit various drain plug sizes but they seem almost unobtainable anyone have a UK source?

Andy

16 hours ago, PodOne said:

I know a lot of folk use a hex socket for these square drain plugs and I’ve searched in the past for a uk source for square 3/8 or 1/2 inch socket to fit various drain plug sizes but they seem almost unobtainable anyone have a UK source?

Andy

P1030667s.jpg.22ffa1f161dc128f377496ae55a5c448.jpg

^ Like this Andy.  Two 3/8" sockets back to back, drew their swords and shot each other.  

In this case the bolt had a chewed up thread and so the nut locks onto, but otherwise a tack of weld or strong loctite on its thread will do it.  The plug in the above happens to be for the the differential level/filler, which once the square post is cleaned up takes the same 3/8" drive as the gearbox plug. That locked up nut n' bolt 'adapter' is small enough to permanently live in the toolbox. Like Bob and others I use PTFE tape wrapped around the plug's tapered thread. 

Pete

Edited by Bfg
On 6/24/2024 at 8:10 AM, Andy Moltu said:

Too many of these get over tightened and need a hex welding on them to get them off (unless you have the square socket)

Personally I use prefer PTFE tape on the threads- helps the sealing as well as making it easier to remove next time. 

It needs to be tight enough but not gorilla tight. You simply don’t need the torque generated by a silver back hanging by one arm.

image.png.b7ea445a09d8208ac7c2451be92bbe9d.png

On 6/24/2024 at 8:10 AM, Andy Moltu said:

Don't take it personally John:angry:

Ingenious ideas gentlemen but given the zillions of drain plugs out there surely there’s a market for a proper sockets which grip the flats to stop folk rounding them off. I’m sure it would save a lot of skint knuckles and pain going forward!

Andy

There are spanners out there  ..I have several of different sizes .. which include drum brake adjusters, and well as the drain plugs.  They resemble a ring spanner but with 4-points (square holes) rather than 6 or 12 point.  perhaps search for those instead. Melco used to make similar but I seem to recall mine are vintage Gordon Tools

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186509837092?itmmeta=01J1B9TVZEYY13YAH91Y879NYW&hash=item2b6cda4324%3Ag%3AbIAAAOSwIhBmddN-&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA0OIu%2FTS4kikwuqEwI6HjK7uH%2BFdh39l0TMlr8z%2F3KDlc2hDYlD1x1aQqvgD%2BeKsgmKp8N66eSZVXZ5cmy7W1gTovjItyt4ljuvWf8zSpUx0WT%2FFUkyaS9xdlOVV5tIGVNbqZbNWSxBFRGZ0TudAoKe%2BQkQxcgqq7PiEfXbxcnhEs1pKgD2qZQMaa91P40rjzaIkinoBQH6228gaHirnVgxGJ8ZS0XfJrv7nrLHQm7n7dQZiyKAWByiCtZInOwJCzjdLZWYPx070ocFYrT362vuM%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR-q_6-mKZA&LH_ItemCondition=4

ORS Ltd do a socket headed magnetic drain plug. Rich