21 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

The MOT test exemption is not an exemption from the requirement to be roadworthy.

The exemption came in because the test requirements had become less relevant to our cars and the testers less aware of what was appropriate in terms of play/performance.

A once over by an experienced eye is probably good, a spotty kid with no knowledge is possible less so.

So wouldnt it be good to educate the "Spotty kid" at your local MOT station so that in future he will know and understand what he is looking at, after all we`re always complaining about dying arts.

Stuart.

That's fine if they're prepared to listen, but what do you do with the ones that decide your nylon steering column bushes don't provide the stability comparable to a modern roller bearing & fail it anyway even though it is acceptable for the period?

Jerry

35 minutes ago, jerrytr5 said:

...what do you do with the ones that decide your nylon steering column bushes don't provide the stability comparable to a modern roller bearing & fail it...

I wonder what happens legally in a case like that.

You will be issued with a failure notice, which will be there for everyone to see on the DVLA website.

I assume that if you continue driving it and the police stop you for any reason then they will know that the car has failed an MOT and never been re-presented with the “Failing” item fixed. This must indicate that the car, at the time of the MOT, was not roadworthy in the eyes of the examiner, and must still be deemed unroadworthy, as there is no proof otherwise (in the form of a PASS certificate.)

BUT..

You don’t actually need an MOT anyway and, as far as you are concerned, there is nothing wrong with the steering.

Do you get what I mean?

Charlie.

38 minutes ago, jerrytr5 said:

That's fine if they're prepared to listen, but what do you do with the ones that decide your nylon steering column bushes don't provide the stability comparable to a modern roller bearing & fail it anyway even though it is acceptable for the period?

Jerry

Then you can appeal or probably an easier option is go somewhere else. Failing on a nylon bush would mean all TR4/5/6 would fail then. Obviously avoid the Kwikfit/Halfrauds etc type of place.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

In cases like that it should be a pass and advise it’s not hard to apply common sense as I’ve mentioned before on the refresher courses we were told pass and advise if there was any confusion with the bible (mot testers manual ) HOWEVER that didn’t mean pass and advise something that is excessively worn or corroded because it’s a mates car !! I think we’ve all said get the vehicle annually motd or at the very least ask for a voluntary ramp inspection and roller brake test just be safe if you haven’t seen my post on the rear hub unit that failed the other week have a look at the picture if l hadn’t picked that up on a check over where might it had ended ?
Chris

3 hours ago, Charlie D said:

I wonder what happens legally in a case like that.

You will be issued with a failure notice, which will be there for everyone to see on the DVLA website.

I assume that if you continue driving it and the police stop you for any reason then they will know that the car has failed an MOT and never been re-presented with the “Failing” item fixed. This must indicate that the car, at the time of the MOT, was not roadworthy in the eyes of the examiner, and must still be deemed unroadworthy, as there is no proof otherwise (in the form of a PASS certificate.)

BUT..

You don’t actually need an MOT anyway and, as far as you are concerned, there is nothing wrong with the steering.

Do you get what I mean?

Charlie.

You seem confused Charlie.

There is no argument, once you submit your car for an MOT if it fails, …you are done. The fact it didn’t require one is moot, the car had been condemned as not being roadworthy, it failed it’s MOT, it cannot further be used until the failing component is reworked or replaced… only then will it pass the MOT.

Be prepared, if taken for an MOT it MUST pass the MOT or the vehicle must be taken off the road. It can only be driven for another MOT to another appointment to confirm the fault has been fixed. Of course even on the same day if another part has failed, or just worn enough on the appointment journeys to now be an MOT fail, and a Bobby finds out ! It will be “Dai book and pencil” time as the local Bobby (that many shared the same names their names had their trades attached to them, ie Jones the butcher) was known as in the South Wales of my childhood.

Of course the courts are well known for their application of common sense when confronted with an owner waving a sheave of 47 previous years MOTs. “ This must be an aberration” you’ll hear from the mouth of the journeyman JP. No case to answer !
Only in your dreams, if you must arrange a mutual check of cars with a buddy, at least then if you get charged with unroadworthy vehicle at a roadside stop it doesn’t cost you the £50 fee for nothing ! Also of course you can monitor wearing parts as the car is used throughout the year, hopefully never allowing your car to go below "roadworthy" condition.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Mick said:

"...It will be “Dai book and pencil” time as the local Bobby (that many shared the same names their names had their trades attached to them, ie Jones the butcher) was known as in the South Wales of my childhood…"

Thank you for your comments Mick.

I was once driving a rather battered London Taxi with Birmingham number plates and was stopped by a policeman on the outskirts of Port Talbot. It was obvious to him that I was a foreigner, gone to Wales to cause trouble. The policeman walked around the car shaking his head and mumbling to himself.

He finally asked to see my driving licence. His face changed from a frown to a broad smile.

“Haydn Davies… That’s a good welsh name. “

I explained that my dad came from the Rhymney valley.

His reply was:

“Ahhh… You should have said as soon as I stopped you. On your way boyo.”

Edited by Charlie D
1 hour ago, Charlie D said:

Mick said:

"...It will be “Dai book and pencil” time as the local Bobby (that many shared the same names their names had their trades attached to them, ie Jones the butcher) was known as in the South Wales of my childhood…"

Thank you for your comments Mick.

I was once driving a rather battered London Taxi with Birmingham number plates and was stopped by a policeman on the outskirts of Port Talbot. It was obvious to him that I was a foreigner, gone to Wales to cause trouble. The policeman walked around the car shaking his head and mumbling to himself.

He finally asked to see my driving licence. His face changed from a frown to a broad smile.

“Haydn Davies… That’s a good welsh name. “

I explained that my dad came from the Rhymney valley.

His reply was:

“Ahhh… You should have said as soon as I stopped you. On your way boyo.”

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mick Richards

8 hours ago, phil Dean said:

What are policemen ! I don't think we have them around here anymore. :huh: 

Oh they’ll find you don’t worry. 
they really concentrate on “crimes” where they can have instant resolution of a crime solved because of the unique identifier in the front and or back of the vehicle .

some of these “crimes” don’t even need the input of a police officer it’s so automated.

On 5/5/2024 at 4:23 PM, stuart said:

So wouldnt it be good to educate the "Spotty kid" at your local MOT station so that in future he will know and understand what he is looking at, after all we`re always complaining about dying arts.

Stuart.

We don't have a spotty kid.

He's got 2 TRs and some other Triumphs.

My Tr4a passed its MOT today. No adviserarys :D So for 1 day in 365 days its roadworthy. :D:DHe gave the car a good looking over I was in there for the best part of an hour!! and he  suggested a couple of things none MOT related which would help improve things. You have just got to find the right garage. His last words were it's a nice car now go and drive it and enjoy the weather.

Phil.

5 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

Are you implying  that Triumph ownership is a cure for pimples?

Charlie

19 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

The lads at mine, one has a 122s Volvo and the other has a 56 Chevy.

Stuart.

On 5/6/2024 at 11:49 AM, jerrytr5 said:

Jerry

or play in the front wheel bearings!

My tame garage 5 minutes away has done my MOT for years. He understands classics & knows there needs to be a little more tolerance with regard to TR wheel bearings, handbrake etc. I am very lucky to have someone who understands old cars & it is no real effort once a year to go & get a look over & second opinion. He also lets me wander underneath with the Waxoyl can!

4 hours ago, DRD said:

or play in the front wheel bearings!

Play in the front wheel bearings ! That’s the sign of a sloppy owner.
They are taper bearings , going to the MOT, 1/2 mile from the garage stop and nip them up ttttiiight. Then when it’s passed and you collect it 1/2 mile from garage …stop and set them as they should.

Every bodies happy and you have a nonsensical bit of paper in your hand that proves exactly what I said…the MoT only pertains to that “ moment in time”. 

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

I never tightened my wheel bearings and he gave the wheels a right good shake with no movement. Its the day after the MOT so the car is back in my garage just in case its no longer roadworthy :D:D

Phil.

3 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Play in the front wheel bearings ! That’s the sign of a sloppy owner.
They are taper bearings , going to the MOT, 1/2 mile from the garage stop and nip them up ttttiiight. Then when it’s passed and you collect it 1/2 mile from garage …stop and set them as they should.

Every bodies happy and you have a nonsensical bit of paper in your hand that proves exactly what I said…the MoT only pertains to that “ moment on time”. 

Mick Richards

:D:D:D

I’ve not had problems with MoTs but the tester has commented in the past about play in the rear wheel bearings on my TR3a. The first time he mentioned it I took the car away and diligently checked them with a dial gauge etc. They were bang on the money. 

Rgds Ian

Edited by Ian Vincent

In our area there are zero MoT centres that understand Classics full stop. They’re run by draconian little despots who will unilaterally fail a car if anything is inside the car in the day loose, a child seat in it, or a wiper is <50%, etc…

So where are these aforementioned knowledgeable MoT centres? How does one find them?

Edited by Steve-B
4 hours ago, Steve-B said:

In our area there are zero MoT centres that understand Classics full stop. They’re run by draconian little despots who will unilaterally fail a car if anything is inside the car in the day loose, a child seat in it, or a wiper is <50%, etc…

So where are these aforementioned knowledgeable MoT centres? How does one find them?

Where are you? I’m sure your local area group must know of a station that could do a sensible test.

Stuart.