Air compressor advice please

My little 25 litre compressor has just breathed its last breath. It was only used for very basis tasks, but now that I have to replace it wonder if I could have some advice please. Am currently doing a full rebuild on a TR5. All the final visible painting will be done professionally, but I am thinking about doing all the 'hidden' areas myself, including stone chip to the inside of outer wings, chassis etc.

Will a 100 litre, 14cfm, 145psi, 3hp, belt drive unit be sufficient ?

Look forward to any advice please.

Many thanks,

Tim

I would think that would be OK. My own is a Clarke Industrial from Machine Mart, 3hp, 50litre tank, 14cfm. Cost £450 ish pre Covid, but see it is now over £700 for the same one, yikes. I find that with the smaller tank it obviously switches on and off more frequently, but is quicker to fill the tank again. I did all the painting on my car using this compressor and it kept up with my spray gun well. On the limit when using air tools though, only short bursts possible, but when using impact wrench it is generaly short bursts anyway, but the DA sander drained it.

Ralph

2 hours ago, Tim T said:

My little 25 litre compressor has just breathed its last breath. It was only used for very basis tasks, but now that I have to replace it wonder if I could have some advice please. Am currently doing a full rebuild on a TR5. All the final visible painting will be done professionally, but I am thinking about doing all the 'hidden' areas myself, including stone chip to the inside of outer wings, chassis etc.

Will a 100 litre, 14cfm, 145psi, 3hp, belt drive unit be sufficient ?

Look forward to any advice please.

Many thanks,

Tim

Yes but 200ltr if you can, thats what I have and its great for everything, plus the larger tank means it runs less often.

Stuart.

I have a 200l tank one. Really worth it.

I bought mine from https://www.sgs-engineering.com/ and have bought several tools from them. Nice company to deal with.

If I were using mine every day then I would want a 100 or even 200 litre tank but since I only use mine intermittently now, the 50 litre tank is fine and takes less time to come up to pressure when I turn it on.

Rgds Ian

Rather than just coat underside of wings with stone-chip, I recommend that you fit under-arm - sorry, wing - protection.

You TR will last decades longer should you do so.

You can slap the stone-chip onto those.

Ian Cornish

Right I have digested all that! I will order from SGS as recommended, prices do seem very competitive. I would love to get a 200 litre unit or even a 150 but think that as this is my first attempt at spraying I will go for a 100 litre unit, and hope that I don't regret it.

Many thanks for all the very valid points.

Tim

Tim, if you have the room, go for the biggest one you can afford!

I have a much smaller one, 25litres, which is just adequate for my limited skills - but I do regret not going for the next size up

james

30 minutes ago, Tim T said:

Right I have digested all that! I will order from SGS as recommended, prices do seem very competitive. I would love to get a 200 litre unit or even a 150 but think that as this is my first attempt at spraying I will go for a 100 litre unit, and hope that I don't regret it.

Many thanks for all the very valid points.

Tim

No go for the bigger one else it`ll be running all the time.

Stuart.

16 minutes ago, stuart said:

No go for the bigger one else it`ll be running all the time.

Stuart.

+ 1. Really, go for the larger one. I used to have a small one but you need the umph even for spraying and just about everything else.

Edited by Richard Pope

If you are spraying, grit blasting, etc., also go for at least something like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/315161340010?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=EAIaIQobChMIuKPUpt_YhQMV_5lQBh2t5AmyEAQYBCABEgLdKPD_BwE

I found they work surprisingly well at removing moisture from the compressed air.

Edited by Richard Pope

Yes I got a 100l one from SGS, and whilst it's a good bit of kit, you will find it is running much of the time. With hindsight I would have gone for the bigger capacity :(

David

Many thanks everybody.

Just ordered the 150 litre from SGS!

Cheers,

Tim