12v cigarette lighter/USB/Speed

Are there any specific kits people have used for this? Guessing it is just live and earth with an inline fuse?
I’d like to fit a road angel pure just to monitor my speed accurately. As you may be aware we now have a blanket 20mph speed limit in Wales and when they can possibly book you at 22mph I know my speedo is not that accurate.

Thanks

Jason

55 minutes ago, Jase said:

Are there any specific kits people have used for this? Guessing it is just live and earth with an inline fuse?
I’d like to fit a road angel pure just to monitor my speed accurately. As you may be aware we now have a blanket 20mph speed limit in Wales and when they can possibly book you at 22mph I know my speedo is not that accurate.

Thanks

Jason

I fit one of these up under the dash for discreet power, with inline fuse 12v socket there are loads of different types with USB etc if you want to complicate matters!

Stuart.

I mounted a “cigar lighter” type socket inside the glovebox. It has its own inline fuse. I then put a dual USB adapter in the socket as that is my most common use, however I can still use any other similar accessory as needed. The reason I mounted it in the glovebox is I use the open glovebox door as a shelf to hold my phone (I have a suction cup style holder the sticks very well to the inside of the lacquered door). With the glovebox closed, everything is neatly tucked away.

But on to the more important question………the speed limit in Wales is 20 mph?!?!:o Hell, here in New Jersey you’d get arrested as a road obstruction doing 20! Although I must admit drivers in NJ are considered to be, shall we say, “aggressive” drivers.:angry::rolleyes:

Jim

8 hours ago, Tr4aJim said:

I mounted a “cigar lighter” type socket inside the glovebox. It has its own inline fuse. I then put a dual USB adapter in the socket as that is my most common use, however I can still use any other similar accessory as needed. The reason I mounted it in the glovebox is I use the open glovebox door as a shelf to hold my phone (I have a suction cup style holder the sticks very well to the inside of the lacquered door). With the glovebox closed, everything is neatly tucked away.

But on to the more important question………the speed limit in Wales is 20 mph?!?!:o Hell, here in New Jersey you’d get arrested as a road obstruction doing 20! Although I must admit drivers in NJ are considered to be, shall we say, “aggressive” drivers.:angry::rolleyes:

Jim

I like that idea with the glove box, may well look at this moving forward.

Probably best to say that it isn't the ideal way to endear yourself to the elctorate. We now seem to have a lot more agressive and dangerous driving unfortunately.

My delight when driving in Wales came when driving on the motorway……at 50 mph.   Both lanes blocked by traffic doing 49 to 51 mph.   The police car with siren and lights was refused progress along the road by all traffic.   Not a single vehicle moved to allow it to pass.  It resorted to weaving onto the hard shoulder to get further down to the road faster than the traffic.     Good to see the emergency services are not hindered by the territorial governments speed policy.

Similar deal in London.  If you are sat at a red traffic light and an emergency services vehicle on a shout comes  up behind you; you stay where you are blocking their progress.    You do not cross the stop line to allow it to pass, as the mayor of London’s cameras  will spot you and he will shove his hand in your pocket for not stopping at a red light.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Just a point Peter, if it's a Police vehicle that comes behind you and indicates you are to proceed through a red light you make a note of his reg number and the date and time of the incident. If a summons from a Traffic light camera is issued you'll need them to prove why you transgressed a red light. A Police officer is allowed to make a judgemental call on road conditions and if it's safe to allow or instruct traffic to go through lights at red, after all it's what they do when they direct traffic when they take over at junctions, if traffic lights are U/S for example. If it's Fire brigade or Ambulance there is no requirement or instructions to "jump" the red lights.

Standing orders for emergency vehicles is that they are to take care not to bully road users at traffic lights needlessly, by sitting behind them with Blues and siren on. Causing panic to road users is dangerous and of course can cause an accident. Their instructions to the public are " manoeuvre if possible and legal, to allow access for emergency vehicles, but leave it to the emergency drivers themselves to navigate around obstructions. 

There are multiple instances a year of fines and points on the licence being issued for drivers who drive through red lights.

Mick Richards

This happened to me last week.   Ambulance with Blues & Twos could be clearly heard approaching, so not just for the red light.  I was at the front and was the only driver to move forwards cautiously to let it though.   Although it was two cars behind me, no one else shifted.   Fortunately, the lights changed shortly and it 'proceeded'.   I had no qualms about being victimised by a traffic camera, as the Ambulance Service would have records of its vehicles' 'shouts', an d their urgency, as would the Fire Service.     That would be less likely for a Police vehicle, unless it had the Blues & Twos going and thus had been despatched on a recorded errand.     But noting down their car's reg. no. ( and no doubt the officers'  collar numbers!) might be stretch too far in that stressful and urgent situation!

There are other means of recourse too.   The County tried to fine me for using a bus lane.   It was on a roundabout and I had been forced into the bus lane by another driver on my right who wanted to use the single lane exit at the same time as I did.     They provided camera evidence of my offence, which also showed the lunatic on my right, but the County refused to acknowledge my account.    I appealed to the "Traffic Offence Ombudsman" ( Moving traffic offences - Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman ) who told the Council, in effect, that they were dunderheads and that I should never have been prosecuted!

JOhn

21 hours ago, Tr4aJim said:

I did the same on Katie,  although I've taken the timber facia and glove-box lid off.  A TomTom with 9" screen conveniently sits in the glove box upon a cloth, all the power lead coiled up behind it.  When parked I just put my woolly hat in the lid-less glove box to hide the TomTom away.  

P1420392s.JPG.b43f2b9708e9ac58e17fb8ba0ed70f48.JPG

Many (most?) sat navs will run off a USB port, and such can be linked to a USB 'bus' that will allow more than  one device to be run.   On my TRansit I have a satnav, a tyre pressure monitor and it charges my phone!

AND, you can find USB ports that include a Voltmeter, so you can monitor the battery health as well!  EG: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charge-Charger-Aluminum-Voltmeter-Motorcycle/dp/B07NV7579D/ref=asc_df_B07NV7579D/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=218223787868&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2633413064086687142&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006854&hvtargid=pla-876295655992&psc=1&mcid=48c554801da432809f8286305f86634a

John

12 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

My delight when driving in Wales came when driving on the motorway……at 50 mph.   Both lanes blocked by traffic doing 49 to 51 mph.   The police car with siren and lights was refused progress along the road by all traffic.   Not a single vehicle moved to allow it to pass.  It resorted to weaving onto the hard shoulder to get further down to the road faster than the traffic.     Good to see the emergency services are not hindered by the territorial governments speed policy.

Similar deal in London.  If you are sat at a red traffic light and an emergency services vehicle on a shout comes  up behind you; you stay where you are blocking their progress.    You do not cross the stop line to allow it to pass, as the mayor of London’s cameras  will spot you and he will shove his hand in your pocket for not stopping at a red light.

Shame we dont have the same traffic laws in this country as they do in Germany, Traffic is made to part to allow emergency services through and the Polizei take a very very dim view of flouting that law.

Stuart.

It’s the state law in NJ (and I believe in all other states as well) that you must move to the right as quickly as possible - as long as it is safe to do so - to allow emergency/police vehicles to pass (they are trained to pass on the left). It can get a little confusing on barrier divided highways, but seems to work out ok. Whoa to the driver who doesn’t allow a police car to pass!

Jim

Edited by Tr4aJim
5 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

Many (most?) sat navs will run off a USB port, and such can be linked to a USB 'bus' that will allow more than  one device to be run.   On my TRansit I have a satnav, a tyre pressure monitor and it charges my phone!

AND, you can find USB ports that include a Voltmeter, so you can monitor the battery health as well!  EG: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charge-Charger-Aluminum-Voltmeter-Motorcycle/dp/B07NV7579D/ref=asc_df_B07NV7579D/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=218223787868&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2633413064086687142&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006854&hvtargid=pla-876295655992&psc=1&mcid=48c554801da432809f8286305f86634a

John

+1 

Removed the old cigarette lighter fitting that PO had fitted and replaced with one of these. As most “ accessories “ are now charged via USB it seems the obvious choice. The voltmeter is a bonus and combined with original ammeter covers all aspects of battery condition and charging.

13 minutes ago, TR Rob said:

+1 

Removed the old cigarette lighter fitting that PO had fitted and replaced with one of these. As most “ accessories “ are now charged via USB it seems the obvious choice. The voltmeter is a bonus and combined with original ammeter covers all aspects of battery condition and charging.

Trusting you are running your car negative earth if you have a regular type of cigarette lighter power socket, or the accessory you plug in will fry.   Friend managed to wreck his sat nav in his Dart by doing just that.

Found the Amazon one £3.00 cheaper with postage included.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/156012265030?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20201210111451%26meid%3D6d4d3def856e4151a33046d7f8f943cc%26pid%3D101196%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D403045476698%26itm%3D156012265030%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D4429486%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithBBEV2bAndUBSourceDemotionWithUltimatelyBoughtOfCoviewV1%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p4429486.c101196.m2219&itmprp=cksum%3A1560122650306d4d3def856e4151a33046d7f8f943cc|enc%3AAQAJAAABkKAGZatwWrSFioKhyF05YYps7xtgOI2Vu0BqB4BERv%2FNTfrUNkP50TZAJfREiGj7R%2BA2x2E5zTqSs43jfR6uCcmt8%2B%2BTUdobg9SfOq%2BIqjUB6rte0SoPJ2CzU0H78OhfojLqUpUEm7Wu8%2BVr5RZ%2B1%2FpY4XyckFs1ilHYqethUi8jKCC8JoKXcMM9WLTGagX0c5NAM1NKckTKkXsxdOboXykCZK8FrASn7LY9SjUFr18%2ByySlt7gvLRAr4HVirbEn0YGBe0vMV6UcOTVewn7QYtKNzLbBu3XWsgYVUuJN0HBKq6V%2Bpd7Re%2BfAlUzdig%2FsJr6R6HVIDssMBeLzzAAl9cF%2BSwpZq%2BqH1zNDHhnw5L4%2B53SXPrBU5uKPzuemGteGGae9lELVE7%2BHK9i%2BIFW2Hd8pWYHvM4Yh8SHxCosz%2Fqq4nDrkfxP1bChGibQu%2FMOTZROlyf50dHHt%2F8t5nkOjdSNtq1tiO3cY3ME0P9kibMbAJY0Z2%2Bs1xlYTA12%2Fv1Wk%2BT98O%2FAPSpPT4QRCQ7S5fTw%3D|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A4429486&itmmeta=01HSRN3MK9X5ZPWNFER19G9RKE

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Yes, negative earth….dont use a Sat nav device, just plug iPhone in and use the mapping App.

Edited by TR Rob
Addition

1585081253_UnderdashLHS.jpg.d0d1d741af322f115a0f7f9f7bec905e.jpg 

I mounted a "cigar" socket under the dash on a simple bracket bolted to the lower dash support rail. 

Bob

12 hours ago, Lebro said:

1585081253_UnderdashLHS.jpg.d0d1d741af322f115a0f7f9f7bec905e.jpg 

I mounted a "cigar" socket under the dash on a simple bracket bolted to the lower dash support rail. 

Bob

Looks like the same type as I linked to at the start.

Stuart.

I have a cigarette lighter socket under the dash on my TR into which I can plug a USB socket. I have a tyre inflater that can plug into the cigarette lighter socket and a phone that can plug into the USB. Obviously could not plug both in at same time but unlikely to want to do that. Retaining the cigarette lighter socket allows me both options.

Keith

I have one that has two cigar outlets, and two USBs. You can have three outlets of each.

image.png.03968cc5479dd2bc7c16ee5b06dda7c8.png

Or, one that has FIVE  USBs!