A rare species lurking at Rimmer's

13 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

There was a metal plate welded to the body.   I do not remember where.     I think it was on the B post one side or under the bonnet near the bulkhead.

CP to CR.   Single rear outer panel change is the first  one I can think of to accommodate the number plate lamps, which wee on the bumper on earlier cars    CR would also have had the front lower valance pierced for fitting the spoiler.

Similar to this plate I expect. Also the wings would have different location holes for the bumpers.

Stuart.

Marko 057.jpg

Rimmers have reviewed the price, now £12,000 plus Vat

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID600273

Ian

I owned this car many years ago (2006) it had a CTM chassis, a replacement bodyshell and everything was either new or fully rebuilt. It was as close as you could get to a brand new TR6…..paid £9,500 for it! Wish I’d kept it!

P4190157.jpeg

Edited by simonjrwinter
  • 1 month later...

I assume that the uptake was not that good when originally made as 6s were plentiful and relatively cheap, but now the prices of TR6s has increased do you think they will ever re make the shells.

Ralph

2 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

I assume that the uptake was not that good when originally made as 6s were plentiful and relatively cheap, but now the prices of TR6s has increased do you think they will ever re make the shells.

Ralph

Doubtful as they "Lost" the tooling for most of it.

Stuart.

20 hours ago, stuart said:

Doubtful as they "Lost" the tooling for most of it.

Stuart.

That was careless of them.

Ralph

Likely never happen even if the tooling comes to light as the younger generation of classic car owners are more focused on 1980's offering so demand is going to go down.

Unfortunate but each generation to their own.

4 hours ago, PodOne said:

Likely never happen even if the tooling comes to light as the younger generation of classic car owners are more focused on 1980's offering so demand is going to go down.

Unfortunate but each generation to their own.

Tooling was scrapped years ago.

Stuart.

I spoke to someone at BMH in 2009 about the possibility of a Spitfire shell. It wouldn't happen he said, as there were some key sections where they didn't have the tooling and the car was still plentiful and cheap. The conversation strayed onto the BMH TR6 shell which hadn't long ended then. He said that likewise some of the tooling had been scrapped years before - my impression was that this was during Leyland or Austin-Rover days, not by BMH. In order to do the TR6 shells they had some "Rubber Tooling" made up which was far cheaper, gave acceptable results but had a limited life. A few hundred panels and the tooling deteriorates, and this had determined how many complete shells they had done.

Cheers, Richard

55 minutes ago, Spit_2.5PI said:

I spoke to someone at BMH in 2009 about the possibility of a Spitfire shell. It wouldn't happen he said, as there were some key sections where they didn't have the tooling and the car was still plentiful and cheap. The conversation strayed onto the BMH TR6 shell which hadn't long ended then. He said that likewise some of the tooling had been scrapped years before - my impression was that this was during Leyland or Austin-Rover days, not by BMH. In order to do the TR6 shells they had some "Rubber Tooling" made up which was far cheaper, gave acceptable results but had a limited life. A few hundred panels and the tooling deteriorates, and this had determined how many complete shells they had done.

Cheers, Richard

That is correct about the tooling BMH used.   A lot of parts were genuine old stock from Leyland, that no tooling existed for when the project was started, other parts were Cox & Buckles kirksite form tools run through a big rubber press, that press is now scrap, plus C&B drop hammer tooling, that was retooled.   
Heritage Pressings supplied a vast amount of odd brackets and fittings ( wiring loom tags, L brackets for trim boards etc)  for the TR 6 shell.   They closed down when BMH was homologated into one factory at Witney.   By that time they were in discussion with SteelCraft.  BMH were looking to move all their original factory production punch and die press tool sets from the North of England press facility to a more convenient press shop nearer Witney.    The rest as they say is history…..   Couple into this the work to secure and move the Classic Mini tooling, jigs and fixtures before some get rich quick merchant sold it all from Birmingham for scrap.  

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

"Couple into this the work to secure and move the Classic Mini tooling, jigs and fixtures before some get rich quick merchant sold it all from Birmingham for scrap. "

Hi Pete,

I'm unclear, does the above sentance mean the jigs and fixtures were protected ok ? or does it mean it was unsuccessful and some 

"get rich quick merchant sold it all from Birmingham for scrap." and it's all now been reconstituted intp picnic trays ?  .Heritage has form on this sort of vandalism

Mick Richards

Edited 1 hour ago by BlueTR3A-5EKT

30 minutes ago, multipletriumphsinner said:

Sounds like Chinns in Coventry?

No Adwest Engineering at Woolley, Did use Dowty for a few items but they had a greedy tooling ownership policy, that RR got really caught out by.