Am thinking of fitting a PRV to my TR6 from Prestige Injection. Have been told that it will improve the performance but can be a bit awkward to fit.

Has anyone done this? How difficult was it and did you notice a difference?

It shouldn't make any difference to performance at all. All it does is regulate fuel pressure as the original PRV did. Unless you're having problems with the PRV you have currently fitted, there's no advantage to changing it. 

Gareth

We converted my TR6 to one of these back in 2017, when converting from Lucas PI to EFI.  This meant we could adjust the fuel pressure (reduce in our case).  Great piece of kit, and no issues and tens of thousands miles covered. Should not have any detriment to performance, on the basis your original & existing PRV is in good order ?

Cheers.

If the pressure with the PRV is correct the alternative (Not sure you can claim uprated as the correct term) you will see no performance benefit.

The diaphragm PRVs are easier to adjust on the car without filling your boot with fuel and are less prone to resonance if that blights your car. Rather than the buzz of the pump you get a note like you are being followed by a low flying aircraft.

When I had PI on my 6 I added one of these to combat noises from resonance. Worked very well. 

Tim

When our whole fuel system was replaced last summer we added  a diaphram PRV at the same time we added a dedicated power feed+relay to our new fuel pump and the MU refurbishment. Sounds a bit different when you turn the key over but that's the only noticable change. There was no compelling reason why to replace the OEM one other than when you're in for a pence you're in for a pound...:P

Edited by Steve-B

I'm considering one of these, I've measured my pressure and it's significantly high. I'm sure the original PRV will be fine once adjusted, its the experimental technique involved in correcting it along with managing the spillage of fuel whilst doing so that's driving me towards the Prestige version. If I knew I could turn the screw a specific number of times and be on the money first time I may not be so inclined.

I have one, from Prestige ( now Totally Triumph).  Its' easy to fit and adjust, and works well.   It even has a blanking plug in it that I can connect another gauge to (I have an electric one next the M/u) while adjusting.

JOhn

18 hours ago, Macleesh said:

I'm considering one of these, I've measured my pressure and it's significantly high. I'm sure the original PRV will be fine once adjusted, its the experimental technique involved in correcting it along with managing the spillage of fuel whilst doing so that's driving me towards the Prestige version. If I knew I could turn the screw a specific number of times and be on the money first time I may not be so inclined.

With an original its only a very small amount of a turn of the screw that is needed otherwise the pressure goes right off.

Stuart.

3 hours ago, Macleesh said:

It was 116 PSI, felt significant to me as its well over the max but I'm sure others have seen worse?

For what it's worth, I set mine on the bench at 90 psi with compressed air. And it holds 90 psi  over a wide range of airflows.

Edited by Mike C
On 1/12/2024 at 9:49 PM, Mike C said:

For what it's worth, I set mine on the bench at 90 psi with compressed air. And it holds 90 psi  over a wide range of airflows.

I could do it that way, I have a compressor. Why 90PSI? That's too low isn't it, or are you compensating for the different medium? 

1 hour ago, Macleesh said:

I could do it that way, I have a compressor. Why 90PSI? That's too low isn't it, or are you compensating for the different medium? 

That was the setting when I first got the car 26 odd years ago.Everything worked perfectly at the time.  I prefer to test equipment with CA or water if possible and I needed a benchmark.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Michaeltr6 said:

I have one on my tr6, and noticed a big improvement 

Can you elaborate? What was wrong with the old one, the symptoms etc? 

Gareth