I am considering upgrading from a TR6 to a TR5.  The TR5 I have seen has a broken heater matrix.  I realise this is a pricey and complicated part to replace, but I would like to know if the broken heater matrix would have any implications on the engine block. 

If any members have any knowledge of this I would be most grateful for your thoughts  

Thank you.  

Geoffrey

What do you mean by 'broken" Geoff? 

Does it leak or is it just blocked and so inoperative ? 

Edited by RobH

My heater matrix started leaking , and as you say, its a horrible job to replace it. For a few years I ran the car with the heater supply and return lines connected. To do this  I disconnected the heater lines at the firewall escutcheon connector then joined them with a 1/2 inch copper U bend and heater hoses. It made no difference to the engine cooling- I guess it's the same as running the engine with the heater on anyway.

I finally replaced the core in 2022 because I was starting to use the car more in cold weather. And it was a horrible job.

Edited by Mike C

Hi Geoffrey, 

back to you original question.

No, the heater matrix should have no implications for the engine.

It is a difficult job fiddly rather than technical, and you certainly want at least £500 off the price of the car.

If you go ahead and buy the car, and then are doing the swop yourself, then I would consider one of the more modern ,

non original, (Well out of site once fitted) but less expensive and more efficient units such as this one from car builder solutions;-

5.2KW CAR HEATER KIT 278MM

Others on here have fitted items such as this, and I'm sure will be along to advise.

John.

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

Hi Geoffrey, 

back to you original question.

No, the heater matrix should have no implications for the engine.

It is a difficult job fiddly rather than technical, and you certainly want at least £500 off the price of the car.

If you go ahead and buy the car, and then are doing the swop yourself, then I would consider one of the more modern ,

non original, (Well out of site once fitted) but less expensive and more efficient units such as this one from car builder solutions;-

5.2KW CAR HEATER KIT 278MM

Others on here have fitted items such as this, and I'm sure will be along to advise.

John.

Hello John,

Thanks very much.   What I am worried about is (the car has not been used for a couple of years) is if the coolant fluid was left in the car while not used and now corroded the heater matrix,  it may also have corroded the engine and radiator.  

Thanks,

Geoffrey

8 hours ago, Mike C said:

My heater matrix started leaking , and as you say, its a horrible job to replace it. For a few years I ran the car with the heater supply and return lines connected. To do this  I disconnected the heater lines at the firewall escutcheon connector then joined them with a 1/2 inch copper U bend and heater hoses. It made no difference to the engine cooling- I guess it's the same as running the engine with the heater on anyway.

I finally replaced the core in 2022 because I was starting to use the car more in cold weather. And it was a horrible job.

Thank you.  I am concerned that the coolant fluid may have corroded the matrix (the car was not used for a couple of years) and may also have corroded the engine and radiator.   Leap of faith!

Geoffrey

understand your thinking and difficult to be definitive.

You could test the antifreeze content of the fluid in the system if there is antifreeze then corrosion is less likely 

If there is just water then you might look further and a starting point would be the radiator 

How far you wish to go is up to you and the seller, think for me if there is antifreeze in the system and it’s the car you want then I’d buy it.

Are you in the Register and do you attend your local group 

This is a classic case where that could be a great help for you, take a local who knows our cars- second pair of eyes etc.

John

TBH the engine (and heater) are hardly an issue compared to the body and chassis. If the body and chassis are good then maybe have a haggle for the fun of it. After all, how many hours will it take you to replace the heater? And how much to have the engine fully reconditioned? With the price of TR5s it's getting close to a drop in the ocean. A body resto though, that's a different story.

My 2¢ worth. And I can't afford a TR5 so I'm just jealous :D

Cheers,
JC

1 hour ago, GeoffreyS said:

Thank you.  I am concerned that the coolant fluid may have corroded the matrix (the car was not used for a couple of years) and may also have corroded the engine and radiator.   Leap of faith!

If the coolant wasn't changed  and the car sat idle for a few years there are probably pockets of corrosion in the radiator and heater core. Maybe in  the cast iron block but this is far more robust when it comes to resisting corrosion than the heater and radiator- except for the engine welch plugs.

Pressure testing will find most  leaks that are worth worrying about.

A poorly maintained TR5 is a rare find indeed, I assume the price will reflect its condition.

Not something i would give thought to as i have changed a few in my time, tricky but doable. as suggested its the rest of the car you might need to be more concerned about. I find that the original matrix properly cleaned  gives more than enough heat for my wife when we drive through the alps and snowy Pyrenees, and that's saying something! 

On 1/8/2024 at 11:43 PM, Mike C said:

Thank you. 

21 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Geoffrey

understand your thinking and difficult to be definitive.

You could test the antifreeze content of the fluid in the system if there is antifreeze then corrosion is less likely 

If there is just water then you might look further and a starting point would be the radiator 

How far you wish to go is up to you and the seller, think for me if there is antifreeze in the system and it’s the car you want then I’d buy it.

Are you in the Register and do you attend your local group 

This is a classic case where that could be a great help for you, take a local who knows our cars- second pair of eyes etc.

John

Hello John,

Thank you. 

20 hours ago, Mike C said:

If the coolant wasn't changed  and the car sat idle for a few years there are probably pockets of corrosion in the radiator and heater core. Maybe in  the cast iron block but this is far more robust when it comes to resisting corrosion than the heater and radiator- except for the engine welch plugs.

Pressure testing will find most  leaks that are worth worrying about.

A poorly maintained TR5 is a rare find indeed, I assume the price will reflect its condition.

21 hours ago, JohnC said:

TBH the engine (and heater) are hardly an issue compared to the body and chassis. If the body and chassis are good then maybe have a haggle for the fun of it. After all, how many hours will it take you to replace the heater? And how much to have the engine fully reconditioned? With the price of TR5s it's getting close to a drop in the ocean. A body resto though, that's a different story.

Cheers,
JC

21 hours ago, JohnC said:

Cheers,
JC

Thank you.  

Hi Geoffrey, if the matrix is leaking it might be worth trying some K-seal (a modern improvement on the Radweld concept); it worked on my TR6. This will cost £10-£12, and take around 30mins, rather than the expense  & hassle of changing the matrix: if it doesn't work, then start thinking about changing the matrix?

Cheers,

Paul.

3 hours ago, TR Paul said:

Hi Geoffrey, if the matrix is leaking it might be worth trying some K-seal (a modern improvement on the Radweld concept); it worked on my TR6. This will cost £10-£12, and take around 30mins, rather than the expense  & hassle of changing the matrix: if it doesn't work, then start thinking about changing the matrix?

Cheers,

Paul.

Just my opinion but if its leaking, its leaking and a waste of time your at best kicking the can down the track.

Best bite the bullet and sort it properly. Gooey fixes are fine for when you are miles away from home and you have no parts.

Just my thoughts!

Andy  

On 1/9/2024 at 8:28 AM, GeoffreyS said:

I think it is.  A great combination of beautiful body with 150bhp engine.  

TR's never had a 150BHP engine unless the car was supplied by SAH and paid the extra for the up grade.

Bruce.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2024 at 6:08 PM, PodOne said:

Just my opinion but if its leaking, its leaking and a waste of time your at best kicking the can down the track.

Best bite the bullet and sort it properly. Gooey fixes are fine for when you are miles away from home and you have no parts.

Just my thoughts!

Andy  

Thank you, Andy.  Good advice.