cable ties or locking wire for rubber gaiters

7 hours ago, RogerH said:

Imagine being a teenage apprentice in the late 60's and seeing these hi-Tech bits of string.  Wow - the possibilities.

Getting them out of the stores was like breaking into Fort Knox.

Roger

haha my apprenticeship was late 70s so they were in abundance great for stag do's tying people to lamp posts hahahah

On 12/18/2023 at 11:01 PM, dblenk said:

Getting them out of the stores was like breaking into Fort Knox.

I seem to remember getting anything out of stores was problematic.

" Stores is for storin' lad.  I can't let you 'ave that - what if someone needs it ...."

5 hours ago, RobH said:

I seem to remember getting anything out of stores was problematic.

" Stores is for storin' lad.  I can't let you 'ave that - what if someone needs it ...."

When I was an apprentice I remember the storman at Phillips telling me he had a certain part in stock that I needed but I couldn’t have it because it was the last one !

talking about cable ties I have ones of over a meter in length used in a ventilation system

Edited by Kiwifrog

Favourite request for new apprentices was  go to the stores and ask for a long weight or a bucket of sparks. When flicking my metal coiled ruler at the store man he said don't do that or you will be sorry, hence he caught it and promptly cut it in two with scissors. Serves me right but lesson learnt!.

Sorry off piste but love those stories.

Have a great Christmas one and all,

Cable ties got a certain member around SPA on his rear drop link to trailing arm. Unbelievable but true and it was on a track day. Got him home as well.

Regards Harry

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2023 at 8:18 PM, Kiwifrog said:

When I was an apprentice I remember the storman at Phillips telling me he had a certain part in stock that I needed but I couldn’t have it because it was the last one !

Old Army line... Quartermaster sergeant to young soldier: "Stores is for storin' lad. If they was meant for issuin' they'd be called Issues".

If the gaiter is used to retain grease, you need to use the metall tie straps as used in modern cars. They can only be used once and can only be removed by cutting them. If the gaiter is there for dust protection only, you can use those plastic black cable tie. 

When we moved to Holland some years ago my car went through a Dutch import inspection, the only thing I had to do was change the cable ties on the steering gaiters for metal ties.

George 

Edited by harlequin

If I use cable ties, I use long ones  & make 2 turns around the gaiter, positioning the join over the 1st turn. That way you have increased the pressure where the join is.

Bob

6 minutes ago, Lebro said:

If I use cable ties, I use long ones  & make 2 turns around the gaiter, positioning the join over the 1st turn. That way you have increased the pressure where the join is.

Bob

I like that, thanks for the tip Bob

George