Hi I'm new to tr ownership and am restoring a 1958 tr3 on the heritage certificate it says the colour is flame red iv only seen signal red on the colour charts?. The spare wheel is also body colour is this correct? finally the bonnet has 4vents not 2 and was original flame red when I stripped it back so I think it is the original bonnet any help would be appreciated as  I am not familiar with this model thanks brian

Hi Brian,

Welcome to TR ownership, you have come to the best place for help.

Is it a 3 or 3A, 3A production started in September 1957, commission and body numbers would help identification.   Flame red is not a standard colour but S-T often experimented with colours and would sometimes paint a car to the customer's wishes.  TR2/3  * wheels were in body colour and TR3A ones were silver grey.

The four slot bonnet would be from an earlyish TR2.  

Mike

Edited by mike ellis
*Delete 'spare' as all 2/3 wheels are body colour

Thanks Mike look like it's had checkered history. The vin is ts25111 and is a home market car would it be a crime to leave the four slot bonnet on it fits perfectly I have a good two slot bonnet but the fits now were near as good. Great to work on a British car again last2 rests were a lancia spider and alpine g.t.a

Maybe a purist would object but those of us who are more pragmatic would probably leave it.  Having said that the four slot bonnet was discontinued at the same time that the scuttle vent was added, the reason possibly being that the two centre slots would direct under bonnet air directly into the vent when open.  I don't know how significant this could be. 

Early 4 slot bonnets are wider as the do not have to clear wing beading. The rear is also single skin. I am sure if you put out a request that someone would have a reasonable late one in the shed for a small fee. You would get more for a good condition early bonnet. 

Edited by Keith Wigglesworth

Hi Bob funny you should say that it has the 2holes for the druz fixings but the holes are slightly smaller and not big enough to take the chrome outer ring so I will need to adapt the holes . Inside is the same as tr3 as I said it's such a sweet fit on the car that I'm tempted to keep it and I quite like the 4vents

1 hour ago, Brian birchall said:

Hi Bob funny you should say that it has the 2holes for the druz fixings but the holes are slightly smaller and not big enough to take the chrome outer ring so I will need to adapt the holes . Inside is the same as tr3 as I said it's such a sweet fit on the car that I'm tempted to keep it and I quite like the 4vents

Any evidence of there being internal bonnet fasteners in the past (on the bonnet I mean)

Like this:

1750103669_TR2bonnet.jpg.546887214776081183330b7af975883f.jpg

Yes Bob they have been cut of and I presume holes drilled the previous owner told me it was on the car when they bought the car in 1978 they replaced it with the tr3 bonnet that was on it when I bought it last year. He restored the car drove to Madrid and back and was laid up in 1982 and that's were it stayed untill I bought the car registration is VUK 828. Cheers brian

The dzus fastener holes on a later bonnet were recessed downwards so that the top of the fastener was level with the surrounding metal, I presume yours are raised, which means the brackets they connect to are also raised higher than normal.

Bob

Hi Brian

As Mike referenced above, the centre two vents were deleted when the scuttle vent was fitted, (this was circa 2000 cars after the internal bonnet release was deleted) so the dzus fasteners on a 4 vent bonnet are not unheard of.

I understand the centre vents were removed due to engine fumes entering the cockpit, this would be more noticeable when the hood or hardtop were fitted.

Andrew

On 12/13/2023 at 12:01 AM, Keith Wigglesworth said:

Early 4 slot bonnets are wider as the do not have to clear wing beading. The rear is also single skin. I am sure if you put out a request that someone would have a reasonable late one in the shed for a small fee. You would get more for a good condition early bonnet. 

You are right. I just measured my long door TR2 4slot bonnet against the later TR2 and TR3 which have 2 slot bonnets. 4 slot is 180cm, 2 slot is 173cm.

25 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Agreed.   We have 3 different types in our stores,  not including non Dzus or aluminium.

Ha ha yes I didnt include aluminium in the 4 often quoted as theyre so rare these days.

Stuart.