On-going cut-out problem 2

Hi All

I can understand why some you you might feel frustrated with offering additional (or repeated) information to what you have provided earlier. But I do feel that I have tried most of what was advised (apart from condenser/points and testing for spark at point of failure). The reason for not trying these was simply my ignorance on how to go about this, even accepting the guidance being offered. I will now buy a spark tester as advised by Mick.

Oh and I live Hayes in south London (not the much larger Hayes in north west London).

Have a nice weekend all

Best Wishes

Ernest

@ErnestYou might want to visit with the London TR group who I noticed are not that far (roughly speaking) to you. I've found our local group mega helpful and fun.

London group: https://www.tr-register.co.uk/group/london

1 hour ago, Ernest said:

Hi All

I can understand why some you you might feel frustrated with offering additional (or repeated) information to what you have provided earlier. But I do feel that I have tried most of what was advised (apart from condenser/points and testing for spark at point of failure). The reason for not trying these was simply my ignorance on how to go about this, even accepting the guidance being offered. I will now buy a spark tester as advised by Mick.

Oh and I live Hayes in south London (not the much larger Hayes in north west London).

Have a nice weekend all

Best Wishes

Ernest

Don't worry we understand.. Trouble is that, by its nature, this forum has a lot of very experienced folk. We tend to get frustrated when a TR is not running well allowing the owner to enjoy it. Some of that frustration is down to us not being able to imediately come to you and have a fiddle :-)

Tim

Hello Ernest,

Most other posters have concentrated on ignition faults. I had a Lumenition electronic ignition fitted for 40 years and never had a problem with it. I bought it second hand.

You haven't said in this current post if the car is a PI or carbureted model. BarkerWilliams in the second post has given good suggestions. Assuming the car is a PI when the engine cuts out can you still hear the HP pump running at the rear of the car? If not then the problem may well be an intermittent fault in the fuel pump supply. The moment the pump stops the engine will stop just as quickly as an ignition fault. In view of it happening after only a short distance driven I wouldn't think its due to fuel pump overheating issues.

If that turns out to be the problem then check the pump electrical supply. If you have the old style fuel cut off switch (vertical grey cylinder near the wiper motor) then I'd start with that, they can corrode pretty badly internally. Just disconnect it and by pass it with a jumper wire as test. Beyond that check the wiring connections right back to the pump and relay/fuses if fitted. I say this because I had a similar intermittent sudden cut out albeit with a just a sudden restart. It turned out to be a looses bullet connector in the fuel pump supply in the boot.

Ian

PS I went to school in Hayes Lane - Bromley Grammar, as was

Hi

if it is the cutoff (inertia ) switch that is faulty, as mine was, I obtained a modern one from ebay, eg as per link below.

Make sure you get one with a plug and wires included. By cutting off the lugs on the switch body, it can be held in the original clip, retained by a small cable tie around the front lugs of the clip.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386244850594?

In my view, these modern switches should be more reliable than the original 50 + year old design, they certainly are fitted to millions of moderns, not commonly known as a problematic device.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mleadbeater
additional details
9 hours ago, Ernest said:

Hi All

Have a nice weekend all

Best Wishes

Ernest

8 hours ago, Steve-B said:

@ErnestYou might want to visit with the London TR group who I noticed are not that far (roughly speaking) to you. I've found our local group mega helpful and fun.

London group: https://www.tr-register.co.uk/group/london

Marked on the attached map are the two locations of the two places called Hayes, the two red dots are the approx locations of meeting places *pubs) of The London T R Group. As you can see they are on opposite sides of our Capital City which is like trying to swim the channel it’s probably quicker to get to Dubai.:ph34r:

IMG_3292.jpeg

Can I thank you all for your patience and indeed forbearance - I have quite a bit to sift through now - and to check out on the car.

I have thought about going along to a London group activity (Marks B included me in his group-related e.mails) but the most route to one of their meeting place doe involve a drive through much to south London so not good tr-ing  terrain.

FYI I will get back to you when/if I do manage to identify the cause of the cut-out

Thanks again all and have a lovely weekend!

Ernest

• 1 month later...

Up-date

Hi all 

just to up-date on my cutting out problem - Car came back from Rees Bros on Friday and it seems that the cutting out problem was due to old electronic

ignition system (Lumination) failure. New Petronix (sp) system now fitted so hopefully good to go for 2024!

Thanks again or all of the advice offerred in this thread.

Best Wishes

Ernest

Hi Ernest, best wishes and fingers crossed for your motoring happiness!

19 minutes ago, Z320 said:

If it’s a „Ignitor I“ keep attention not to have the ignition on wile the engine is not running.

Ciao, Marco 

Who on earth will be installing an  Ignitor 1 in the 2024?

10 minutes ago, Casar66 said:

They still sell it, so Marco's warning is perfectly reasonable.  Not everyone knows about it. 

Edited by RobH
33 minutes ago, Casar66 said:

All the cheap ones, and they are still very popular, are copies of Ignitor I and suffer from this issue

Ok, did not know that it is still available (not the the cheap copies but the original typ 1). But would never expect that a recommended work shop will use it.

10 minutes ago, Ernest said:

Well, I don't know what an 'ignitor' is

'Ignitor ' is the trade name Pertronix use for their ignition systems Ernest. They sell three models of it, in order of complexity and cost - Ignitor, Ignitor ii and Ignitor iii

https://pertronixeurope.com/ignitors.php

17 minutes ago, Ernest said:

Well, I don't know what an 'ignitor' is but it sounds as if without it the electronic system won't work

So thanks very much for the advice Marco.

Ernest

Pertronix is the producer with a number of products,

„Ignitor I“ and „Ignitor II“ are products from Pertronix, ask your repair shop which has been fitted

Edited by Z320
3 hours ago, Z320 said:

All the cheap ones, and they are still very popular, are copies of Ignitor I and suffer from this issue

Think this is a bit of broad generalisation. I've been running the "cheap" ones in all my classics. Some of which have done a lot of miles. Some of which are left on a lot when I am working on them. The only failure I have had is when I broke it. Don't ask...

Tim

1 hour ago, Mike C said:

I fitted an original Pertronix Igniter back in Oct 2006, I've never had any problem with it.

Likewise. Jan 2006. What is now known as an Ignitor 1. I still carry a spare set of points etc in the glovebox but never had to use it in 18yrs. I have always tried to heed the warning to not leave the ignition on with the engine not running, but not religiously.

My Powerspark failed because I was careless.

If the producer doesn’t promise you different,

you better treat this units like they are not safe for continuous current.

Ciao, Marco 

Thanks for updating the thread Ernest, it's always good to know the conclusion of an issue. 

I use the Pertronx ignitor 1 on my '6, whilst I give the pump a few moments to prime, I'm conscious not to let the ignitor sit there for ages with the ignition on and the engine being stationary. 

Gareth