TR4A/TR6 wiper motor conversion - looking for the correct dash switch to use

7 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Pete,

could be difficult and look tatty

Roger

Humbug.   A proper engineer’s  solution.

here is my spare arm and wheel box with described modification and salvage scheme 

IMG_5388.jpeg

IMG_5387.jpeg

IMG_5386.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Thanks Roger. I’m planning on using the 4A W/B as it’s such a pain to get to them with everything in place. I’m getting a 90 degree drive gear from SVC.
I haven’t had a chance to work on the car yet. I’m planning on pulling the wiper motor next week, so I’ll take a look at the switch then.

Jim

Edited by Tr4aJim
  • 2 weeks later...

Folks, while pulling out the 4A wiper motor, I noticed that the wiper drive cable moved rather stiffly. I was able to remove it, but it looked in good condition. I then noticed that the first guide tube appeared to have a bend in it, so I removed it for inspection. It actually had several bends in it. I was unable to find any pictures of how this first tube is supposed to look. Are the bends in mine correct, or has it been mangled over the years?

thanks

Jim

IMG_1997.jpeg

IMG_1996.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been following this post with interest. Wipers on my 4A are not the best. The wheel box on the drivers side is loose and its not the nut on the outside the assembly moves about when the wipers are on. Am I right in thinking you remove the vent tube from the heater that sends air to the windscreen and there is a inspection hatch which once unscrewed you can get at the nuts to tighten the wheel box up.

Whilst looking at the wipers I found a wire cut of which is in the wiper motor harness. Both this and another wire which is connected to the wiper motor are red and green there is also a green wire connected to the wiper motor. only the green wire which goes the fuse ties up with the wiring diagram. I presume the red and green wire goes to the switch (shown on the wiring diagram as Black and Green ) If you switch the wipers on to position one they work slowly!!! pull the knob again and they stop. The loose Green and red wire has power to it as soon as you switch the ignition on and stays on not effected by the position of the wiper switch. Could it be I have wiring for a two speed wiper system  but only a single speed wiper motor.

Phil.

wiper motor and wires.jpeg

Hi Phil

from your photo it ,looks like you have Green  and Green/Brown connected.  The Green/Red is not connected.

The back of the motor looks like the single speed.

Both the single and 2 speed motor are, in my opinion,  quite useless.

If you consider  getting a replacement  go for the TR6 14W motor.

Roger 

Agreed.   The three wire colours you have do look to correspond with the wiring for a 4A ( green/black is used on the earlier models only ).  It does look like a single speed motor.

You should have this:  

wps.jpg.953679d72234a371c077e92fcf50f2d0.jpg

For the two-speed motor the switch should do this :

OFF - neither F or S to earth

SLOW -  both F and S to earth

FAST - only F to earth 

The permanent feed to the green wire is necessary for the self-parking function of the motor.  

Edited by RobH

Thanks as usual for your replies. I haven't got my head up behind the dash to look at the switch yet but it sounds like I have a two speed switch and single speed motor.

As usual Rob I will cut and paste your diagram.

Wheres the best place to find a TR6 motor is it a Moss job or do they come up on the forum.

Phil 

If you fit the TR6 motor don't forget you will need the appropriate wiper switch Phil, as discussed in the first page of this thread. Roger's way of modifying your existing pull-switch is probably favourite. (see his post of Nov 29th)

Phil, I bought a reconditioned TR6 wiper motor on eBay (US). I’m sure there are similar on eBay UK.

I’m in the process of making a mounting plate for the TR6 motor out of 11 gauge aluminum plate (or is it aluminium?:rolleyes:), that will mount to the stock 4A plate.

Once I have the wiring figured out (with extensive help from Roger), I will post a diagram. Note that my 4A had a 2 speed motor.

Jim

Lol - I got the template from Dave!!! I almost have mine completed, and I’ll post a picture.

BTW - Dave used the combo wiper/washer switch from a 73 and later TR6 (the black round switch I mentioned earlier in this thread). However Dave has a custom wire loom in his car from Advance Auto Wire, so I couldn’t use his wiring config.

Jim

ps - go to Dave’s YouTube channel and check out the playlist of his 6,400 mile road trip around the state parks in the US northwest (“Nothing is far in a TR”). His TR4A ran flawlessly, and the upgraded wipers came in very handy.

Jim

O dear well we all know how this one goes. I was let of Grandad duties for the morning So I started tightening the nut on the outside of the wiper box and it just kept tightening the whole thing still  was still loose. Eventually removed the air screen vent took of the inspect hatch and managed to get my fingers on the scuttle side of the wheel box the nylon bush has disappeared so it looks like the wheel box will have to come out, whats more worrying is I cannot get the wiper arm of yes I know they can be a pig but looking closely at the knurled nut it looks like somebody has rapped  a small piece of lead or some other soft material  between the knurled nut on the W/B and the wiper arm. 

I think this is going to require the dremel,  this bodge will have been done for a reason which means I probably will have to replace the Wheel box. I have seen mention about no difference between the 4A or 6 wheel boxes. So if buying which would be the best! Also I have maybe sourced a wiper motor but will require a 90 degree wheel do I take this from my existing  wiper motor. OR I have seen mention of a company called svc. WHO ARE THEY. 

What's the best wiper arms to go for I have looked on the Moss website and there seems to be several choices !!!

RobH I haven't as yet taken the wiper switch out but wonder why do I have to change/ modify the switch  if this car had twin speed wipers when new and looks like the wiring and switch  suggests this.

Phil.

Hi Phil,

the TR4/4A wheel box IS different to the TR6.  I think the TR4/4A is slightly bigger

37H6316 for the 4A  and    37H7738 for the TR6    The TR5 has the same as the TR4A.

I got my TEX wipers from TRGB - they have the wedge lock to hold them in place.

The original two speed 4A switch should operate the two speed motor - that was its job.

Roger

Phil - I was led to believe that aTR6 14W wiper motor with a 105 degree cog was just right for a TR4A installation with the original 4A wiper boxes

Lots of Clsssic Bits near Stansted sell good quality wheel boxes for our TRs but they do cost - often on ebay

cheers Rich