TR4A/TR6 wiper motor conversion - looking for the correct dash switch to use

Brilliant thank you Roger - switch checks out according to your pin checks and so now buttoned up and we move onto to some eclectrickery (not my strong point).

I captured two images - don't know who the originator is so unfortunately can't give due credit. The colour coding is helpful but on the important diagram, the pin connection to the motor is not shown.  To try and clarify my understanding derived from all this information, I sketched my own diagram for general comment.

questions a) where would be the best source for the Green 12v wire, required for the Auto Park at #3/4 on the motor

b) is my interpretation that the Red/Green and Brown/Green wires existing at both switch and motor are retained and re-connected as shown 

c)  I assume plain blue 16g wire is OK instead of the Green/Blue.

1134403308_TR4AwiperswitchwiringmodsforconversiontoTR6wipermotor.jpeg.197dc2d54627343cdf4dfeb40f97db0c.jpeg468219350_TR614wwipermotorpins.ParkwouldlikelybeOFFatswitch.png.56b6b97f3237ad2d7705c5658ecb4531.png308413622_TR6wipermotorto4Aschematic.jpg.2b4eca315380d5de078e825dc5906a2f.jpg

Hi Alf,

that diagram looks very good.

The green can come from any Ignition switched supply (green)  There should be a green wire where the original motor was.

Green/Red and Green/Blue  is retained as you have shown.

As long as you know what the Blue wire is for then use it.

The #1 & #7 pins on the switch could have some heat shrink sleeve or tape on the them to make them safe.

That is a very fancy connector block you have next to the motor.

Roger

Alf, on my LHD 4A,  picked up the switched power (green wire) under the dash in the right side footwell. Near the top of the heater box I found three green wires “spliced” together by one of those 4-way connectors. I ran a new green wire from the the 4th position in that connector, down to pin 4 on the modified wiper switch.

Jim

Many thanks Roger but a small clarification please -   I assume you meant Brown/Green not the Blue/Green is retained.  

In this regard, I would like to use the Green/ Blue code for the new wire required but have not found a source yet. I plan to order a pigtail kit from the UK so maybe someone will have the Green/Blue wire, otherwise blue it is.

Those connectors are waterproof so quite useful and readily available but can be a bit fiddley to assemble.  I use them for wipers, electric fan, etc,, but for this upgrade it may not be necessary as the TR6 motor has a removable plug - still I'll look at that later.

Also, thanks Jim. I'll search around for that green "splice." It would be nice if something like exists - did you fuse the green supply to the switch? As the default is always seems that the ignition switch gets used, but that is now a bit crowded with the radio, and I still need a source for USB outlet, and cigarette 12v power.  I wonder if the TR6 4-way fuse block can be bolt directly to the TR4A 2-way block A n option to expand.

I'm getting there slowly - hope to show evidence soon.

Cheers,

Alf

Alf, I did not install a separate fuse for the wiper motor as I saw that the TR6 did not use one for that motor. However, when I added a “cigarette lighter” socket to the inside of the glovebox (primarily to plug in a USB adapter), I ran a separately fused white wire off the fuse box for it (I did the same for the electric fuel pump in my car).  I don’t have a radio in my car, as I use my phone and a Bluetooth speaker. 

+1 Bob, I also sourced my striped wires from eBay (US). I contacted one of the suppliers, and even though they were advertising only 15 foot lengths, they said they could supply any length I needed. 

Jim

Thanks Bob and Jim, I will look into the Ebay offerings. I did check Amazon, but wasn't aware of these you provided the link for, as I have never dealt with Ebay - always think it is an auction site and I hate bidding on stuff :unsure:

Cheers

Alf, this is the eBay (US) shop where I purchased my wire. They have a wide range of colors/stripes. Though a lot of their listings say 25 feet or more, I messaged them, and asked for 5 feet for some of the runs. They said sure and adjusted the prices accordingly.

https://www.ebay.com/str/4rcustoms

Jim

Thanks Roger it might be that I will have to take you up on that offer so much appreciated, but I must not roll over just yet without one more try (I found a possibility with <Sherco-auto.com> though I suspect it could turn out to be an order-quantity issue.  So, your "week or so" fits my situation well Roger.

Thanks Jim, I tried your link but could not find Blue/Green - appreciate the thought.

I should add that I can't use plain Blue as the PO in his wisdom added a mechanical/hydraulic brake light switch to work with the stock electrical plunger (he was safety conscious and a little concerned about the slow reaction of the electrical switch) so I have redundancy now :unsure:. The wiring diagram notes that wire to the brake lights is Green/Purple, so maybe my green/Maybe grey was once purple here. The strange one is I have another Green wire with a connector that was appropriately isolated and tie-wrapped in the corner.  My hope is that I can use this Green to feed pin 4 on the switch.

I'll do some probing and continuity checks to see what it's all about when the weather isn't too demanding on my little heater to warm the garage.

At least I finished the mechanical mounting of the motor - next is to rebuild the motor with the 90 deg gear wheel and bench test

Again, thanks for the input - much appreciated.

Cheers, Alf

IMG_2390.jpg.76397a43a91e8264cee6bd56eed96657.jpgIMG_2391.jpg.35487865aa616dc6fdad241a7b49599d.jpg

• 1 month later...

A follow up regarding wire supply and thanks to Roger and Jim for offers to help. I eventually received the Blue/Green wire from Sherco, but was disappointed, as the green tracer colour is a spiral and difficult to identify. I then ordered from Autosparks and ordered two types as I wasn't sure about the difference, and which might be appropriate for this application.

Hence my question here as I am not familiar with the Autosparks wire designations relative to what I recognize as say 16g which would be used here.

Sherco wire diameter > 3.25mm - supposedly 16g

Autosparks PVC dia > 2.35mm and referred to as 8.75A 14/0.30 CSA

Autosparks Thin wall > 1.70mm, referenced 14A 24/0.20

Can you help with understanding the designations please. Presently I am leaning towards using the Autosparks PVC wire

C1271019084_Wirecomp-shercospiraltracerAutosparksconventional.jpg.d7aec4907ff106e7cc51b754f8af0f48.jpg533564381_Wirecomp-copperstrandsShercoleftAutosparkstwoatright.jpg.0ad88cff6695e14005ae9d746273927c.jpg

Cheers

wire comp-Sherco right, Auto sparks PVC ctr and thinwall left.jpg

The european method is to rate cable by its cross-section of conductor rather than AWG equivalent size. It tells you how many strands there are and what diameter.

14/0.30 means 14 strands of 0.3mm diameter each,  and overall 1.0mm^2 cross sectional area of copper, rated at 8.75 Amps maximum continuous current. 

Table:

https://issuu.com/la-distribution/docs/automotive_cable

Edited by RobH