TR2 RHD: Which are the correct places for gauges/instruments, switches?

Be VERY careful how you handle it.  It is extremely easy to break the capillary tube which most likely will have work-hardened  - don't twist it or bend it sharply. Personally I would leave it alone. 

The dials on my '3A are arranged as per the service instruction manual. 

12 hours ago, tr2_applegreen said:

So, "pulling" is not an option?

What is the Revington adapter for?

It could take a day or two to complete the job.   Do not get aggressive or it will break the bulb or the tube.

Soaking in something like the de scaler for kettles and coffee makers may help to eat the corrosion away.   After that soak with a penetrating oil like Kroil.    rinse and repeat…….

https://www.powertoolsdirect.com/kilrock-big-k-multi-purpose-descaler-400ml-5-dose-bottle?msclkid=c9591c5730f117b445957906d9500e86&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PMax%3A Google Shopping Smart&utm_term=4586612760171927&utm_content=Customer List

https://www.kroil.com/

To man with no name!

The layout for a RHD car, as per the original workshop manual

Small dials panel: top left is fuel, bottom left is amps, top right is oil, bottom right is temp. Speedo nearest small dials and tach to the far right.

From The TRA judging guide for LHD cars : far left is speedo then tach. Small dials are :top left oil, bottom left temp, top right fuel, bottom right amps.

Things changed for TR3 around the TS10000 apparently!

One also has to be very careful in understanding from which side of the dashboard i.e front or rear, the diagram is trying to confuse you from!

I actually know nothing of any of this, just what I read!

Cheers

Roger M-E

There seem to be 2 subjects in this thread!

For the temperature capillary sensor question, I have had good results in removing the housing and inverting it and then soaking the whole for two or three days in best 6° red wine vinegar.

james

For the gauge question: it’s more important to be able to see the oil pressure and temperature gauges, thus they are always closer to the driver for lhd and rhd.

Thank you all! I managed to get it out, with some mixed spray (intended for my coffee machine), and some rust cracker spray.

Gauge orientation is now clear to me, and makes sense ans you both @roger murray-evans and @james christie say: The more "urgent" ones on the driver side.

Next challenge:

The "frosted glas" around the gauges seems to be taped with a transparent piece of tape. However, it turned brownish after those years.

How easily can I recondition this frosted glas?

IMG_2361.jpeg

IMG_2357.jpeg

Edited by tr2_applegreen

I have refurbished a number of these gauges. The plastic Stuart refers to usualy does not age well, it tends to shrink, go brittle, & as you have noticed goes frosty.

I replace it with plastic cut from the clear packaging most non food items seem to come in these days. The plastic is usualy welded round the edge to keep the contents (small tools etc.) In place. Cuts easily with scissors, & there is usualy enough flat aea to do the job.

Be very careful taking the gauges apart though, they can easily be damaged, especially the fuel gauge.

Bob

Edited by Lebro
6 hours ago, tr2_applegreen said:

this is awesome! I might contact you for one, if i manage the get the sensor out.

Stupid question: I guess it does not make a difference, that with the adapter the sensor sits 1,5cm less deep in the housing?

I have one, and my temperature gauge works fine.

Rgds Ian

Others seem certain about the gauge position but that’s not how it is shown in the service manual wiring manual page 32 figure 34

Roy

Edited by roy53
2 hours ago, tr2_applegreen said:

A question about reassembling the oil gauge: Does the oil line or the gauge itself needs to be vented (meaning: getting the air out)?

If yes, how to do it best?

No, it does not need bleeding at all. Pressure is pressure whether it is in oil or air. Difference between the braking system & the oil gauge is the the oil for the gauge just keeps on coming till the whole pipe (which could be half full of air), is at the end pressure.

Bob

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

No, it does not need bleeding at all. Pressure is pressure whether it is in oil or air. Difference between the braking system & the oil gauge is the the oil for the gauge just keeps on coming till the whole pipe (which could be half full of air), is at the end pressure.

Bob

Bob is correct, but if you are fussy, crack open the connection at the gauge end with the engine running until the oil starts to drip out, at which point you have expelled all the air.

Rgds Ian