Mathewsons TR4a

Does anyone know the Wedgewood blue TR4a that’s been in the last two auctions at Mathewsons? I think the car came from Chester area from a guy who also had a 6 and quite a few classic bikes.

I’m half interested in it but it’s 4.5hrs from me, it needs to be right to justify the trip. 

Depending on the price it could be a great entry level tourer TR 

unless you have a significantly important historical car many of us make changes. 
how many times do we tell people it’s your car do what you want. 

looks like I’d have to pay someone to take mine away !!!

Maybe it is a converted LHD from the USA ? Bit of a bodge on the bulkhead where steering column would have been, also first registered in 1987 mentioned. I would ask if there is a Heritage certificate included in the documentation. Also says 2498cc, amazing for a 4 pot or a typo or confused with a TR5.

RobG

It was definitely a USA car, bit grubby and lots of things could be improved but it depends on the price. Quite probably a solid axle car too. (Bonus in my eyes ;))

Stuart.

if it's been in the last 2 you must have a guide on the not acceptable price.

if dry state car then a good basis to work on depending on the price ?

Roy

15 hours ago, AJ2014 said:

Interesting theyre claiming original green logbook with it and further down the ad not exported. Also that its 2498cc!

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
43 minutes ago, Lebro said:

2.4 ltr must be a mistake.  "C" reg (1965) would make it a TR4 surely ? but handbrake is on the tunnel.

Bob

No Bob 4a came out in 65, mine is a C reg although obviously an import thats its original build date.

Stuart.

IMG_4695.jpg.62b07e3173f5a4b08bf4a0dc2cd3b1ec.jpg

Hi

The DVLA chassis number indicates a 1967 build IRS RHD Overdrive car, the recorded engine number would suggest it's the original (less than 200 away from the chassis number) and the engine size is stated as 2498.

I have no interest in the vehicle or its sale, just using a motor trade look up service to provide the data.

hope this helps to clear up the question of import.

Kind regards

Andrew

4 minutes ago, brydon said:

Hi

The DVLA chassis number indicates a 1967 build IRS RHD Overdrive car, the recorded engine number would suggest it's the original (less than 200 away from the chassis number) and the engine size is stated as 2498.

I have no interest in the vehicle or its sale, just using a motor trade look up service to provide the data.

hope this helps to clear up the question of import.

Kind regards

Andrew

So neither fish nor fowl :ph34r:

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

No Bob 4a came out in 65, mine is a C reg although obviously an import thats its original build date.

Stuart.

IMG_4695.jpg.62b07e3173f5a4b08bf4a0dc2cd3b1ec.jpg

OK, I'm wondering about my Dove then, GPH359C first registered Feb 1965.  It had side repeaters on front wings, & a wooden dash, but solid rear axle.

I assume TR4 type chassis.     post-12009-0-41156700-1478603517_thumb.jpg     Dove_2.thumb.jpg.02f64c9f5e376cc3d064691a4e9e0b50.jpg    click on to enlarge

Maybe by then they were mixing & matching parts from both ?

Bob

Edited by Lebro
10 minutes ago, Lebro said:

OK, I'm wondering about my Dove then, GPH359C first registered Feb 1965.  It had side repeaters on front wings, & a wooden dash, but solid rear axle.

I assume TR4 type chassis.     post-12009-0-41156700-1478603517_thumb.jpg     Dove_2.thumb.jpg.02f64c9f5e376cc3d064691a4e9e0b50.jpg    click on to enlarge

Maybe by then they were mixing & matching parts from both ?

Bob

There was 303 TR4s produced early 65 before they started making the 4a Your Dove was definitely built on a TR4 but I suspect someone before you got it added the repeater lights and chrome strip from a 4a

Stuart.

Yep, that's what I always thought, & added the wood dash.  I suspect the front wings were replacements judging by the state of the inner wings, which I had to replace !

Bob

4 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Yep, that's what I always thought, & added the wood dash.  I suspect the front wings were replacements judging by the state of the inner wings, which I had to replace !

Bob

They were more than likely from a 4a complete in that case as new wings for 4/4a/5 have always come un-pierced

Stuart.

12 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Ah well all in the past now, as far as I know that car is deceased (an EX Dove) bereft of life ----  etc !

Bob

Thats a shame as theres not that many about.

Stuart.