Anti-theft for your TR

A battery quick connect with the little knob you can take with you and a fuel shut-off valve but neither one of those will stop someone with a flat bed and a winch…

Apart from some form of immobiliser/ wheel clamp there's not much you can do really.  A soft-top gives no protection at all against entry.  One of the best measures against casual theft is the fly-off handbrake on sidescreen cars - it even fools MoT testers. 

If a professional wants the car it will soon be hoisted inside a truck whatever method you use. 

I have come to the conclusion that car alarms are pretty useless.  False alarms are so common that no-one takes notice any more. 

..A Shot gun cartridge in the drivers seat cushion? 

Having recently bought a cordless angle grinder I have concluded not a lot of lock on anti theft devices would delay the determined thief.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
3 hours ago, RobH said:

Apart from some form of immobiliser/ wheel clamp there's not much you can do really.  A soft-top gives no protection at all against entry.  One of the best measures against casual theft is the fly-off handbrake on sidescreen cars - it even fools MoT testers. 

If a professional wants the car it will soon be hoisted inside a truck whatever method you use. 

I have come to the conclusion that car alarms are pretty useless.  False alarms are so common that no-one takes notice any more. 

I never heard about the fly-off handbrake...  Ok I supposed it was a a special mechanism to lock the parking brakes... :-)

Removing the distributor head can help but you need to open the engine cover.

Even Gps tracker can be fooled. 

If they come in your soft-top only to eat their sandwich it is not so bad...  

Edited by Michel Higuet

A fly-off handbrake works the opposite way round to a conventional lever.  You push the button to lock the  brakes, not to release them. To release you just pull the lever back slightly and then let it 'fly' forwards. 

cheap n cheerful sim card-based tracker hidden wherever you fancy - gives you a sporting chance of locating the vehicle after its been nicked. As mentioned earlier, not much will stop a flat-bed and a winch.

...... Andy

15 hours ago, AndyR100 said:

cheap n cheerful sim card-based tracker hidden wherever you fancy - gives you a sporting chance of locating the vehicle after its been nicked. As mentioned earlier, not much will stop a flat-bed and a winch.

...... Andy

No good once its in a shipping container though. No signal.

Stuart.

I am afraid one has to be very careful where we leave a TR unattended, whatever devices we may have for our cars. I have a battery disconnect, hidden fuel cut-off & a couple of steering wheel lock devices but I still worry about where I leave it. I get a little paranoid to be honest & I am always checking it at car shows or cafe stops etc! The World we live in I am sorry to say.

3 hours ago, stuart said:

No good once its in a shipping container though. No signal.

Stuart.

Agreed - if someone is fully committed to the theft we are unlikely to see the vehicle returned, but it could help for the less professional tealeaves.

…….. Andy 

23 minutes ago, AndyR100 said:

Agreed - if someone is fully committed to the theft we are unlikely to see the vehicle returned, but it could help for the less professional tealeaves.

…….. Andy 

Sometime naive and lucky...
My son “some idiots last night moved and left my Golf in the middle of the street!”
Me: “That has nothing to do with the hidden switch that we installed together?”

A colleague "Leaving the supermarket, some idiots had fun detaching my trailer and left it in the middle of the passage..."

Some modern cars lock on all the brakes for various situations like a minor bump and rescue companies then have great difficulty towing them away or loading onto a trailer for repair. Maybe a device to lock on all the brakes might be a deterrent. Don't know how this could be done on a TR but I guess some of the more technical readers in our midst could advise or may even have done this themselves.

Or maybe a great big capacitor wired up to the battery and a couple of wires to the drivers seat. 

Keith

1 minute ago, keith1948 said:

Maybe a device to lock on all the brakes might be a deterrent.

Nothing that you couldn't defeat quickly by cutting the brake pipes.  Messy but effective. 

Loving this "Or maybe a great big capacitor wired up to the battery and a couple of wires to the drivers seat." and the shot gun cartridge as back up!

As for locking all the brake on, very easy these days thanks to the dragstrip boys. My neighbour has a line lock  fitted on his front brakes so he can "warm up" the rear tyres on the stirp. All you would have to do is fit it to the main line for all four to operate. Its a small in-line solenoid with a switch on the dash which you could put anywhere. 

Saying that I don't fancy the pressure in the system for all that length of time (I'd probably have a puddle in each corner with mine  :ph34r:)

Couple of thoughts, if they are after YOUR car (vin/ model type) then they have to know where it is. So, most likely at home in your garage, they'll drag it out with a truck

However, if at a show, IWE etc, then it's an opportunist looking to steal a TR, and all you have to do is make yours harder to steal than the next guys TR

Finally, if you're away touring, nobody knows you're there, you're probably OK. The local guys are after a modern golf or similar and would not know what to do with a 50/60yr old car................I've parked LNK all over Europe, no problem

...........and remember some days even the owners can't start them :rolleyes: :lol:

Ps. In your local group ask about car theft. In the North London Group, only one car stolen in the last 20 years, from a car show, driven out, it was parked oof down, doors locked but no anti theft devices (and finally, make sure you have agreed value)

all good points Mike, I think the percentage of stolen cars to the amount on the road/shows/display and head home with their owners must be very low, you only get to hear about the ones nicked, and no one posts " had another great day out and my car didn't get stolen". Perhaps there's a little bit of Daily Mail influence in the wind?

I've parked mine all over the place, some of them very dodgy (industrial units/loading bay at the Rotunnda/NEC/Olympia/Back streets of Beckton and throughout the year in the last 80,000+ miles but do have a fixed roof. And I guess "they" really don't know what it is so they'll move on.

The only report I have of one of "ours" being stolen was in the early 60's when everyone's key fitted and they knew how a fly-off handbrake worked :lol:

With the amount of cordless tools available grinders/drills etc it doesn’t matter what you fit l have a transponder type immobiliser fitted just to stop the passing thieves but if it goes it goes the insurance will cover it l certainly don’t worry about where l leave its certainly not going to ruin my day l just enjoy it whilst I own it 

Chris

I have a crook lock style lock for my TR which I use. I did look at the type that fits over the handbrake lever and gear lever but no good for the TR because the gear knob unscrews so easy to remove that one. 

I remember hearing about a driver in Manchester who thought he could fool the thieves by removing the steering wheel of his classic mini (some years ago now). The car was stolen and found some time later with no steering wheel still but with a wrench clamped onto the steering column. So if you have a steering wheel lock make sure you can't just take the steering wheel off. As Chris has just posted, if they are determined then very difficult to stop them.

Hidden devices probably best bet. I was going to suggest maybe a lockable bonnet lock but from the many reports of the bonnet jamming closed then maybe we don't need one of them!

Keith