Suddenly scary noise

Everything was fine with this engine until yesterday, starting from the start of a little ride test, an intermittent noise while driving, nothing when stopped but today same thing and with car stopped I can play with the accelerator and the noise appears from times to times. the noise is loud and sounds like something is seized and running without oil, high-pitched and metallic. Like a water pump bearing. The noise "seemed" to come from under the valve cover but nothing abnormal at first glance. I removed the alternator belt but no play on the water pump or alternator. In the front housing with the timing chain? How to pinpoint the sound?

20230924_154835.jpg

20230924_154816.jpg

Hi Michel

Did you run the engine with the alternator belt off ? The best way to pin point a noise is use a long screw driver place the blade on certain parts of the engine you wish to listen to and the handle to your ear you should be able to pin point the source of the noise this way 

Chris

16 minutes ago, trchris said:

Hi Michel

Did you run the engine with the alternator belt off ? The best way to pin point a noise is use a long screw driver place the blade on certain parts of the engine you wish to listen to and the handle to your ear you should be able to pin point the source of the noise this way 

Chris

I try the long screw driver but didn't pinpoint anything, the sound is not constant, I came to the same idea this afternoon, to close the valve cover and to run quick round the corner. 

Thanks

+1for loose water pump pulley 

check crank pulley and alternator pulley also  check alternator is secure 

Beyond that it could be a broken timing chain tensioner. 

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

The construction need a SOLID washer under the nut, not a standard one.

And even with that the construction is poor. I explained that in another post.

BTW in IMPO most failed water pump bearings are only not tight nuts.

Repaired with a new pump because it comes with a solid washer and the nut tighted by the swap.

Edited by Z320

Hi everybody,

This morning I removed the rocker pedestals, check everything, adjust valves clearance ( by the way for Piper cams .014" = .30mm and 016" = .35mm a curious conversion no? )

Made a quick test run but at the start I could already ear the problem was still there ( without the fan belt of course ). Difficult to pinpoint the origin of the sound.

The sound in the voice file is not very good but I the beginning the "metallic coughs" appears and later disappears. Next opening the front carter I suppose...

Voice 003_sd.m4a

Edited by Michel Higuet

I didn't believe in the tension chain but why not believe in a miracle, No miracle in fact...

The sound seems coming from the block motor and maybe "maybe" ( just an impression, nothing sure ) more from inlet and exhaust side... The sound come and go, when going smooth revolutions, oil pressure always round the 70 l/s. A little play between woodruff key and hub pulley but nothing new here. 

A head gasket would give a constant sound, clacks and you need overhitting and bad cooling to ruin a head gasket, idem pierced piston, Nice colour on the 4 sparks. 

Removing housing cover plate finally not a terrible job... consolation, consolation... 

Nobody has a Bat man as friend with oversized ears?

20230925_150106.jpg

20230925_150118.jpg

Could you drain off a little oil, say half pint to see if any swarf in it, what about camshaft bearings, they would sound from inside motor block.

Know any friends (doctors) who have a stethoscope you could borrow.

RobG

7 minutes ago, RobG said:

Could you drain off a little oil, say half pint to see if any swarf in it, what about camshaft bearings, they would sound from inside motor block.

Know any friends (doctors) who have a stethoscope you could borrow.

RobG

You don't need a doctor friend - get one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325824144735?hash=item4bdca1e55f:g:6kkAAOSw3ktlDt5M&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwG8XhydkCtsd0hoe3lZHq3VTzwcylA%2FxNCLTfZrcMH%2Bn

Not expensive and always useful

Cheers Rich

1 hour ago, rcreweread said:

I didn't knew that, I just ordered it. I have read about broken crankshaft but don't know the symptoms. I will put the housing cover plate in place and the belt to make a test Friday when the stethoscope arrive.  

Edited by Michel Higuet
On 9/24/2023 at 5:00 PM, Michel Higuet said:

Everything was fine with this engine until yesterday, starting from the start of a little ride test, an intermittent noise while driving, nothing when stopped but today same thing and with car stopped I can play with the accelerator and the noise appears from times to times. the noise is loud and sounds like something is seized and running without oil, high-pitched and metallic. Like a water pump bearing. The noise "seemed" to come from under the valve cover but nothing abnormal at first glance. I removed the alternator belt but no play on the water pump or alternator. In the front housing with the timing chain? How to pinpoint the sound?

20230924_154835.jpg

Hi,

you use solid spacers between the rockers instead springs.

Do they spin free if you try to do this?

Ciao, Marco 

7 hours ago, Malbaby said:

Was the oil slinger on the front crank OK?...ie. still enlocated?

And the sound is not coming from the rear of the engine/clutch area??

The oil slinger is in the right position but not enlocated, no key there to located. The sound doesn't seems located to the front or rear. Caution with "it's seems ".

I make shure cylinders 1 is on the compression stroke, both valves closed.

Take my multiple flexible nylon robe which I have for this job on all vehicles,

spark plug out and guide some of it with a 15 mm tube in the cylinder.

Keep in mind where you are and want to turn, before or after TDC.

Or with the engine in the car: 1st gear in, wife on the brake if your handbrake works poor.

Have much success 

Marco

Edited by Z320

I rebuild the front this morning, everything with the belt too. But because the stethoscope come only Friday and no cooling water inside I will check the heather motor fan who doesn't start anymore.

The graphic of the sound capture: started with the noise and then the noise disappeared one moment... 

Screenshot_20230926-111800_Voice Recorder.jpg

Screenshot_20230926-111823_Voice Recorder.jpg

Edited by Michel Higuet

Hi Michel

Try removing plugs and listen into each cylinder in turn as engine rotates. You might be able to narrow it down to one cylinder. Just wonder if a piston ring has broken up. If it is just one cylinder then put a bit of engine oil into plug hole and see what happens as engine rotating. If noise goes away then you have narrowed it down to that area.

Fingers crossed for you

Keith