Automatic choke

Hi Folks,

a few times recently  I have forgotten to push the choke in on my TR4A HS6 carbs.  The car runs OK but am using more fuel than needed.

Does anybody know if any form of Auto choke control was ever made for the HS6

If so did it work OK

If not has anybody come up with any ideas to assist the stupid (me)

Roger

36 minutes ago, RobH said:

SU have this rather expensive device:

https://sucarb.co.uk/technical-chokes-thermos-auxiliary-enrichment

I think a lamp or buzzer would be simpler (and much cheaper)

That was fitted to Jaguars up to 1971, controlled by an "Otter" switch in the thermostat housing then they went to a bimetallic strip controlled one that was controlled by exhaust heat piped up to it. The first type was relatively trouble free as it was basically a small auxiliary carburettor that fed into the intake manifold and you knew when it was working as you could hear the sucking sound it made drawing air in. The second type was notoriously unreliable and the unit was horrendously expensive to replace as well. (Also fitted to some of the big Austins too)

Definitely best off with a warning lamp or buzzer!

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Roger - how about rigging up a self contained led with a switch mounted on a clothes peg which you clip on when the choke is out and put the led on - you shouldn’t be able to miss that and at least it would be “authentic”!

cheers Rich 

Hi Roger,       The Triumph 2000, 2.5 range had a switch mounted on the choke cable body, Rimmers, ( UGH..... yes I know!!) have the part under 137607 for around £12 and you probably would have to get one of the ranges choke cables as well, but I'm sure you could stage a work around and have a nice bright LED in your face!!                               Cheers Rob      

I once had a 1959 Rover P4 and that had a warning light that came on if the choke was out and the engine was up to temperature. Easy enough to wire up.

It also had a fuel gauge type sender fitted in the engine sump. At the press of a button the fuel gauge turned into an oil gauge. (But only when the engine was not running, of course.)

They were very advanced for a 1950’s car.

Charlie

Many decades ago, my Uncle owned an Alvis Graber 3-litre, which was equipped with twin SUs and one of those small, thermostatically-controlled SUs feeding into the inlet manifold between main the SUs - it seemed to work well and had the advantage that he was not moving the jet assembly in each of the main SUs each time he started the car, so they didn't leak.

Incidentally, the Alvis engine had the same bore & stroke as my 4-pot TR2, but it had 6 cylinders.

Ian Cornish

6 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Rich,

I went   to great lengths in re-making the saw tooth retainer on the choke cable so as not to need the clothes peg.

I'm sure i can do something.

Roger

Roger - I know you don't need the peg because of your skill in restoring the original, but you surely wouldn't be able to miss the peg if it was put on as a reminder even though it was doing anything with the choke cable!

cheers Rich

1st click on my choke knob raises idle speed from approx 700 to 900 RPM, but no enrichment (used till pulls away without hesitation), 2nd click raises it further to around  1100 RPM, & applies a small amount of enrichment (used for 1st quarter mile or so), 3rd click used immediately after starting (on 4th click) for 20 seconds or so.

HS6 carbs

Bob

You could do what my father in law did on his "imp" put a big sticker on the dash "CHOKE" mind you he should have put one on to remind him is foot stayed on the clutch, fitted 3 clutches in about 10,000 miles and he still blamed the car and sold it saying he felt sorry for the bloke who bought it saying it was bad design, in his next car (allegro) he seemed to get it sussed he went everywhere in 1st accept a local road bridge which he went over in 4th.. bless him..

Phil..