Energy use legislation

It seems that the house of commons has seen fit to pass a bill which includes sweeping powers of compulsion including huge fines and imprisonment for people not complying with energy policies, and for all household appliances to be 'smart' so they can be remotely controlled. 

Incredible overreach by a bunch of numpties who just do not understand what they are enacting.  Let's hope the Lords throw it out. 

https://davidturver.substack.com/p/criminalising-net-zero-disobedience

9 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Sadly once elected the useless bu99ers do as they want not what they were  voted in for

Roger

Nothing new there then

Absolute loons.

If implemented it would destroy the housing market, personal wealth and the ability of most to be able to afford to move house. They best build some big prisons. 

More worrying is x having the ability to effectively switch your house on or off but we will let you cook some woke vegan vomit to warm you up when we turn your heating off.

I predict mass social unrest and riots if they tried this for real.

Personally I'd suggest people don't vote for any of the current parties - what then? It would seem democracy is dead anyway.

Is this active digital discrimination?

The NHS has an entire department assessing it.  
https://digital.nhs.uk/about-nhs-digital/corporate-information-and-documents/digital-inclusion/supporting-digital-inclusion-locally

12 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Is this active digital discrimination?

The NHS has an entire department assessing it.  
https://digital.nhs.uk/about-nhs-digital/corporate-information-and-documents/digital-inclusion/supporting-digital-inclusion-locally

It is a problem. I have neighbours who do not use the internet. Myself I cannot use a smart phone being unable to make the fast finger motions. Its not merely an issue with connectivity, although 4G is the best we can expect. FFTP is a pipe dream out here in the sticks.

Peter

Whatever government that is in power pass lots of bills but then civil servants and councils and utility companies and multinationals are supposed to carry out the policies. This is where it all breaks down.

Net zero is a completely unattainable target. It's a bit like trying to reach infinity. If we all have to replace log burners, open fires, gas boilers, washing machines, fridges, freezers, radiators, gas and electricity meters, petrol and diesel cars, landline phones etc. then the energy this will consume will put us in a carbon deficit for decades to come and bankrupt lots of people. If houses can't be sold without the appropriate energy certificate and have therefore to be rebuilt then at what energy cost. The housing market will crash. There is also the need to triple the national grid to provide all the electricity we will all need for our electric car chargers. etc  I have read that the bill for only part of this futile dream is over £3 trillion at todays figures. If HS2 is anything to go by then add a few more zeros and think in years for it all to happen. By then it will all be obsolete and we will all be on a new vision of net zero.

If we don't comply are we really going to be fined and go to prison with the prisons are already full to bursting. If hundreds of thousands of these cases go to court then it will be years before they can work through the backlog of cases and appeals.

Sadly those dreaming up these ideas seem to have no grasp of reality.

Keith

1 hour ago, keith1948 said:

Sadly those dreaming up these ideas seem to have no grasp of reality.

The members of parliament who pass such legislation are by and large devoid of any engineering or scientific knowledge let alone much common sense.   They are therefore unable to grasp the impracticalities of the thing they are enacting.   Long gone are the days when governments tried to improve the  lot of those they govern - now it is government by Tik-Tok and Twitter solely with an eye on the next election and the most 'likes' they can muster. Pathetic.

Legislation that imperils the financial stability of a large fraction of the population - roughly 22 million house owners - cannot work. Governments must work to achieve a reasonable consensus with the electorate or they will be replaced. The legislation is of course devoid of practical answers, the MPs as Rob points out, almost all devoid of comprehension of engineering or science. Thatcher abolished the CEGB and left the grid to the mercy of market forces with the result it is now in such a perilously small margin between supply and demand. And that's before we are all supposed to drive electric, heat electric, cool electric and cook electric. When this legislation is more widely known, I can see the Tories being submerged next election and the Greens being obliterated. Idiots all.

Peter

God help us if the communist looney left get in it will be the end of any incentive to work hard and provide for yourself and family. 

Andy

Which 'lot ' are  you referring to?  The whole farce was originally kicked off by Ed Milliband and co.  This is just the latest iteration in the national suicide.  The people have never been asked about it - it was just imposed. There is no (major)party which opposes net zero so effectively we voters are just sidelined.  

Edited by RobH
30 minutes ago, Peter Cobbold said:

Our supplier Scottish Power are taking action. Today's post brought a pamphlet "How to prepare for power cuts".

1. Don't have a smart meter so they can't just switch you off

2. Make sure you have a log burner

3. Have a back boiler in a fireplace so you can have hot water and a warm room

4. Stock up on candles and torches. A wind up torch and a wind up radio are useful.

5. Don't have an electric car - have a petrol or diesel instead.

6. Have your camping stove and gas canisters at the ready.

7. An old fashioned gas cooker that doesn't need electricity would be handy.

8. Have a phone land line with the handsets connected by wire. Works in a power cut. Mobiles can run out of charge when you need them.

Wait a minute though. Several of these ideas aren't net zero and could land you in trouble with these new laws. Do I care? Not really.

Keith

23 hours ago, keith1948 said:

1. Don't have a smart meter so they can't just switch you off

2. Make sure you have a log burner

3. Have a back boiler in a fireplace so you can have hot water and a warm room

4. Stock up on candles and torches. A wind up torch and a wind up radio are useful.

5. Don't have an electric car - have a petrol or diesel instead.

6. Have your camping stove and gas canisters at the ready.

7. An old fashioned gas cooker that doesn't need electricity would be handy.

8. Have a phone land line with the handsets connected by wire. Works in a power cut. Mobiles can run out of charge when you need them.

Wait a minute though. Several of these ideas aren't net zero and could land you in trouble with these new laws. Do I care? Not really.

Keith

An excellent list Keith! This Country has gone completely bonkers!

Whats bonkers is sitting back and letting it happen without making those taking decisions that will affect you, the value of your home, the financial costs to you, even your way of life, aware of your thoughts, not saying anything where it might count. How many of you have written to your MP, explaining your displeasure. Stand up or shut up would be my father’s words. Make you feeling known where it might have an effect. 

Edited by Misfit

Quite right Derek, l have done just that, not that I expect a reply....

Edited by RobH

The list Keith has produced is spot-on, I can tick to all of the items. Perhaps there should be an Item 9, a petrol generator, I have one.

I have sent my MSP and MP, yes, we have two 'Democratically' elected governments and representatives in Scotland, several emails on numerous subjects. Topics include the state of roads, boiler bans, Scotland commiting millions of pounds to developing countries to mitigate so called 'Climate Change', or as the UN General Secretary calls it 'Global Boiling', replies merely reiterate the party line.

As it stands I do not have anyone to vote for, not even a least worse option.       

10 hours ago, Ecosse said:

As it stands I do not have anyone to vote for, not even a least worse option.   

And that just the problem there is literally not a single party worth a vote.

The best thing is for folk not to vote for any of these idiots and await a party that speaks sense and seeks to reduce the population or at least stabilise it, that way there will be enough of everything to go round. Has anyone picked up on labours immigration plans? Avalanche warnings seem appropriate. 

I suppose we could all pile around to these hypocrite politicians homes who will no doubt have cosy log fire in the sticks and be immune to the havoc they are creating. 

Andy

37 minutes ago, stillp said:

Don't hold your breath...

Pete

I won't I can hold it for a loooooong time most likely until they screw the top down!

I have always thought voting for anything other than the larger parties is a wasted vote. I have always voted between those, selecting the one that I felt would most likely do the best for the country. Today I can’t honestly say there is one.

Perhaps if there was a party with which I share views, even though I believed it’s was highly unlikely they’d get a majority. If I just felt there was a good chance they’d take enough seats to be able to stop the looney undemocratic laws, like those recently debated. Those that will criminalise many of their normally law biding constituents.

I’ll take that risk. I say risk, is it, with this crowd perhaps the risk is not to. 

Our MP is as useful as a chocolate teapot. Written to him many times but have not yet been able to knock him off the fence and actually make a decision or viewpoint on anything. However if there is a suitable photo opportunity he is there like a shot. Funnily enough he doesn't want a photo opportunity being knee deep in sewage in the village. Can't think why.This apparently is outside his remit to get involved with. Our district and county authorities are just as bad with one exception.

Just had a contact from an insurance company quoting for our house insurance wanting to know if we have open fires or log burners. Is the chimney lined and what with. How often is it swept professionally. (I have done it for last 40 years but that doesn't count). Is the timber in the house treated with fire retardant. (By the time the main timbers are on fire the rest of the house will have disappeared). Do we have a gas boiler. How many fire extinguishers do we have. When were the electrics last checked (I keep an eye on all this but not being 'qualified' it doesn't count). Has the house ever flooded since it was built. (Tricky one this since I don't have records going back to 1650). What are these people on I wonder. The quote? - how about £988 per annum and that includes a discount. Needless to say I won't be taking them up on their "award winning insurance quote". Their words not mine.

So as a result of our politicians obsession with net zero etc we can expect insurance companies to formulate their policies accordingly. Next thing will be council tax bands based on whether we are considered green or net zero. This also extends to parking charges based on how green is your car. My Triumph is racing green but that doesn't count. 

Well when we all meet up in prison for doing 1mph over the speed limit or driving more than 20mph in Wales, or falling foul of ULEZ, or having a log burner or open fire or gas boiler, or not having the authorised amount of loft insulation, not having a smart meter etc etc then we can reminisce about the 'old days' of steam trains, coal fires and frost on the inside of the windows in winter. No global warming then. The experts back in the day were predicting the next ice age.

Happy days

Keith