Tr4a Filters on standard carbs.

Just a bit of a update on this. 

I was looking at the K&N Air filters Round Straight and Round Conned . I fancied the conned  ones as per Andrew's picture at the beginning of this post thinking more surface area better air flow. However I spoke to the guy who tuned my TR who also took the original filters out of the cases saying they were suffocating the breathing on the car.

He also sells a limited range of K&N air filters. He said there is no difference in terms of performance between the Round Straight and Round Conned filters.

They only way you would see a difference would be to put ram air ducts inside the filters.

I then spoke to K&N direct who said the round straight filters as per Colins picture above give a very marginal better performance but only because there is slightly more free air around the outside of the filter but it is very marginal. He says in both cases the carbs will only ask for the amount of air required for the mixture and both filters are more than capable of supplying more air than is required on these carbs. 

The conned ones do look a bit sexxier tho, however the round straight ones are on a few days delivery the Round conned one's  are on backorder from the USA 8/10/12 weeks delivery.

Phil.

Hi Dean, in case you hadn't seen, and maybe of interest..  I've recently added ram-air ducts into the (new) air filters of my TR4A < here >

I've stuck to the oval shape filters because those give a great perimeter, and therefore greater surface area, than a round one of the same depth, where diameter is limited by the proximity of the inner wheel arch. 

New filters shouldn't be a constraint to air available to the carburettors,  but of course the manufacturers are only specifying new. They couldn't possibly assess how quickly a filter may get clogged, in every owner's driving environment. Some manufacturers do however make mention of the size or fineness of their filter's elements. The finer will usually get clogged up more quickly. 

I wonder how many of us go down a dusty track, perhaps onto a show-ground, and then remove the air filter to shake it out or vacuum it ?  

How well foam ones work over the long term -versus- paper elements is something I have not read up on, but logically a concertina paper element ..of the same overall dimensions (d x l) as a foam one.. has a greater surface area.  The surface area of a concertina'd element is not easily determined though, because of the tight inside corners within those folds must surely restrict air flow.   

It seems as if paper elements are treated to repel water, but again I don't know how well different types of filters perform in damp / road spray conditions.

You'll note that I don't have shroud around my car's radiator, so cooler air can flow around to the air filters (and auxiliary components).  I've not experienced overheating with the TR6 fan, but then my car's engine isn't 'tuned'.

Pete

I also chose the best version from the above diagram, made my own, & fiited them inside my modified filters (see beginning of this thread)

198416558_Studsfitted.thumb.jpg.ab59157ce8ccdcaf88344b1c538b9628.jpg  2102081423_Afterpolishing.jpg.84d11ca753fc77f69ffbfe6ac4f50bfb.jpg  165913222_Oncar1.thumb.jpg.99b3abcdb8595171b3f9c18beb75c2b7.jpg

Bob

5 hours ago, Lebro said:

I also chose the best version from the above diagram, made my own, & fiited them inside my modified filters (see beginning of this thread)

198416558_Studsfitted.thumb.jpg.ab59157ce8ccdcaf88344b1c538b9628.jpg  2102081423_Afterpolishing.jpg.84d11ca753fc77f69ffbfe6ac4f50bfb.jpg  165913222_Oncar1.thumb.jpg.99b3abcdb8595171b3f9c18beb75c2b7.jpg

Bob

very nice too.

I have just fitted a pair of K&N copy cone shaped filters, they were £25 each from Bull Motif. They look exactly like K&N but without the logo stamped in. I had a good look at the filter element and it looks well made and no visible difference to the K&N filter I had on my Austin. Time will tell.  I am hoping they can be cleaned and re oiled like the K&N but there were no instructions, guess I will find out in another 5,000 miles.

I removed a pair of TR4 type oval filters, the front one I previously had  to squash at the lower front edge to get clearance to the inner wing. Before binning them I removed the outer perforated paper layer to look at how dirty they were and was surprised that the previously light yellow elements were black all over after about 5,000 miles use, and the muck had evenly coated the elements right down in to the folds. They obviously do a good job and  they are good budget alternative to the original TR3 type wire mesh filters, if you can even call them a filter, more an intake silencer I think.

Ralph

Hi Folks,

just as an aside, I have the largish round K&N filters on my 4A and found that under certain running conditions the front one would hit the wheel arch.

Looking at various wheel arch shapes I decided to indent the wheel arch - this was surprisingly simple.

A firm bash or two with a round headed rubber mallet produced what I was after.  Job done. 

Roger

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Folks,

just as an aside, I have the largish round K&N filters on my 4A and found that under certain running conditions the front one would hit the wheel arch.

Looking at various wheel arch shapes I decided to indent the wheel arch - this was surprisingly simple.

A firm bash or two with a round headed rubber mallet produced what I was after.  Job done. 

Roger

Yep, did that to mine too :ph34r:

Bob

4 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

I have just fitted a pair of K&N copy cone shaped filters, they were £25 each from Bull Motif. They look exactly like K&N but without the logo stamped in. I had a good look at the filter element and it looks well made and no visible difference to the K&N filter I had on my Austin. Time will tell.  I am hoping they can be cleaned and re oiled like the K&N but there were no instructions, guess I will find out in another 5,000 miles.

I removed a pair of TR4 type oval filters, the front one I previously had  to squash at the lower front edge to get clearance to the inner wing. Before binning them I removed the outer perforated paper layer to look at how dirty they were and was surprised that the previously light yellow elements were black all over after about 5,000 miles use, and the muck had evenly coated the elements right down in to the folds. They obviously do a good job and  they are good budget alternative to the original TR3 type wire mesh filters, if you can even call them a filter, more an intake silencer I think.

Ralph

Hi Ralph, are these the ones you fitted to your TR3A, were they a good fit ?

IMG_5704.png

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Folks,

Roger

Ive had to do that on Weber equipped engines with the larger K&N a rubber mallet worked a treat and didnt even mark the paint.

Stuart.

21 hours ago, TR Rob said:

Hi Ralph, are these the ones you fitted to your TR3A, were they a good fit ?

IMG_5704.png

Yes Rob, those are the ones, and even cheaper, although mine were postage free.  The use of the thick cork gasket is necessary because the centre bolt fouls the dash pot without it which dismayed me a bit to start with, but I now know that the K&N are exactly the same and also come with the thick cork gasket. Incidentally I don`t know where one could obtain said gasket should it need replacing in the future unless it is available through K&N agents.

It seems they all sell them as fitting the HS6 carbs with no mention of the H6 type, but they will fit these too.

Ralph

20240223_091248.jpg

20240223_091309.jpg

Edited by Ralph Whitaker
7 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Yes Rob, those are the ones, and even cheaper, although mine were postage free.  The use of the thick cork gasket is necessary because the centre bolt fouls the dash pot without it which dismayed me a bit to start with, but I now know that the K&N are exactly the same and also come with the thick cork gasket. Incidentally I don`t know where one could obtain said gasket should it need replacing in the future unless it is available through K&N agents.

It seems they all sell them as fitting the HS6 carbs with no mention of the H6 type, but they will fit these too.

Ralph

20240223_091248.jpg

20240223_091309.jpg

Thanks Ralph…..

On 2/22/2024 at 9:59 AM, RogerH said:

Hi Folks,

Roger

One of K & N’s has a cutout to avoid the wheel arch. Fitted by the previous owner so I did not have to take Roger’s action!

Just joining in here, another vote for K&N. Photo shows LNK when she was on SU's (before the Weber's). Very pleased with them and the Weber's are also K&N, why wouldn't you !

Please wait while image is uploading...

20150321_135937.jpg

Mike - I think that if you take off rapidly in 1st gear, there's a chance that the cover on the leading filter will hit the inner wing.  This happened a few times in 4VC until 

I devised an engine restraint (see TR Action 130, Technicalities CD Section G15-G19) to prevent this.

Ian Cornish

19 hours ago, ianc said:

Mike - I think that if you take off rapidly in 1st gear, there's a chance that the cover on the leading filter will hit the inner wing.  This happened a few times in 4VC until 

I devised an engine restraint (see TR Action 130, Technicalities CD Section G15-G19) to prevent this.

Ian Cornish

Use the cut away version on the front carb.