Tr4a Filters on standard carbs.

I've just had my TR4a rolling roaded and it runs a lot better now however the guy who did said the pan filters on the carbs were strangling it, he has taken the foam and inner mesh out of the filters and suggested I buy some K&N filters. Does anybody have a recommendation to make with reference to the best K&N Filters to fit to a TR4A.

air filtera.jpeg

Edited by phil Dean

Agree the cone ones are good, but you could instead modify your existing filter to be wider.

you just need to buy some suitable foam, & some expanded metal. source some longer bolts, a bit of cuting of the metal, & secure in a circle using pop rivets.

Job done!

IMG-20200720-WA0003.thumb.jpeg.067c83cc79427a8e6c8f1e456d097774.jpegIMG-20200720-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.ca1e21fa1f9050cb452dad2903e9b342.jpegIMG-20200720-WA0004.thumb.jpeg.5ebe62131f46969118a22836a9a23833.jpeg2025715831_Fitted1.thumb.jpg.fbe430b737cb6db3bc6f4323ba97c612.jpg.3625b38351ab7f8ad6f4a90cbd3cb205.jpg473031564_Fitted2.thumb.jpg.47d4af4d07fba9d7d33e0a2bc3aa6597.jpg.177c608cceef1489bee44efe881554d7.jpg1420210473_Bothmeshes.jpg.b86824060d6dc9f31389c97e9f221b82.jpg  click on to enlarge

Bob

I looked into this a while ago and opted for the cone-shaped K&N's on my 4. 

If i ever get some spare time i would like to make an airbox with a cold-air feed from the radiator duct - but it never seems to get to the top of the to-do list :)

........ Andy

I would try swapping in more “breathable” foam first. The depth of the filter body shouldn’t effect airflow as much as better media. Plus it’s a quick (cheaper) thing to try.

Jim

I have the K & N filters shown here with the cutout on the left one to clear the front wing. They have always appeared to work well with regular cleaning.

IMG_0315.jpeg

I have the K&N 56-9132 Custom Racing Assembly filters on my 4A, these were the one recommended to me by my engine builder for what is a good fast road engine ( 89mm liners, Piper yellow cam, stage 2 head etc etc.)  They have the offsett attachment hole that raises them clear of the wing.  They do a great job for me, though they are due a clean this weekend.

20230816_195510.jpg

20230816_195625.jpg

Edited by Colin Symonds

I use standard filters.

While I did some measurements with different low pressures years ago I fitted a pickup in the rear one to a water column gauge.

And to my surprise I found out the pressure inside and outside is the same —-> the filter has no resistance.

Possibly some of you, like me, did not expect this.

AIL4fc_Uq1eUYk3CDUwPGTaIIryCx2b-OC-NOr45

AIL4fc9pJwY8ruvwG6KNtuCz19bfKJzqqrZEkZUJ

Edited by Z320

Wow there's loads of info there thanks. I noticed on the K&N website thy do a deeper pan filter, I hadn't considered that they might have to be offset so they dont touch the wing so maybe the cone filters might be the way to go, Bob I like your idea and I don't mind a bit of fab work but its school hols and I am on Grandad duties alot in this case I might have to put my hand in my pocket and just buy. 

Phil.

Colin: I have tried and failed to find the K&N 56-9132 Custom Racing Assembly filters on the K&N website and elsewhere - can you tell me where they may be found?

Thanks,

Ian Cornish

1 hour ago, ianc said:

Colin: I have tried and failed to find the K&N 56-9132 Custom Racing Assembly filters on the K&N website and elsewhere - can you tell me where they may be found?

Thanks,

Ian Cornish

https://www.knfilters.co.uk/56-9132-custom-racing-assembly

......Andy

Sorry, I was confused. 

I have the 56-9132 filters on 4VC, but I was wondering whether the cone-shaped filters, as shown by Andrew, might give slightly increased clearance for the lead carburettor (pots 1 & 2). 

I tried to find them, but failed because K&N's search facility wants to known car make/model etc, so one seems to be unable to get past the questions.

A link would be very helpful.

Ian Cornish

If you look further down the page you can search products by other attributes including dimensions:

https://www.knfilters.com/search/universal/

https://www.knfilters.com/search/universal/tapered-conical-air-filter/viewall

Edited by RobH
2 hours ago, ianc said:

Sorry, I was confused. 

I have the 56-9132 filters on 4VC, but I was wondering whether the cone-shaped filters, as shown by Andrew, might give slightly increased clearance for the lead carburettor (pots 1 & 2). 

I tried to find them, but failed because K&N's search facility wants to known car make/model etc, so one seems to be unable to get past the questions.

A link would be very helpful.

Ian Cornish

I think this is the one you are referring to - but do fully-check the dimensions in the spec-sheet to be sure it meets your needs.

https://www.knfilters.com/56-9330-custom-racing-assembly

...... Andy

Thanks, Andy.

What a pity that there is no dimensioned drawing, as there is Height 53, then Overall Height 57.  I'll have to compare with the filters which I have at the moment.

Ian Cornish

3 hours ago, james christie said:

Wow! K&N are sure proud of their filters. I think I’ll stick with the more modest ones I have!

james

I paid about £80 each for mine.  The cheapest I can find at the moment is about £90.

https://www.mlperformance.co.uk/products/k-n-56-9132-custom-racing-assembly

Colin

2 hours ago, Colin Symonds said:

I paid about £80 each for mine.  The cheapest I can find at the moment is about £90.

https://www.mlperformance.co.uk/products/k-n-56-9132-custom-racing-assembly

Colin

They certainly aren't cheap - I kept an eye out with various suppliers and managed to get a pair from two different places for £55 each, but i did have to be patient :) 

5 hours ago, ianc said:

Thanks, Andy.

What a pity that there is no dimensioned drawing, as there is Height 53, then Overall Height 57.  I'll have to compare with the filters which I have at the moment.

Ian Cornish

overall height probably includes the decently-made cork gasket.

28 minutes ago, Drewmotty said:

Theres always these:
https://www.angclassiccarparts.co.uk/products/triumph-5981/tr5-tr250/engine/stainless-steel-cone-air-filter-hs6-su-tr5

I can’t comment on the quality but if I needed some I’d give them a try at this price. 

yep - they are very similar in design - just don't have the K&N filter element.

• 2 weeks later...