The Crooked House

The Crooked House in Himley used to be a great pub, but it was sold to a private buyer last month and has now burned down. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-66421163

I used to have fun taking visitors there when working in Kingswinford. There are a few surfaces that look as if they slope up but actually slope down, so if you knew the place it was easy to win a bet on which way a marble will roll!

Pete

Edited by stillp
4 minutes ago, stillp said:

The Crooked House in Himley used to be a great pub, but it was sold to a private buyer last month and has now burned down. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-66421163

I used to have fun taking visitors there when working in Kingswinford. There are a few surfaces that look as if they slope up but actually slope down, so if you knew the place it was easy to win a bet on which way a marble will roll!

Pete

Theres a lot of rumours flying round online that it was deliberate

Stuart.

Well, sold privately, buyer states that it won't open as a pub again, then catches fire a month later...

The restaurant at the back had to be evacuated occasionally when the methane monitors detected high levels of gas from the mines underneath. Might that have something to do with it?

Pete

38 minutes ago, stillp said:

The restaurant at the back had to be evacuated occasionally when the methane monitors detected high levels of gas from the mines underneath. Might that have something to do with it?

Pete

Only if someone lit a match ;)

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Theres a lot of rumours flying round online that it was deliberate

Stuart.

It happens all the time round here to historic buildings that are refused planning permission. The Great Barns in Harmondsworth several years ago and The Dowerhouse in Harlington are just two examples. We have also lost several very old pubs the same way.  If I said who the purchasers were you would call me racist.

I see Roger beat me to it.

Edited by SuzanneH

Not unique to London believe me.

We have had one listed Georgian warehouse protected also for the bat roosts it contained go up in smoke then demolished and a new housing estate getting built just 2 months later. This has been followed with two churches one of which contained priceless wood carvings predating the civil war go up in flames again replaced with housing while in Leeds and Bradford quite a few Mills with listed status have been lost and replaced with housing or allowed to deteriorate to the point of collapse first then go for housing. I think a lot of deals are cut under the table as occasionally the corruption comes to light. Same applies to the Green belt which has disappeared.

It seems too much of a coincidence especially with regard to the mills with the subsequent "developers" often being previously declined planning.

People often go on about Third world corruption, try looking closer to home!

Stuart.

8 minutes ago, PodOne said:

Not unique to London believe me.

We have had one listed Georgian warehouse protected also for the bat roosts it contained go up in smoke then demolished and a new housing estate getting built just 2 months later. This has been followed with two churches one of which contained priceless wood carvings predating the civil war go up in flames again replaced with housing while in Leeds and Bradford quite a few Mills with listed status have been lost and replaced with housing or allowed to deteriorate to the point of collapse first then go for housing. I think a lot of deals are cut under the table as occasionally the corruption comes to light. Same applies to the Green belt which has disappeared.

It seems too much of a coincidence especially with regard to the mills with the subsequent "developers" often being previously declined planning.

I think our Council has got wise to this. The Dower house has stood with scaffolding for many many years after the fire and is falling down/deteriorating but the Council hasn’t given way yet. Nor have they for the pub that was demolished overnight, no planning permission is forthcoming as yet.

The barns in Harmondsworth have long since become a housing estate. These are just a couple of examples, we have so many examples you just couldn’t count them up.

If the site is bulldozed and a housing estate is built lets hope that the locals make it very clear to any perspective house purchaser that underneath their chosen house is a uncharted maze of old mine working and underground streams that have caused substantial subsidence before and may well do again in the near future. It should also be pointed out to them that because of the history of the area it would be almost impossible to insure against any damage cause by land movement.

Hopefully it would result in the developers ending up with a load of houses impossible to sell.

Would anyone really want to live somewhere like that?

Charlie.

7 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

If the site is bulldozed and a housing estate is built lets hope that the locals make it very clear to any perspective house purchaser that underneath their chosen house is a uncharted maze of old mine working and underground streams that have caused substantial subsidence before and may well do again in the near future. It should also be pointed out to them that because of the history of the area it would be almost impossible to insure against any damage cause by land movement.

Hopefully it would result in the developers ending up with a load of houses impossible to sell.

Would anyone really want to live somewhere like that?

Charlie.

Youd be surprised, they buy houses on flood plains and wonder why they flood!

Stuart.

5 hours ago, stillp said:

Well, sold privately, buyer states that it won't open as a pub again, then catches fire a month later...

Pete

Funny you mention that as a house 4 doors away last winter had a similar accidental fire, now the council seems very happy for it to be redev:ph34r:eloped 

On 8/6/2023 at 3:23 PM, stuart said:

Youd be surprised, they buy houses on flood plains and wonder why they flood!

Stuart.

Very true Stuart! There is an area in Cirencester called Watermoor. What did they do? Built a Tesco & an Aldi on it amongst others & wonder why it floods! Planning madness.

On 8/6/2023 at 6:54 PM, Steve-B said:

Funny you mention that as a house 4 doors away last winter had a similar accidental fire, now the council seems very happy for it to be redev:ph34r:eloped 

When I lived in Reading there was an art deco cinema not far from where I lived that was bought by a property developer but he was limited with what he could do with it because it had grade 2 listing. About 6 months after he purchased it there was an accidental fire ? that damaged the building and it had to be knocked down for safety reasons, I believe they built 20 odd flats on the site

Just look at the top comment here of a Facebook Post about our local Art Deco Regal Cinema that has featured in many TV programmes including Poirot. Everyone knows the score except the authorities who perhaps choose to turn a blind eye, who knows?

IMG_2604.png

And now the pub has been demolished how can fire investigators look for the cause of the fire, suspicious to say the least.

22 hours ago, Grahamgl said:

And now the pub has been demolished how can fire investigators look for the cause of the fire, suspicious to say the least.

The Fire investigation dogs have been in and declared it deliberate from what Ive heard.

Stuart.

No arrests despite speculation 

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/police-dispel-rumours-arrests-crooked-8672609.amp

selling demolition bricks. 
https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/local-news/bricks-demolished-crooked-house-pub-8676949.amp

Apparently the new owners own (in part)  the adjacent waste site and we’re in dispute with the brewery about the shared access road. 
I guess all conveniently sorted now. 

interesting company directorship history for mr and Mrs taylor

http://www.checkcompany.co.uk/director/303913/MR-GEORGE-ADAM-TAYLOR

http://www.checkcompany.co.uk/director/13487616/MRS-CARLY-TAYLOR

2 hours ago, Hamish said:

...selling demolition bricks...

The people selling the bricks are no better than the people who burnt it down and then demolished it.

Life seems to be all about greed and going for a quick buck these days.

Charlie.