11 hours ago, Misfit said:

Ian Tick that didn’t take long 

Just had a fantastic week staying in Dartmouth in July and took a very similar picture. Also had a tour of the naval college, Greenways, Coleton Fishacre, steam train to Paignton, great food and plenty of dry weather! 

Coleton Fishacre is outstanding, I far prefer it to Greenways although both locations are pretty superb.

I use to Walk from Paignton to kingswear via Brixham around the coast. I regularly camped at Mansands. Coleton Fishacre is still a regular visiting spot for us. I’m with John out of the two, manly because of the gardens. Dartmoor and the Southams are others I like to drive too. Not sure where you ate, but some great restaurant and pub food in the area. South Milton sands there is a great little cafe we’re the do light lunches, it’s owned by Michel Cane. Paignton and Brixham have changed drastically, they don’t  do it for me as it once did. Then again I’m older and needs change.  

I’m glad the you enjoyed yourself Ian, perhaps you will fry the trip down the Dart in the future.

I spent 3 months in 1968 in Brixham as  an apprentice, training with Decca, who had a training school in Fore St.

Local girls were most accommodating :ph34r:

Bob

2 hours ago, Misfit said:

it’s owned by Michel Caine.

There's not many people know that. 

Where's this then?

DSCF0798.jpg.d076a7f0e299f4c8fc4f20d0c659995f.jpg

42 minutes ago, RobH said:

Where's this then?

Portsmouth.....HMS Warrior

• 3 months later...

It's a parabolic sound mirror used for aircraft direction finding prior to the invention of radar.  Hythe I think ? 

They are at Greatstone in the Dungeness nature reserve, Kent and they're a Scheduled Monument. They represent the development of the sound mirrors from the smaller round one, through the larger round one and finishing with the large curved wall and were built betwen 1927- 1931

Dave

Edited by DaveB66

I used to live in Littlestone and in school holidays worked on RHDLR. 

The listening walls were easy access then and were not on an island created by removal of large quantity of shingle.  You could hear lots of things moving in the English channel with great ease.

Yep the Pilot well known for fish and chips.