Newbie to the ‘6 forum.

Hi, 

just become the proud owner of a Tr6, having sold my TR2 around 6 years ago.

it’s what I would describe as a mid-price car, as it’s mechanically very good, but needs the usual tidying up of trim, dash, minor paint chip repairs, hood, having had a major rebuild around 30 years ago, with many new panels fitted.

The chassis looks fine , although it’s has a few repairs to outriggers and rear suspension mounts, but not recently, so they  must have been done well. The door gaps are poor, so need some attention.

It will make a good rolling restoration, keeping me busy during the winter.

one thing I would like to do soon is replace the dash fascia, does anyone have an old original one which they would part with?, they’re plentiful on eBay, but even used ones are still expensive, I just need a good pattern, I believe my dash may be a repro as the instruments are not a good fit.

I hope to use the forum much in the future, both for and giving advice, as I’ve been a restorer for 50 plus years, and look forward to corresponding with you.

cheers

Mike

sorry for inverted photo, must be a software glitch.

IMG_0534.jpeg

IMG_0539.jpeg

You seem to have a mix of instruments there with the two main clocks being from a later CR car and the rest from an earlier CP car. That dash actually looks pretty original to me though maybe needing a bit of refinishing

Stuart.

Mike, 

Welcome back to the Forum. 

New dashes are readily available from several sources, but if you want to have a bespoke one made I have an old original dash that isn’t fit for reuse but could serve as a pattern. You’re welcome to that foc. Where are you in the country? I’m in North Notts. 
You say the instruments aren’t a good fit. Does that mean they’re just “loose” in the dash holes? Before changing the dash it would be worth checking to see if they just need new rubber sealing rings to better bed them into the wooden dash and that the clamps are tight on the back. 
Dave McD

1 hour ago, stuart said:

You seem to have a mix of instruments there with the two main clocks being from a later CR car and the rest from an earlier CP car. That dash actually looks pretty original to me though maybe needing a bit of refinishing

Stuart.

The dash looks too light in colour to me to be original and unfortunately it has got damp at some time in the past and caused the varnish to lift. The veneer may have also lifted in some areas? But given to the right craftsman it would be perfectly salvageable. A boat yard is a good starting point for this sort of repair.

Bruce.

Welcome to the forum.

4 hours ago, mleadbeater said:

IMG_0539.jpeg

I find I have much more room on the floor to work if I hang my car from the ceiling with my skyhooks ;):D

Edited by Kiwifrog

Thanks for the welcoming replies, and the photo correcion, plus the humour . Like it :D Maybe a giant baby-bouncer would be worth a thought.

The car is a ‘73, so should it have black or chrome bezels?

Are the chrome and black bezels interchangeable?

Thanks for the offer, Dave, will message you personally.

Being a keen DIYer,  (and Yorkshireman)I will definitely make a new dash myself, I restore cars for the challenge above having one made, and the stress on my wallet would be too painful.

If it is an original dash, it’s definitely been chewed by a previous owner, I’ll post another photo showing this better.

Anyway, back under again, last job to check diff oil, then go for a blast.

Mike

IMG_0535.jpeg

Edited by mleadbeater
Addition

I have re veneered a few dashboards for my car before settling on my current one. It was reasonably easy to remove the old veneer. I found the hardest part was finishing the dash, in the end I used epifanes varnish. I applied a lot of thins coats over many weeks, followed by a few weeks of curing before cutting and polishing. Yours looks like it would be easy to remove the veneer and start again.

I have a CP dash I could lend you if you want to refurb yours whilst using my one to keep driving the car. It isn't a hard job to remove the dash and put in a new one.

You would need to check your chassis number to determine what the clocks should be, a CP prefix would have clocks like the centre ones with black dials or if it has a CR suffix then it would have clocks like the larger ones with chromed outers. Being a 73 its on the change year so could be either. But to make it original looking would mean changing one or other set.

CP Car dash first and CR dash second picture.

Stuart.

Marko 020.jpg

Marko 072.jpg

Welcome to the '6 forum. Lots of good advice and resource here. 

I like a car that's basically mechanically sounds with a some cosmetic things (plus no doubt mechanical items once you use it) required to bring it up to the next level.

The dashboard is a CP version, with the oblong wiper and washer switches, but it could have been fitted at any time over the last 50 years. Once you determine what version you have and which dash you want you'll be ready to make a new one. 

Good luck and enjoy.

Gareth

Hi Mike, I have an old CP bare dash you can have, but you would have to wait until bath and west show to get it. PM me if you want it.

I also have the correct CP rev counter and speedo if you need them also a full set of small gauges if its a CR. These are not free:huh::D

Cheers Clem  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I seem to have a crossover

My car is a  May ‘73, VIN no. CR 8860, so should it have black or chrome bezels?

Lights and Wipers switches are dash mounted rockers. 

Thanks to Clem, I can convert to all black or all chrome bezels. The chrome instruments have a voltmeter, mine has an ammeter, so must be wired for this. 

confused,

Mike

It should have chrome bezels as per the speedometer and tacho you already have. The dash is from an earlier model. 

Gareth

1 hour ago, mleadbeater said:

thanks again

Gareth,

as my car has an ammeter, if i get some chrome smaller instruments, is there an ammeter with chrome, or only a voltmeter ?

The wiring will be different, although it shouldn’t be too hard to bypass and fit a voltmeter.

Mike.

Hi Mike, 

If they are gauges from a CR TR6, you'll only find a volt meter available. There maybe ammeters of the same size with a chrome bezel for other vehicles. But you want the needle to face the right way, CP they are attached above on a CR they are attached below, so you might just be better getting all the correct small gauges so they match. 

The wiring is slightly different, the connection at the ammeter would need to be connected together to allow power to continue without the ammeter. The voltmeter seems to be connected to a white wire that goes to the alternator charging light and earth to make it work. 

Gareth

Gareth,

thanks for this info, my thoughts on converting back to a voltmeter are the same as yours. i have the owners manual, which shows a “battery condition gauge”, connecting one between earth and the ignition switch after the contacts should do it.

I’ll fit something else in place of the dash dimmer, maybe a clock, any suggestions?

cheers

Mike

4 hours ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

I found this article which is called put a clock in it and shows a CR with chrome bezels.

Gareth

I like the idea of adding a clock though I wonder where the dash dimmer switch went?

13 hours ago, Steve-B said:

I like the idea of adding a clock though I wonder where the dash dimmer switch went?

Probably in the bin, it's pretty useless :lol:

Like the look (and, more importantly, the price) of the quartz clock,  and, has the benefit of an independent supply, will order one.

I quite fancy a starter button , or even an ignition/starter switch, in place of the dimmer.

I also need to move the screen wash switch, currently down on the central console, it needs to be next to the wiper rocker switch on the dash, where it will be much more convenient.

thanks for all your comments,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...