Well that interior is very......................BLUE!

Not the nicest Ive seen.

Stuart.

13 minutes ago, stuart said:

Well that interior is very......................BLUE!

Not the nicest Ive seen.

Stuart.

Its a personal preference obviously but would have to agree, not my cup of tea but looks like it has been done neatly.

10 minutes ago, Gary F said:

I like the neat touch with the Cooling Fan for the Fuel Pump, I wonder if it works? 

Doubt it.Only going to draw air in from the boot.

Stuart.

27 minutes ago, Gary F said:

I like the neat touch with the Cooling Fan for the Fuel Pump, I wonder if it works? 

I think sometime folk over complicate things ?  Stick a modern Bosch pump in there, and you'll be good for years, & in all climates, with reliability.

Cheers.

Very BLUE! even the spark plug leads - blue. but a nice example if you like Blue.

19 hours ago, stuart said:

Doubt it.Only going to draw air in from the boot.

Stuart.

Yes, I suppose the best way if your using the original Lucas Pump is to duct cold air in from outside somehow, with the help of a cooling fan to assist air flow maybe.

Opinions vary on the Cooling coils which use the Return Fuel from the Metering unit to cool the pump.

I fitted an heat sink to my Lucas pump designed for a Cycle Trainer, I don't really know if it helped, the pump still got very hot in the summer even with this fitted!

I was also considering using a Diesel Fuel cooler fitted in the return from the Metering unit but never got around to doing this modification 

I suppose fitting the Bosch Pump solves the overheating issues.

Gary    

NewCoolingFins1.jpg

1 hour ago, Gary F said:

Yes, I suppose the best way if your using the original Lucas Pump is to duct cold air in from outside somehow, with the help of a cooling fan to assist air flow maybe.

Opinions vary on the Cooling coils which use the Return Fuel from the Metering unit to cool the pump.

I fitted an heat sink to my Lucas pump designed for a Cycle Trainer, I don't really know if it helped, the pump still got very hot in the summer even with this fitted!

I was also considering using a Diesel Fuel cooler fitted in the return from the Metering unit but never got around to doing this modification 

I suppose fitting the Bosch Pump solves the overheating issues.

Gary    

I fitted a coil to an original Lucas pump on a 5 local to me and that works well on that one.

Stuart.

On 7/5/2023 at 3:19 PM, TRTOM2498PI said:

I think sometime folk over complicate things ?  Stick a modern Bosch pump in there, and you'll be good for years, & in all climates, with reliability.

Cheers.

35C abroad and my 'Bosch type' pump was struggling, 2 episodes of fuel starvation stuck at the side of the road for an hour waiting for friends to bring me some cold fuel.

On a previous trip with a Lucas pump fitted with a cooling coil it gave me no problems.... 

There's a lot of factors that come into play with this subject.

14 minutes ago, OldBob said:

35C abroad and my 'Bosch type' pump was struggling, 2 episodes of fuel starvation stuck at the side of the road for an hour waiting for friends to bring me some cold fuel.

On a previous trip with a Lucas pump fitted with a cooling coil it gave me no problems.... 

There's a lot of factors that come into play with this subject.

I concur, but generally speaking, for every 10 people who say they have no issues with a Lucas pump, there are 20 people who have ditched Lucas for Bosch.

1 hour ago, TRTOM2498PI said:

I concur, but generally speaking, for every 10 people who say they have no issues with a Lucas pump, there are 20 people who have ditched Lucas for Bosch.

Mostly because "So an so said it was an essential upgrade"

Stuart.

From a heat-dissipation perspective (read:  the rate at which the fuel in the tank warms up), the original Lucas pump is preferred, it draws less current than any Bosch pump suitable for this service conditions (pressure and flow rate).

Waldi

And FWIW: I run a Bosch pump.

11 hours ago, TRTOM2498PI said:

Back when genuine 996 Bosch pumps were available new I'd probably be doing the same Tom. Some of the compatibles and 'bosch type' pumps being offered now are certainly not as good - whether they are any improvement over a good Lucas set-up is the question.

Bob

On 7/10/2023 at 12:05 PM, TRTOM2498PI said:

Or had issues.

And a Bosch pump or Sytec equivalent is a lot cheaper than a rebuilt Lucas unit when the time comes to replace it.

AFIK the Sytec equivalent is still available.

15 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

And a Bosch pump or Sytec equivalent is a lot cheaper than a rebuilt Lucas unit when the time comes to replace it.

AFIK the Sytec equivalent is still available.

Agreed.  The other thing here is, is if you're a stickler for originality, or want to continue using a Lucas pump (which is fine), is trying to find someone that is any good at rebuilding one, who knows what they are doing, regardless of how simple they may be ?

Edited by TRTOM2498PI

Only reached £37k and there have been no offers. Would have thought it was worth more than that although the crash pads need replacing with original black vinyl to make it less blue?

Another TR5, also in very good condition sold recently on the same auction site after not reaching its reserve but sold for £40K after seeking offers.

Sign of the times?

Rich