When Petrol runs out

4 hours ago, John Morrison said:

They call old cars smelly polluting things, they want to get close to a Camel!

John

Especially in the desert in Oman where they lay dead and rotting by the side of the road having been hit by large transporters.

Muscat to Salalah across the desert by taxi.

Edited by SuzanneH

Hi Folks

I was in Dubai in the late 80's, before people were going crazy about the environ,  and the hotel blurb about Dubai stated that  the had at least 150 years supply of oil under their sand.  30 or so years later they should have 120 years left.

And that is just one little spot in the sand.

Roger

But hasn’t the population nearly doubled and the use per person has too. 

so couple year left. 

Run out? 

Not going to happen according to the abiotic oil camp, who contend ( with an impressive argument ) that petroleum is produced in the Earth's mantle at a depth of 60 miles through a continuous reaction of iron oxide, calcium carbonate and water. 

Link to an article:

https://principia-scientific.com/oil-is-not-a-fossil-fuel-and-agw-is-non-science/

Nice notion for motorheads, eh?

Edited by Tom Fremont

Tom,  I dont buy that. There are microfossils in oil that are useful to the industry for deciding where to drill. eg

https://geoexpro.com/the-predictive-power-of-palynology/

Abiotic processes of formation would not correlate with those pollen grains etc.

Peter

Hi Peter,

The article is pretty detailed and the links go much further. In one of them it says the petroleum molecule requires the kind of heat ( 1500C ) and pressure ( 750,000 psi ) present at 60 miles below the surface. If they're right, it's far below any plant life ever, so throws the ball back to the " fossil " camp to explain their theory. The claim that the American scientist in Houston built a reactor capable of those conditions and produced petroleum with those ingredients alone is impressive - to me anyway. 

Cheers, 

Tom

It has been my understanding for some time now that if we burn all the known reserves of oil the planet will die of CO2 poisoning. In other words for all practical purposes we will never run out of oil. 

Rgds Ian

14 hours ago, Tom Fremont said:

The claim that the American scientist in Houston built a reactor capable of those conditions and produced petroleum with those ingredients alone is impressive

He's produced a synthetic petroleum. That doesn't prove that that's how the oilfields were formed.

Pete

Calcium carbonate rock (chalk,limestone, marble) is the product of once-live organisms.  So any reactions using it cannot be said to be abiotic.

Peter

10 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

It has been my understanding for some time now that if we burn all the known reserves of oil the planet will die of CO2 poisoning. In other words for all practical purposes we will never run out of oil. 

Rgds Ian

Yes ! The oil will run out of us............