Using tr6 daily

Hi all. 

I had to drag my tr6 into daily service today as we now only have one modern car. See photo of TR at Bristol premier inn.  It got me thinking. How many of you use your tr6 as a daily drive. 

Tim

20230516_184307.jpg

From about 1998 to 2005 my Stag engined TR250 was my daily driver, did about 70,000 miles over that period.

It also lived outside so I used to remove the bumpers during the Winter to avoid the chrome corroding and I took the drivers carpets out as well so I could sponge the puddle out of the footwell before driving off in the mornings.

It leads a much easier life these days (apart from the track day thrashings and Autosolos)

Hi Tim

I have a TR6 and a 3A that have been my every day cars since I retired eight years ago.

My wife has a modern VW that gets used for carrying bulky things like trips to the tip and I use the TRs for every thing else 

George 

One of my customers used his TR2 as his daily driver up until not long before he passed away a couple of years ago.

Stuart.

I’m about to start doing so as my employer decided to make 20% of us redundant :wacko: last week, so either until such time I get a new job, OR I feel like going back in our hybrid, TR6 will be my mode of transportation B)

On 5/19/2023 at 3:16 AM, dingle said:

Driving the TR6 daily or frequently is the key to reliability.

Berry

Agree w Berry here.  Unfortunately due to floods/fires/pestilence in NZ recently it's not been a good year for the TR6 to get out much.  It's correspondingly sulked, predominantly in the rubber seal department.  The PI doesn't really like traffic and tends to foul plugs despite a Prestige rebuild so I suspect she'd do better as a daily if I was to convert to EFI (which I don't want to do at this point).

I do run a '74 Alfa as a daily though.  It's been in "trailer queen" neglect for awhile before me so there's been tiny issues to iron out for the same reason as above, but now I've done that and added an electric fuel pump and electronic ignition it is more reliable than many cars I've owned.  Nothing has stranded me at the side of the road with the Alfa and only once did the TR6 ever need a tow when the suspension mount fractured (Koni damper "upgrades").

Bonus aspects are an infinitely nicer car to be in on work commutes instead a sea of black/beige plastic, people who smile and let you in instead of cutting you off and an anti theft device built in of manual gearbox and choke means 15yo toerags won't nick it...

5 hours ago, matttnz said:

The PI doesn't really like traffic and tends to foul plugs despite a Prestige rebuild so I suspect she'd do better as a daily if I was to convert to EFI (which I don't want to do at this point).

You might consider Weber DCOEs which I've found to be the most reliable component on the entire vehicle after 140K miles on a set which was already vintage when I got them. No power compromise, no altitude sickness and very simple by comparison. They do have to be jetted correctly and this forum has plenty of successful recipes to share. Plugs on mine never foul and get changed after 30K miles whether they need it or not. The engine doesn't fart or burble on overrun, just purrs or roars and keeps its tail nice and clean.

Running TR6 with holley and supercharger,  also seems pretty good. With regard PI, it is possible to tune to get it to run very reliably. I noticed that the ones I had setup to triumph baseline tended to run too rich. This is kinda designed into the system to cover the lack of acceleration enrichment. But in most cases it is set too high. You can move it a little leaner and all good. 

Tim

Aye, I think this set in richness is the issue when I hit modern traffic.

Triple Webers a known thing but I kinda like the geekiness of the mechanical PI, and presently I've got the twin Solex Alfa to trundle about in, which (bonus in cyclone hit Auckland) doesn't leak as much...  Wish I could find a hard top over here

Price of 3 Webers (good ones, not knock offs) vs EFI hiding inside Weber-like bodies doesn't seem toooo dissimilar as far as I can tell.